Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trainee Network Admin

Options
  • 14-08-2013 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi Everyone.

I am starting a networking course in September(CCNA). I would like to change career paths and head towards networking as I'm currently in Desktop Support and have been for 6 years now.

I am looking to gain some experience while doing the course by possibly working for a company for a day or 2 a week (for free) or leaving my current position and starting a new company, trouble is no company looks like they take on trainee network admins.

Can anyone who has been in this position help me out or give me advise on how they got onto the networking path

Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
    Michael

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

IMO, That position does not exist. If you have no I.T experience look into support roles and move on from there.

If you are looking for 2/3 days keep an eye on job bridge, of course you won;t get paid but you will gain the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

As somebody who worked in Deskside, I moved to a Networking software company to gain experience and it didn't work out so I would say not to look into Tech support roles that you think might help with experience of Networking.

I've since moved to a small company where I'm doing Server, VM, Deskside, Telephone & Network work - with that said, it's mainly sysadmin work but I'm getting more exposure to Networking & Firewall work - little by little. It's slow progress, but it's progress nonetheless, the exposure I'm getting requires me to research and via that I'm learning.

So based on my experience, I'd look to try and get in with a small company with the potential to grow rather than a larger or multinational company, you might end up being a jack of all trades but you should hopefully get the initial exposure to networking that you're looking for. Add that to a CCNA cert and you could be in line to either move up to a more Network responsible role in that company, or gain enough experience to look for a Network Engineer role

Advertisement