Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best potty?!

Options
  • 14-08-2013 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭

Any recommendations?!
    No downstairs loo - this will live in living room - behind couch - accessible but hidden. Never dealt with or even seen a potty in use ... Since my own! Can't really do straight to toilet as its upstairs and I've a 3 month old too so can't spend all my time upstairs. She's 18 months and starting to show interest - we are going to hold off if we can but would like a potty to have ready!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

My mum bought ours for a fiver in a mother care sale. Get the cheapest one you can, you may not be needing it for long. Mine used it the first few days and then insisted on the toilet. ..so I ended up getting a toilet seat insert and putting it on the regular toilet. The youngest was 8 weeks when I trained the eldest and we only have an upstairs loo too...but somehow we managed it. I don't quite remember how and it was only last year! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

My mum bought ours for a fiver in a mother care sale. Get the cheapest one you can, you may not be needing it for long. Mine used it the first few days and then insisted on the toilet. ..so I ended up getting a toilet seat insert and putting it on the regular toilet. The youngest was 8 weeks when I trained the eldest and we only have an upstairs loo too...but somehow we managed it. I don't quite remember how and it was only last year! :o

Ok that sounds sensible! And she's a fairly strong willed girl... When she's ready I'd say she'll figure it out pretty quick & won't want help..! What age was she when u trained her? I thought we'd be leaving it a year yet but not sure she'll let us! She's not there yet by any means but there's a definite interest and tells us when pooing.. Also has started to back into corners to do pees - we only just figured out what she is doing!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

We got the potty and step for toilet in ikea a couple of weeks ago. He's taken his nappy off a few times and sat on it, even did a pee and a small poo (tmi!) once but he's still not ready.

I'm going to leave him until late September/early October now.

I'm dreading the mess though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

dublinlady wrote: »
    Ok that sounds sensible! And she's a fairly strong willed girl... When she's ready I'd say she'll figure it out pretty quick & won't want help..! What age was she when u trained her? I thought we'd be leaving it a year yet but not sure she'll let us! She's not there yet by any means but there's a definite interest and tells us when pooing.. Also has started to back into corners to do pees - we only just figured out what she is doing!

He was 2 and a half. He had chicken pox and the nappy annoyed him, plus we weren't going anywhere for 2 weeks because of the pox lol so I took me chances and went for it.

I remember he would come to me and say he wanted to do peepees so id have to dump the little fella in the cot while I sorted the eldest. It actually turned out to be perfect timing because the eldest got as much full on focus as the youngest because of the training.

Any how thats all neither here nor there waffle lol. Good luck with it!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I left it where ever she was playing both times so if it is the sitting room the it was literally in the middle of the floor,at play time it was in the play room for the 1st 2 weeks then moved it to the downstairs bathroom and she has an other upstairs.
    Both of mine took about 2 weeks and were about 2 years and 3 months but we did have a set back with chicken pox for a few weeks.
    I found when they are younger letting them use the potty if they want is great as they feel all grown up and gets them used to it.

Lidl have a nice potty for around a fiver in pink or blue and boots do one for about 3 euro.

• Advertisement
Advertisement