Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHICH LEAF BLOWER/VACUUM

• 14-08-2013 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

So ive narrowed it down to two models of petrol leaf blower/vacuum to purchase...the echo es-250es and the tanaka thb 260pf....im mainly going to be using it in vacuum mode with a small amount of blowing.which model would people here prefer or think is better..i have some tanaka garden equipment and happy with them but have also heard the echo stuff is very good especially their leaf blowers as they were the first to make them and are the biggest seller in the states so im just lost on which model to buy??any advice guys :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I bought a stihl blower 13 years ago and its still going strong:

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/blowers-and-shredder-vacs/homeowner-blowers/

will have to get back to you on which model.

As regards a vacuum, it is my experience that they always get clogged and are not worth the money. so it may be better to invest in a better blower rather than waste money on the vacuum part. Once you learn how to use the blower it is easy to form a pile.

Using an aspen fuel will cut down on emissions and smoke that you breathe in, available from your local husky dealer for 2 stroke and 4 stroke:

http://www.husqvarnachainsaws.co.uk/acatalog/Aspen_Petrol_Info.html

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭bazbrady

thanks oldtree,yeah a few friends have some stihl and husky models but I just looking at getting more bang for buck and heard great things about tanaka and echo leaf blowers..surprised about the vacuum getting blocked I was really hoping these hardened steel blades would be strong enough along with the more powerful engines that they would give sufficient vacuum suction but haven't got any feedback from landscapers regular users so I guess from what ur saying I should just not bother with the vacuum.cheers, still not sure which model to buy !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭celticmicky

Out of the two I would choose the Tanaka due to their reliability and parts back up. The blower itself is also light enough and has a good long nozzle (in blow mode).

I second what the poster above says about just getting a blower (although with the Tanaka a vacuum kit can be fitted at a later date). 90% of our customers who are professional gardeners blow the debris into a corner and pick it up manually as it is easier on the machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

bazbrady wrote: »
    thanks oldtree,yeah a few friends have some stihl and husky models but I just looking at getting more bang for buck and heard great things about tanaka and echo leaf blowers..surprised about the vacuum getting blocked I was really hoping these hardened steel blades would be strong enough along with the more powerful engines that they would give sufficient vacuum suction but haven't got any feedback from landscapers regular users so I guess from what ur saying I should just not bother with the vacuum.cheers, still not sure which model to buy !!!

Its the damp leaves that clog, so a vaccum is almost useless here for most of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Stihl sh86 happy with mine, like oldtree says damp stuff can be a problem but when the leaves are dry it's great, so nice to have for one day in three years......!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have a Tanaka TBL 4600 backpack blower, its been very reliable same as all the other Tanaka stuff I have.
    One thing with the handheld blowers you would want a strong arm to use one for any length of time.
    Mine will blow wet leaves and grass no problem.

I can use mine for over an hour continued use with no problems.

It wasn't the blowing that people said is a problem but the sucking which a backpack doesn't do.

I find Tanaka stuff a bit on the cheap side and about 10 years behind on the design front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

monkeynuz wrote: »

I find Tanaka stuff a bit on the cheap side and about 10 years behind on the design front.
    I am puzzled by your comment, Tanaka stuff is built very well, in fact I would say they are one of the better manufacturers with regard to engine build quality.
    2 ring pistons, two sided crankshafts, coated cylinders, these are all signs of good quality build, what do you find cheap about them?
    Design wise I am not sure what you mean? the shape, the colours?
    I don't really care as long as the tool does the job and lasts.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I am puzzled by your comment, Tanaka stuff is built very well, in fact I would say they are one of the better manufacturers with regard to engine build quality.
    2 ring pistons, two sided crankshafts, coated cylinders, these are all signs of good quality build, what do you find cheap about them?
    Design wise I am not sure what you mean? the shape, the colours?
    I don't really care as long as the tool does the job and lasts.

You were puzzled with the other poster as well who said about wet grass and leaves clogging, they were talking about the vacuum feature on a blower/vac not blowing wet leaves and grass lol.

I stand by my point on Tanaka stuff, the first and last time I bought a Tanaka item (small strimmer for light trimming I have 2 others 1 stihl 1 husky for heavier stuff) within 3 hours of use, the tap and go head stopped working and the throttle cable came adrift, none of those things have ever happend with my other gear.

The build quality is just a bit plasticky, the engines may well be good as you say but I go for the overall.

Design wise is ezactly wehat I said, if you actually look at the gear then look at a picture of a stihl or husky from 15 years ago, it will look more like that than a modern strimmer of any make.

They are very behind the times on design of machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭bazbrady

just to follow up have chatted with a few shop owners and alot said the tanaka and stihl would be best and i have asked two landscaping companies which we use in th eplace i work...what im finding out is most prefer the stihl over the tanaka only slightly and the only reason is the anti vibration on the stihl is better than the tanaka over long use.also an interesting point alot them said they vacuum leaves without problems and said alot people try to vacuum up bundles in one go which block it...my friend in question who has a stihl said he regularly vacuums around his site without any problems and says you just need to be sensible ...so all in all im thinking going with a stihl model...

• Advertisement

Oldtree wrote: »
    Using an aspen fuel will cut down on emissions and smoke that you breathe in, available from your local husky dealer for 2 stroke and 4 stroke:

http://www.husqvarnachainsaws.co.uk/acatalog/Aspen_Petrol_Info.html

Aspen fuel is great but phenomenally expensive and out of the question for most pro users as it is I think €28 per gallon!

It is mainly suited to homeowners that would only be using their machines occasionally.

Advertisement