Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Stag do tips

Options
  • 14-08-2013 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Looking for a few tips.

Stag group of 12 gents all in early-mid 40s heading to Belfast next month for one night.

Looking for a few hotel and pub tips in city centre.

Hotelwise, somewhere to lay the head for the night is quite sufficient. Also, do all hotels have a resident's bar as I understand that the pubs close early-ish on a Saturday night?

Any recommendations for late bars and what time do these close at? Regarding pubs, will probably try the usuals eg Robinsons and the Crown etc but would be glad of any alternatives that are good for a Saturday night out for a "grown up" crowd!

Also, despite our age, will a group have difficulty in getting in anywhere (we'll prob break it into smaller groups).

Also, any restaurant recommendations? One of our group recommended Cosmo's buffet. Not so sure about this myself. Will try pizza, chinese etc but obviously not looking for a quiet couples type restaurant.

Finally, any recommendations for a good city centre cafe for a Sunday morning brekkie before the road home?

Many thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ulster_Beef

Hello. I don't really go onto this forum much, except rugby but Ill help, even though Im a bit late.

As for hotels, all will have a bar and will basically be the same, unless you go to 5* etc...

Normal bars close at 1/130... with others staying open til 3/5am

The bars you mentioned are fine I guess but you should deffo try the duke of York and filthy mcnasties is good. It has several rooms with a club for younger people upstairs, but outside has a nice beer garden. Ill link you pics at the bottom. The duke of York has a cobbled street which you can drink on and has great atmosphere.

As for food, Belfast gets a good name for it now but you need to know where to go I guess. Victoria Sq has a few places, chains like franky and bennies, cosmo as you say and others.... the centre itself isn't short of places so youll not be stuck. I cant really recommend anywhere as I don't know what youll like but theres no shortage of pizza and Chinese. Belfast is pretty compact so youll be close to everything.

http://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/01/03/61/1036104_3e684303.jpg

http://www.thefilthyquarter.com/wp-content/gallery/the-secret-garden/filthymcnastys016.jpg

The top being duke of york

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Thanks for the reply; we're not going for another four weeks so your suggestions are very welcome.

The Duke of York looks good, will deffo try that out. Filthy McNasty's looks like it would attract a younger studenty crowd? We're looking for a bar(s) that caters for the more mature client;)

Also any bars that play a bit of alternative/indie music e.g. Smiths, Stone Roses, Radiohead, Manics etc?

Thanks again!!

Mcnastys has a very mixed crowd that get along, its not like you'll be in with a group of 18 year olds. It has live music too.

The merchant/ cloth ear cater for the older crowd, as does cafe vaudeville. They appear to be posh places but the crowd is dead on

If you like rock music you should deff check out the limelight. Just google limelight Belfast and you'll get what you need

Thanks again. Really appreciate the suggestions.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I was on a stags in Belfast a couple of years ago with most of the guys being family men in their mid 30s. The one thing that surprised us was the attitude of bouncers to the group. We were refused entry in two pubs due to the "large" group (about 12 also). We ended up having to split up into two groups to get in anywhere.

I'd recommend Jury's Inn with the multi story carpark just behind it being useful for overnight parking.

• Advertisement

Tabnabs wrote: »
    I was on a stags in Belfast a couple of years ago with most of the guys being family men in their mid 30s. The one thing that surprised us was the attitude of bouncers to the group. We were refused entry in two pubs due to the "large" group (about 12 also). We ended up having to split up into two groups to get in anywhere.

I'd recommend Jury's Inn with the multi story carpark just behind it being useful for overnight parking.

I'd say that we'll also end up splitting up. We're all in our 40s. Amongst our group are two Gardai, teachers, Government officers and a solicitor. We're not exactly a rowdy bunch!!

Tabnabs wrote: »

Yea. When you know to go into groups you don't really notice it, as weve always done it. Bouncers up here are ***** to be honest. They think they are special... Im 6,4 and I often get turned away with the lads but if im with the girlfriend etc im fine... Says it all really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I'd be inclined to agree that Filthy's has a younger crowd, you do get a mix but the majority would be the younger end of things. Duke of York is a great spot.

Looks like the Duke of York is a must visit.

John Hewitts seems to have a good range of craft beer so it's on the list for the earlier drinks.

What's Lavery's like? I haven't been in 20 years since a mate was in Queen's. It used to be a great spot for music back in the day. It seems to have different floors and the back bar and the public bar seem to cater for an older age group?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Massive +1 for the John Hewitt - lots of good beers, mainly local and pretty much always has great music of a night... Only downside is it's so small.

• Advertisement

PGE1970 wrote: »
    Looks like the Duke of York is a must visit.

John Hewitts seems to have a good range of craft beer so it's on the list for the earlier drinks.

What's Lavery's like? I haven't been in 20 years since a mate was in Queen's. It used to be a great spot for music back in the day. It seems to have different floors and the back bar and the public bar seem to cater for an older age group?

Yea, pool room with food upstairs until a certain time then its rock music. Its as mad as every in Laverys haha. Not sure how youd find it now. Look into these bars here, as well as others mentioned

The Apartment (for cocktails)
    The Morning Star
    Whytes Tavern
    Northern Whig

Theres no shortage of places to go to and Belfast is compact so you can walk to all I guess

Yea, pool room with food upstairs until a certain time then its rock music. Its as mad as every in Laverys haha. Not sure how youd find it now. Look into these bars here, as well as others mentioned

The Apartment (for cocktails)
    The Morning Star
    Whytes Tavern
    Northern Whig

Theres no shortage of places to go to and Belfast is compact so you can walk to all I guess

The apartment looks far too trendy for us! I like the look of the Morning Star and Whytes though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Brilliant pub grub in the Morning Star, and very nicely priced!

Advertisement