Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours - 2013/14

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

bassy wrote: »
    lol
    lol

Someone is in a good mood!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭bassy

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Memut Ozil best player in the Prem Lge :D

Arsenal are still gonna win nothing.

One big name signing,that will keep the gooner fans happy.but there still the same as before.

Someone is in a good mood!

Not really,bad business by united this summer or is it no business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

If Fellaini was the answer to the problem area, why was it not done a month ago?

Lets face reality here - there is only one conclusion. Fellaini was not a 1st choice buy. If he was, the £23m buy out clause would have been met a month ago.

He may well have been 4th or 5th choice and Moyes ballsed up the other targets.

Also if Fellaini is the answer, what was the question? What does he bring that was lacking?

Goals? 25 in 151 appearance for Everton is hardly inspiring. 7 in 42 for Belgium likewise.

He's good in the air, a decent passer and a good tackler. Which basically also describes Michael Carricks main assets.

He won't be chipping in with 12-15 goals a season nor breaking any records for assists.

I'm struggling to see it i'll be honest.
    What is your point here, relative to what I wrote? My point was that Moyes dealt with a problem area and Wenger didn't. Did Moyes sign a midfielder, even if you only see him as back-up to Carrick (a point I disagree with but whatever)? Did Wenger deal with their most problematic area? I never said anything about him being first choice. I never said that he should have been signed sooner. I was merely pointing out that your argument that Wenger had done well signing Ozil and Moyes hadn't when signing Fellaini was a bit harsh when looked at in a bit more detail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Ozil is an excellent comparison. Rooney became "surplus to requirements" (it's not the right term but you get the meaning so it'll serve) when they bought RVP and Kagawa last summer and have Hernandez and Welbeck in reserve. Ozil also wasn't quite surplus to requirements either but he was no longer going to be one of the main focuses in that team so selling wasn't the end of the world and may benefit Madrid, given how unhappy he seemed to be.

We also likely would have tried to have bought a replacement if he had pushed for a move. Tried being the operative word, given our dealings this summer.

I think Ozil would have struggled to start for Real this year while Rooney would still be a first 11 player. We'll agree to disagree though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Arsenal are still gonna win nothing.

One big name signing,that will keep the gooner fans happy.but there still the same as before.

We have just signed the best attacking midfielder in world football. 1 defeat in 17prem lge games and with his addition we are certainly title contenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

A "major communication breakdown" might be worse than the impostors. Could do long-term damage to our relations with Bilbao. The impostors could be written off as chancers and even put on Bilbao, it wasn't to do with our end. Depending on the nature of the breakdown though...
    We have just signed the best attacking midfielder in world football.
    You've signed a lad who gasses after an hour in a less physical league and fades in the bigger games. Not Iniesta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

We have just signed the best attacking midfielder in world football. 1 defeat in 17prem lge games and with his addition we are certainly title contenders.

Yah, take it to your own thread....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

kryogen wrote: »
    It could make sense if he thought Evra had this season left in him but wanted to move him on/phase him out then and there was a buy option included in the loan.

Gets to see Coentrao up close and see if he gels in the team and could take over from Evra, also providing cover in a few positions

Too many 'ifs' for me though.

Evra had his best season in a long time last season and I don't think Evra knows what an injury is so I can see him going for another few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

If Fellaini was the answer to the problem area, why was it not done a month ago?

Lets face reality here - there is only one conclusion. Fellaini was not a 1st choice buy. If he was, the £23m buy out clause would have been met a month ago.

Also if Fellaini is the answer, what was the question? What does he bring that was lacking?

Goals? 25 in 151 appearance for Everton is hardly inspiring. 7 in 42 for Belgium likewise.

He's good in the air, a decent passer and a good tackler. Which basically also describes Michael Carricks main assets.

He won't be chipping in with 12-15 goals a season nor breaking any records for assists.

When did I say Fellaini was the answer?

What does Fellaini bring to the table? He will give us more of a presence in the middle, he is an aerial threat, he is a better player then Cleverley who has been Carricks partner in the middle this season so is an upgrade straight away. He provides some cover for Carrick when there was none whatsoever

Michael Carrick as you mention him is not good in the air as you say he is
    He is not a decent passer, he is an excellent passer and not so much a tackler, more an interceptor if ya get me

Moyes ballsing up targets? Think you are under the wrong impression about who handles the transfer negotiations maybe

All in all Im not sure what to make of your post or why you quoted me

• Advertisement

I think Ozil would have struggled to start for Real this year while Rooney would still be a first 11 player. We'll agree to disagree though.

Cool. It's to varying degrees. Rooney was kind of first choice last year but missed out or was out of position in some of our bigger games. Ozil would still have played a huge number of games as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He brings physicality and domination in midfield. Fellaini and Carrick as a midfield 2 is significantly better than any partnership you could field prior to his signing.

Also, it's not really fair to say 25 goals in 151 appearances for Everton and let that be the end of it. When used in a more attacking position last season he got 11 goals and 5 assists in 31 games. To be honest, I would be expecting him to be getting 12 or so goals a season for United, even when played a little deeper than he did for Everton, cause United are going to dominate a hell of a lot more games than Everton did.

Honestly, I think this is a very good signing for ManU. Achieved in a somewhat haphazard manner, but the result is what counts. (I do think you chaps could have done with further reinforcements to really push on though).

You signed Iniesta? Jim White dropped a bóllock not mentioning that......

Keno wrote: »
    Too many 'ifs' for me though.

Evra had his best season in a long time last season and I don't think Evra knows what an injury is so I can see him going for another few years.

Fair enough, that's your view on it, maybe Moyes has a different one? Certainly seems so since he is targeting a left back as a signing

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Lots of posters on here saying that we paid £4m over the buyout clause for Fellaini, yet none of you are mentioning the fact that the actual figure of the buyout clause is disputed. Some reports saying it was 23m, some saying it was 30m. Might that not be slightly important when you are discussing how the deal went? What the fúck is wrong with you people ignoring crucial information like that?

Pro. F wrote: »
    Lots of posters on here saying that we paid £4m over the buyout clause for Fellaini, yet none of you are mentioning the fact that the actual figure of the buyout clause is disputed. Some reports saying it was 23m, some saying it was 30m. Might that not be slightly important when you are discussing how the deal went? What the fúck is wrong with you people ignoring crucial information like that?

I asked earlier what it was and nobody is able to provide the actual figure. Because it's not out there. No doubt some have what they deem to be reliable sources but it'll all just be speculation at this point.

I have to say good business by Daniel levy with the fee he got for bale.

£85.6million for bale and a nice almost 43 million from arsenal for goldfish eyes,so bale only really cost Madrid a little over £42million.good business when you look at it like that for Madrid.

Fair enough, that's your view on it, maybe Moyes has a different one? Certainly seems so since he is targeting a left back as a signing

Yeah, that's what I'm saying though. He must not like Evra.

£85.6million for bale and a nice almost 43 million from arsenal for goldfish eyes,so bale only really cost Madrid a little over £42million.good business when you look at it like that for Madrid.

Has this stopped being the United thread?

You signed Iniesta? Jim White dropped a bóllock not mentioning that......
    Not a lot between the 2, if your going by stats Ozil wins hands down, hes the most assists in the champs lge the last 3 years and is on 47 a piece with Messi in European football (in all competitions) the last 3 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

What is your point here, relative to what I wrote? My point was that Moyes dealt with a problem area and Wenger didn't. Did Moyes sign a midfielder, even if you only see him as back-up to Carrick (a point I disagree with but whatever)? Did Wenger deal with their most problematic area? I never said anything about him being first choice. I never said that he should have been signed sooner. I was merely pointing out that your argument that Wenger had done well signing Ozil and Moyes hadn't when signing Fellaini was a bit harsh when looked at in a bit more detail

my point is that i dont feel Fellaini deals with the problem area. Which , for me, is a severe lack of creativity and goals coming from midfield. An area United were blessed in for many a year.

I don't see many goals or match-changers amongst Giggs, Carrick, Cleverley, Jones, Valencia.

Nani is inconsistent. Kagawa out of favour.

In my opinion, an Ozil type of player was what Utd needed not someone like Fellaini. I can honestly see Rio hitting 60 metre diagonals to fellaini all day long now he's signed.

As for Arsenal, take away the Villa game when they had 10 men and they've had a pretty beast like run in the past 20-25 games in defence and attack. Would def agree they are short on number squad wise though.

Look, for me, Fellaini isn't the answer here and Utd will still be far too reliant on RvP and Rooney this season.

Madrid lost their second best player and payed £85.6million for Bale. In what Universe is that good business?

Not a lot between the 2, if your going by stats Ozil wins hands down, hes the most assists in the champs lge the last 3 years and is on 47 a piece with Messi in European football (in all competitions) the last 3 years.

I'll not go by stats, if that's okay with you? I'll use my eyes. Iniesta is far better.

Anyway, this isn't the thread for it so I'm out of this discussion.

Has this stopped being the United thread?

Nope,but you think we might be wiser in the future with maybe sending Woodward to see levy on business skills ;)

I'll not go by stats, if that's okay with you? I'll use my eyes. Iniesta is far better.

Anyway, this isn't the thread for it so I'm out of this discussion.

You severly under rate Ozil so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Small Fellaini interview. Usual fluff...
    After completing his transfer from Everton, new signing Marouane Fellaini spoke exclusively to MUTV. Here's what the Belgian had to say...

How do you feel now you’re a Manchester United player?
    I’m very, very happy. It’s a big moment for me. I waited for a long time, I’ve worked hard for this and I’m very happy to join this big club, this great club. I hope to do everything for this club.

When you knew Manchester United wanted you, did you always want to come here? Of course. It’s the biggest club in the world so of course I wanted to join this club. I tried everything to join the club.

What’s today been like? It went right for the deadline…
    It’s been difficult, a very long day. I waited to the end… I know the situation, but this day has been very long.

You’ve played and scored at Old Trafford, but what will it mean to run out with a red shirt on? It’s a big stadium, a big club. I hope I can score a lot of goals for Manchester United.

What do you hope you can achieve as a Manchester United player?When I was young it was a dream to play for Manchester United. Now I’m here so I’ll try to give my best to the club. I want to win trophies. That’s the most important thing.

my point is that i dont feel Fellaini deals with the problem area. Which , for me, is a severe lack of creativity and goals coming from midfield. An area United were blessed in for many a year.

I don't see many goals or match-changers amongst Giggs, Carrick, Cleverley, Jones, Valencia.

Nani is inconsistent. Kagawa out of favour.

In my opinion, an Ozil type of player was what Utd needed not someone like Fellaini. I can honestly see Rio hitting 60 metre diagonals to fellaini all day long now he's signed.

As for Arsenal, take away the Villa game when they had 10 men and they've had a pretty beast like run in the past 20-25 games in defence and attack. Would def agree they are short on number squad wise though.

Look, for me, Fellaini isn't the answer here and Utd will still be far too reliant on RvP and Rooney this season.

Arsenal are miles away from United. They've only added Ozil to a threadbare squad this summer. United were champions and have added a midfielder and potentially a left back\winger.

I disagree that we need an Ozil type. We have one in Kagawa. We needed someone who could sit in with Carrick and or replace him if he's injured. I fundamentally disagree with your assessment of Fellaini anyway, so no way we'll get to a midpoint on that.

Madrid lost their second best player and payed £85.6million for Bale. In what Universe is that good business?

I'm on about financial business,as in turning 85mill in to 42mill or so for bale.
    The sold ozil and bought in a better player and made back over half of the bale money from,that's great business.

I'm on about financial business,as in turning 85mill in to 42mill or so for bale.
    The sold ozil and bought in a better player and made back over half of the bale money from,that's great business.

In what universe is Bale a better player then Ozil?

Why are you only including those two figures, why are you not factoring in the other transfer fees spent and received?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Arsenal are miles away from United. They've only added Ozil to a threadbare squad this summer. United were champions and have added a midfielder and potentially a left back\winger.

I disagree that we need an Ozil type. We have one in Kagawa. We needed someone who could sit in with Carrick and or replace him if he's injured. I fundamentally disagree with your assessment of Fellaini anyway, so no way we'll get to a midpoint on that.

I suppose time will tell. If he has a great season in a dominant Utd side , then he was clearly the missing link.

If, as i think, Utd struggle for creativity and goals this season then you'd have to reflect he wasn't the solution.

See you around late April, early May! :)

They're a bloody football club. Making money should take second seat to signing and losing your best players.

Bale is better than Ozil?

I'm off to bed. My brain is rattled enough tonight as it is. G'luck.

In what universe is Bale a better player then Ozil?

Why are you only including those two figures, why are you not factoring in the other transfer fees spent and received?

Bale is far better come on,I'm giving those as a example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Everton website...
    Marouane Fellaini has moved to Manchester United for a £27.5m fee

Man United website...
    Manchester United is delighted to announce the signing of Belgian midfielder Marouane Fellaini from Everton for an undisclosed fee.

Really United? You think no-one knows?

You severly under rate Ozil so.

Okay, I'll name some other attacking midfielders (loose term in fairness) whom I rate as highly as, if not higher than, Ozil.

Juan Mata, Mario Goetze, David Silva, Thomas Muller and Cesc Fabregas to name a few. Iniesta is better than the lot.

Edit: Actually, I said I was out, so I really am now.

They're a bloody football club. Making money should take second seat to signing and losing your best players.

Bale is better than Ozil?

I'm off to bed. My brain is rattled tonight as it is. G'luck.

So Madrid were wrong to sell ozil and buy bale?.
    Oh lord

• Advertisement

How are you coming to this conclusion would you mind telling me, genuinely curious as to how someone could form this opinion

You cant just give those as an example though! Why not use the fee they got for Pedro Leon

They bought Bale for 85 mil but sold Pedro Leon for 5 so Bale really only cost 80!

How are you coming to this conclusion would you mind telling me, genuinely curious as to how someone could form this opinion

Madrid are of the same opinion by the looks of it sir.

Are u seriously saying Bale is better than Ozil? Based on what, 1 good season with a Europa league side? Ozil is a proven world class talent whereas Bale is all potential.

Are u seriously saying Bale is better than Ozil? Based on what, 1 good season with a Europa league side? Ozil is a proven world class talent whereas Bale is all potential.

You have your own opinion(s) as does everybody else and Madrid.

I actually really rate Bale. Gutted we were never in with a sniff. Reckon he'll go on to huge things there. Wouldn't be into making a huge statement like saying he's better than Ozil right now, but I suspect he will be.

• Advertisement

So Madrid were wrong to sell ozil and buy bale?.
    Oh lord

I guess only time will actually tell, but yes, yes they were. They would have done better to keep Ozil, maybe spend the 85million on getting in defenders and a striker!

Only watching the Premier League and being subject to Sky Sports' propaganda.

I'm really off to bed now. You can argue with him why Bale is not a sniff of the player Ozil is. I wish you good luck.

I actually really rate Bale. Gutted we were never in with a sniff. Reckon he'll go on to huge things there. Wouldn't be into making a huge statement like saying he's better than Ozil right now, but I suspect he will be.

Respect :)

I guess only time will actually tell, but yes, yes they were. They would have done better to keep Ozil, maybe spend the 85million on getting in defenders and a striker!

You know how Madrid work,galatico signings.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I asked earlier what it was and nobody is able to provide the actual figure. Because it's not out there. No doubt some have what they deem to be reliable sources but it'll all just be speculation at this point.

Exactly. But yet posters are still happy to pick one of the figures that is being reported and then draw conclusions off that as if it is a certainty that it is the correct figure. The number of posters acting like this is very weird.

Madrid are of the same opinion by the looks of it sir.

Is that supposed to somehow validate your point?

Ok how about this, Wenger was willing to spend 50million euro on Ozil. Wenger. 50 million. Big wages.

Madrid are a circus. You know this. Everybody knows this.

Only watching the Premier League and being subject to Sky Sports' propaganda.

I'm really off to bed now. You can argue with him why Bale is not a sniff of the player Ozil is. I wish you good luck.

Na Im bowing out too, not a hope in hell Im gonna touch that one. Id be angry at myself for even validating the argument

Pro. F wrote: »
    Exactly. But yet posters are still happy to pick one of the figures that is being reported and then draw conclusions off that as if it is a certainty that it is the correct figure. The number of posters acting like this is very weird.

Id assume its because it is the figure most often reported

Is that supposed to somehow validate your point?

Ok how about this, Wenger was willing to spend 50million euro on Ozil. Wenger. 50 million. Big wages.

Madrid are a circus. You know this. Everybody knows this.

Yes,but the difference between Madrid and any other club is the can get all the big name signings.
    There's no one safe when Madrid come knocking the door.

Yes,but the difference between Madrid and any other club is the can get all the big name signings.
    There's no one safe when Madrid come knocking the door.

Ah, your a kool aid drinker. I get it now

Night :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement