Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Insurance and non disclousre

Options
  • 14-08-2013 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Not sure if I'm in the right section of not.

Have a bit of a dilemma ,

I took out an insurance policy in 2010 with a well known insurance company, and I informed them about two previous claim's I had .

Now they have sent me a letter saying that I failed to disclose information about another claim and they want me to contact my old insurance company to get the details, this was a claim in 2006 for €400 only. which I honestly had forgotten about.

But now I'm afraid that If I sent the details into them they will cancel my policy for failure to disclose information or something like that.

My Policy is due to expire 15th Sept anyway, so would I be best to ring them and tell them to close my policy, as if they cancel it, when Im looking for insurance with somebody else, one of the questions they do ask" have you ever had insurance policy cancelled"

Any suggestions folks. as I dont know what to do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

My advice would be do as they ask. They know you have had a claim that wasn't disclosed. Get the information that they require and when you are sending it in tell them what you have said here - you genuinely forgot about it. If you have been with them since 2010 and have been claims free with them then you have been a good customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

clint123 wrote: »
    Not sure if I'm in the right section of not.

Have a bit of a dilemma ,

I took out an insurance policy in 2010 with a well known insurance company, and I informed them about two previous claim's I had .

Now they have sent me a letter saying that I failed to disclose information about another claim and they want me to contact my old insurance company to get the details, this was a claim in 2006 for €400 only. which I honestly had forgotten about.

But now I'm afraid that If I sent the details into them they will cancel my policy for failure to disclose information or something like that.

My Policy is due to expire 15th Sept anyway, so would I be best to ring them and tell them to close my policy, as if they cancel it, when Im looking for insurance with somebody else, one of the questions they do ask" have you ever had insurance policy cancelled"

Any suggestions folks. as I dont know what to do.

I cannot understand why they would want to know about a claim that is now 7 years ago. When you renew each year they generally do not need to know about any claims 3/5 years prior to your renewal.

How did they find out about the undisclosed claim at this stage? I believe they are not allowed look into this unless you lodge a claim, have you done so?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭clint123

I had a bloke out looking at some cracks in a wall from them, that we thought was serious, but it turned out to be nothing and never claimed, so unless he supplied them with information I'm not sure.

Advertisement