Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constipation

Options
  • 14-08-2013 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭

Firstly I'm not looking for medical advice I have plenty of that :) more just on how other people have dealt with it.

My little girl has suffered with constipation since she was 2 days old. At first it was because she had high calcium levels, but that's been resolved. It was always soft stools, but lately they've gotten hard which is where I'm hoping someone has tried something that might help diet wise! She already takes lactolose and senokot when needed so its more whats worked for other smallies I'm looking for :)

We've tried diluted prune juice, plums, raisins, grapes, pears, brown sugar in water, oj. Readybrek with a plum pot helped for ages but not anymore. Weetabix constipated her more. Spinach helps sometimes. She's not great with drinking juices and is breastfed. Has anyone tried anything else diet wise that helps?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

I don't know how old your little girl is, but kiwi has really helped with constipation for our little one since she was about 8 months old.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

She's 13 months :) will she eat kiwi straight for you? Can't get her to eat it she spits it out.

She's 20 months now, but I just cut it in half and spoon it out for her. She won't feed it to herself, although in creche she feeds it to herself. They peel it and cut it in to little bits. She won't eat it that way for me though :)

You could try mashing it into her cereal???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Try parsnip. I used to cut them into large hips and roast them in the oven for O. He loved them because they're really sweet when toasted but they've got a laxative effect which is a bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Does she drink water?

• Advertisement

Must get kiwis tomorrow and try again :)

We're having parsnip soup for supper it might help! She does drink water, just not juices

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Mango also works great in this house!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Also try baby massage, it might help move things along.

I find sweet potato great

Any improvement cyning?

Xdancer wrote: »
    Any improvement cyning?

Yes and no. I got a lovely soft poo thurs, but nothing until this evening and it was hard again. But nothing like Wednesday thank god. Just need to keep on top of it with the lactolose and senokot and not let it get so bad, and hope something clicks with her :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement