Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failed Leaving Cert Higher Level Maths

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Go out with your mates and soak it all up - you will feel a million times better in their company. Anything else can wait till tomorrow. Trust me, this is not the end of the world, and right now, you need to look at what you've accomplished over the last 18 years of your life and not let this one thing debase all of that.

Go out, grab a few beers, have a lie-in tomorrow, eat a nice breakfast and check back here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Why does it always come back to "go out and get bladdered drunk and everything will be ok".. BS

I presume op you need to pass the maths for college - first of, double check that with the career guidance teacher

Personally, I'd repeat the whole year on a reduced timetable rather than just attempting to do maths on its own (whilst working part time to save for college). I just think it'd be impossible to knuckle down to just one subject.

You can still use this years points next year once you pass the maths, assuming you were otherwise happy with your points.

Talk to your principal too -they are generally very helpful and come across this type of thing every year.

Rest on it, take it easy tonight and things will look better tomorrow.

Appeal, particularly if you felt you were happy with how the exam went.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

happywithlife

That's great advice.

matjoe
    Chin up. Don't feel crap about yourself. This is just a blip in the major scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Flip yeah

Review the paper first - preferably with a teacher in your school that marked the paper / has marked in the past

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

Excellent point.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Appeal ....
    Review the paper first - preferably with a teacher in your school that marked the paper / has marked in the past
    This.

Though in fairness you can't really go down.

Do you need maths as a requirement for the college / course?

If you do, do they offer a maths entrance exam? ... some colleges do for some courses.

If not, are you likely to have the points without it?

Look carefully at all the angles, preferably with a good guidance counsellor.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭mossy95

If you got an 'E' in HL maths its not over!!

Some college courses accept E HL maths!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭MissD93

is there re takes in ul , i seen it some where on facebook ages ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 ahjaysis

Unfortunately, nearly every course in the country requires a pass in maths. Your options are slim.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

OP remember you need 38% to pass a subject in the LC and not 40% as most people think(its in your LC handbook). You could be border line on a pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Appie

ahjaysis wrote: »
    Unfortunately, nearly every course in the country requires a pass in maths. Your options are slim.

Well that's not exactly encouraging. Its not true either-- UCD doesn't have maths as a matriculation requirement, so you could do any of their courses that aren't related to maths or science if you've got the points. A fail in Maths doesn't mean a failed leaving cert, and it doesn't mean you're a failure either. Whether you decide to repeat or not, it'll all work out in the end so try not to worry too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Why does it always come back to "go out and get bladdered drunk and everything will be ok".. BS

Because there's nothing that can done today that can't be done tomorrow, or the next day, or even the day after that. No need to exacerbate any sense of urgency or panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 clairec463

a fair few colleges do second chance maths exams if you do fail it. If you have the points for the course you can then sit maths just to fill the basic requirement you cant then use maths for points though

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭SeaDaily

hfallada wrote: »
    OP remember you need 38% to pass a subject in the LC and not 40% as most people think(its in your LC handbook). You could be border line on a pass.

Can you link to somewhere that actually states this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

SeaDaily wrote: »
    Can you link to somewhere that actually states this?

It's most definitely 38% for a pass in Maths. I'm 100% certain.

It's most definitely 38% for a pass in Maths. I'm 100% certain.

So that's a no then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

SeaDaily wrote: »
    So that's a no then.

Calm down Mr. Grumpy pants, I'll get you a link. :)
    Some candidates awarded a D3 may discover that their total mark is actually below the 40% boundary...

http://www.examinations.ie/candidates/ViewingInfoNote_EV.pdf

Game, set and match, Vito Corleone.

Game, set and match, Vito Corleone.

I never said he was wrong, I just asked for a link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭crow2

I know how you feel, I was having nightmares with HL maths .Thank God I got D3.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭olazbabes

Appeal and View.

Advertisement