Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed on IT course

Options
  • 14-08-2013 4:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

hi

i'm thinking of starting a part time course. this one has identified as benificial to the organisation i work in.

The only thing is, I dont have a backround in programming. I mean... i know ZIP about programming. How much of a backround do you reckon would be needed. Would this course start from scratch do you think? or would i need some sort of proficiency in something ?

tried contacting course leader but no reply as of yet.

Any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Courses like that will generally assume that you know nothing about coding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

You be Fine.
    looking at it its going to be Java.

OO Programming Fundamentals OO ->

This Subject is in Semester 1 more then likely it will be in Java, what you learn will be your basic Programming,

Programming Principles ->

This Subject is in Semester 2, it will take off where you left off in Semester 1. If you didn't touch on Array's then this is the place you learn along with while loops and Do while. This should be simple enough. Once you find Semester 1 easy their is no Reason why you wont find this.

Data Structures ->

This Subject is in Semester 3, Now we start getting more in depth. Here you will Learn about how a program deals with Data and Memory. you will learn about Array-List & Link-List another forum of handling Data and moving along the Memory block.

You will also learn about Storing Algorithms. Quick Sort, Bubble Sort, Push & Pop etc.

This can be a headache of a Subject Seen as Storing Algorithms are made for lower level programming like C & C++ it can be a t

Event Driven Programming ->

This Subject is in Semester 4, As it says its all about how to get a Program running by the Events of a User. Here you will learn about Action-Listeners. polymorphism, inner classes and objects.

GUI Development ->

This is your last Java Subject, after 2 Years of Console programming you are ready to program an Interface. you will learn about the MVC.. Model View Controller.

here is what books i recommend
    Java in Two Semesters

Head First Java

Java How to Program

Big Java: for Java7 and 8

and of course

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

If you're concerned, work your way through Greenfoot -it's designed to teach kids programming, but it works well for any beginner. It also emphasises the idea of OO without you realising it.

Advertisement