Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Favorite 90's Irish band

• 14-08-2013 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭

A plethora to chose from .Am gonna leave some v popular bands off the list for obvious choices.

Er forgot an other option ..:rolleyes:

Favorite 90's Irish band 106 votes

My Bloody Valentine
    0% 0 votes
    Whipping Boy
    23% 25 votes
    Stiff little fingers
    20% 22 votes
    Engine Alley
    3% 4 votes
    Therapy
    2% 3 votes
    A-House
    12% 13 votes
    Kerbdog
    3% 4 votes
    Lir
    8% 9 votes
    JJ72
    0% 1 vote
    Ash
    6% 7 votes
    Other
    16% 18 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

notnumber wrote: »
    Er forgot an other option ..:rolleyes:
    Fixed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 jossys_giants

EP1, EP 2, Trains Boats & Planes / Grand Parade / Beauty...., and all the amazing singles within each of these e.p's, albums, aided with a brilliant live show, has to be The Frank & Walters

Therapy? / Whipping Boy and NPB close runner ups

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

The Frank and Walters or The Sultans of Ping.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

The Frank & Walters

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

No Bands from Cork Please :pac:
    Never thought of F&W or Sultans of Ping..maybe we can add them to the poll if they are that popular? (I cant seem to edit the poll so unless a mod will?)..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Yeah, Frank and Walters would be my top choice too. None of the others aged as well imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

JJ72 were hardly the 90's?? Or am I that old?

The Frames for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I don't know if one epic album qualifies as a "favourite Irish band" of the 90s but Whipping Boy's Heartworm is my favourite Irish album of the 90s - by a country mile. Probably the only Irish album from that era that I still listen to.

JJ72 were hardly the 90's?? Or am I that old?
    Yeah that one's debatable. They released the singles 'Pillow' and 'October Swimmer' in 1999 so technically they qualify despite really being an 00's band.

Also apart from MBV and Whipping Boy who are my first and second choice respectively, my third choice goes to Rollerskate Skinny. Horsedrawn Wishes is one of the best Irish albums of the 90's in my view and doesn't get the credit it deserves. They sounded like Ireland's very own Flaming Lips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

My third favourite (a one album wonder though) didnt make this list either - Pelvis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 asal cliste

Not sure if they are 90s or possibly 80s but I used to really like Microdisney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭smacg

I would go with the Frames too as Dance The Devil was probably my favourite Irish album of the 90s. Another Irish band I liked were The Pale from back then.

smacg wrote: »
    I would go with the Frames too as Dance The Devil was probably my favourite Irish album of the 90s. Another Irish band I liked were The Pale from back then.

Seen The Pale live circa 1994 and they blew me away I have to say, was singing Butterfly in my head for about 6 months :D

Not sure if they are 90s or possibly 80s but I used to really like Microdisney.
    Microdisney split in 1988. Cathal Coughlan then formed The Fatima Mansions who are worthy of a mention in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 20carrolls

the revenants/stars of heaven , a house , toasted heretic, tfw, fatima mansions, that petrol emotion.....lot of great bands in the 90s

20carrolls wrote: »
    the revenants/stars of heaven , a house , toasted heretic, tfw, fatima mansions, that petrol emotion.....lot of great bands in the 90s

Compulsion and Revelino personal favs as well! Yip the 90's where awesome for Irish music - would struggle to create a decent poll for any other decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

For me the best Irish album was Map of the Universe, by Blink. 'It's Not My Fault' still gets played regularly by me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Bawl and Saville have to be worth a shout.

• Advertisement

Bawl and Saville have to be worth a shout.

wtf? never heard of them ..post a tune

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭bassy

The pogues

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Boyzone, epic band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Engine Alley blazed for a while. And anyone remember the Harvest Ministers?

The Harvest Ministers were Irish? Awesome, I know them from a couple of Sarah Records compilations but never really looked into them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭Epicness

My Bloody Valentine by a million miles. Loveless is a timeless album. I still can't get my head around that their Irish. Just wow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭Free Speech

The Golden Horde

Engine Alley where one of the few bands on this List I had actually seen live during the 90's .. gig-going wasn't a forte back then..but engine alley and their gorgeous drummer Emmaline is a gig that remains vivid in the mind..

For old times sake .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

Still enjoy listening to Revelino and Whipping Boy. Don't know why but I never really count MBV as Irish, reckon they're Irish in the same way as Tony Cascarino and the 90s soccer team ... ....
    ..... waits for someone to take offence and prove me wrong

Don't know why but I never really count MBV as Irish, reckon they're Irish in the same way as Tony Cascarino and the 90s soccer team ... ....
    ..... waits for someone to take offence and prove me wrong
    They're an Irish band in the sense that they were formed in Dublin by a few local lads. They left Ireland because they thought they couldn't make it here and made a few line-up changes along the way. Completely different to your Tony Cascarino analogy, more like the hundreds of players who left Ireland for England because the League of Ireland sucks. However sometimes it's hard to see them as an Irish band because half their line-up is English and they made their name over there rather than over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭outandabout

Stars of Heaven, Revenants, Radiators, Modern Heirs, We Live On Snacks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

The thread started off as who is your favourite Irish band of the 90's. But now it has transcended into people just posting all Irish bands that they can think off, and the more unknown the band is, then the "cooler" they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

The thread started off as who is your favourite Irish band of the 90's. But now it has transcended into people just posting all Irish bands that they can think off, and the more unknown the band is, then the "cooler" they are.
    Harsh. Think you're overthinking this one buddy.

Back on topic, Pighead's favourite Irish band in the 90's were called After Purple.:cool:

No harm in people mentioning a few bands they liked back in the 90's that might not be on people's radar today. Some of them might be well-worth discovering.

However it would be great if people could explain why a certain band is their favourite rather than just naming bands. For example My Bloody Valentine is my first choice on the strength of having released one of my favourite albums of all time, Loveless, as well as releasing two solid EPs in the early 90's, Glider and Tremolo, that are every bit as good as Loveless. If it wasn't for my discovery of MBV six years ago my music taste would be very different today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

Ash all the way, but don't forget there still rocking in 2013, maybe a little less commercial but still there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Were Turn from the 90s? If so, them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Loved A House. But they started out in the 80s. Got to see their farewell gig, slipped in the side door (think it was the Olympia) - quite emotional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Greatest Irish band of the 1990s was Fatima Mansions but they're not down here so I went with MBV. Loved Harvest Ministers too.......'Little Dark Mansion' was a lovely record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Boyzone, epic band.

Could be wrong but Would they be more early 00s. But would be the most ssuccessful bar u2 who I would have voted for by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Rollerskate Skinny

du Maurier wrote: »
    Rollerskate Skinny
    Ah, 'Speed To My Side'. Magnificent.

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Could be wrong but Would they be more early 00s. But would be the most ssuccessful bar u2 who I would have voted for by the way.

Going out on a limb here but I suspect there was an element of sarcasm in his choice.

• Site Banned Posts: 257 ✭✭Driveby Dogboy

the fourth dimension, around the day in eighty worlds, classic album

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭PGE1970

That Petrol Emotion for me.

Chemicrazy is just a stunning album. Scumsurfin and Sweet Shiver Burn are classics.

Notable mentions to Something Happens (first two albums were excellent), A House (On Our Big Fat Merry Go Round), the Golden Horde (only one album:(), the F&W, Whipping Boy and The Stunning.

And, of course, The Smiths/Morrissey. As Irish as it gets!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

mosstin wrote: »
    Going out on a limb here but I suspect there was an element of sarcasm in his choice.

Is it because they wouldn't be considered a band by some people? Not a fan myself but they would be probably the most successful band of that era for sure bar U2 as I said.

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Is it because they wouldn't be considered a band by some people? Not a fan myself but they would be probably the most successful band of that era for sure bar U2 as I said.

True, but we aint here to chat about mainstream bands like Boyzone,U2 or the cranberries..thats another discussion for another forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I see Stiff Little Fingers on a poll for best Irish band of the 90s, that seems very wrong to me.
    Toss up between the Frank and Walters and The Fat Lady Sings. Far too many also rans to go into, it was a very good time for Irish music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭mick121

Lots to choose from in all fairness. Some of my favourites would be Whipping Boy, The Pale,Therapy and on a fun note for a great night of glam rock anyone remember The Glam Tarts? Aaaa the memories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

No love for Toasted Heretic here?

• Advertisement
Advertisement