Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom downloading to two pc's?

• 14-08-2013 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

is there any way to get email from eircom to download to two computers.
    i want to be able to access mail on both. vista one has win mail and 7 one has thunderbird

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Eircom webmail or configure your email client to use IMAP. Another option - if your client supports it - is to have it "Leave a copy of the email on the server"

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭alyssum

ZENER wrote: »
    Eircom webmail or configure your email client to use IMAP. Another option - if your client supports it - is to have it "Leave a copy of the email on the server"

Ken
    thanks but the way eircom works if one client downloads it it will not download again. you have to log in to eircom webmail. will look at imap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Eircom don't support IMAP it seems but Thunderbird can be told to leave mail on the server. Check here for instructions.

Win Mail can also be configured this way, check here.

Ken

ZENER wrote: »
    Eircom don't support IMAP it seems but Thunderbird can be told to leave mail on the server. Check here for instructions.

Win Mail can also be configured this way, check here.

Ken
    it will not download to both
    edit actually it does it seems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yep, as above, those settings will match the inboxes. But sent mail wont sync.

The new email system has IMAP support, accounts are being migrated in chunks of a few thousand at a time. Give it time and you'll be able to set up again for IMAP and then away you go.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »

The new email system has IMAP support, accounts are being migrated in chunks of a few thousand at a time. Give it time and you'll be able to set up again for IMAP and then away you go.
    what do you mean

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

alyssum wrote: »
    what do you mean

I think what he means is is that any emails sent via Outlook won't get saved to the Sent folder and copied/synced to the IMAP server.

If you experience this, try doing the following:

In Outlook 2010, go to File > Info > Account Settings, highlight the e-mail account and then click on the "Change" option.  In the "Change Account" window, click on the "More Settings" button and then in the Internet E-Mail Settings window, click on the "Sent Items" tab.  Select the "Save sent items in the Sent Items folder on this computer" option and save the setting.

To assign a folder as the Sent Items folder in Outlook 2010 and to get it to sync with the IMAP server:

Open your IMAP account settings via:
    File-> Account Settings-> Account Settings…-> double click on the IMAP account.
    Press the button: More Settings…
    Select the Sent Items tab.
    Enable the option “Save sent items in the following folder on the server”.
    Select the folder where you want to store the Sent Items in.
    You can press More Folders… if you do not see all your IMAP folders in the list.
    You can press New Folder… if a Sent Items folder does not yet exist on the server.

Let us know if that works for you.

Mr. G wrote: »
    I think what he means is is that any emails sent via Outlook won't get saved to the Sent folder and copied/synced to the IMAP server.

If you experience this, try doing the following:

In Outlook 2010, go to File > Info > Account Settings, highlight the e-mail account and then click on the "Change" option. In the "Change Account" window, click on the "More Settings" button and then in the Internet E-Mail Settings window, click on the "Sent Items" tab. Select the "Save sent items in the Sent Items folder on this computer" option and save the setting.

To assign a folder as the Sent Items folder in Outlook 2010 and to get it to sync with the IMAP server:

Open your IMAP account settings via:
    File-> Account Settings-> Account Settings…-> double click on the IMAP account.
    Press the button: More Settings…
    Select the Sent Items tab.
    Enable the option “Save sent items in the following folder on the server”.
    Select the folder where you want to store the Sent Items in.
    You can press More Folders… if you do not see all your IMAP folders in the list.
    You can press New Folder… if a Sent Items folder does not yet exist on the server.

Let us know if that works for you
    ok thanks but i don't have outlook. win mail and thunderbird

ok thanks but i don't have outlook. win mail and thunderbird

Just realised that. It should be pretty much straight forward. Are sent emails getting saved in the Sent Folder for you and saved on the other client?

Mr. G wrote: »
    Just realised that. It should be pretty much straight forward. Are sent emails getting saved in the Sent Folder for you and saved on the other client?
    they are saved in sent folder on each pc, that what you mean? IMAP is not supported yet for eircom though

• Advertisement

they are saved in sent folder on each pc, that what you mean? IMAP is not supported yet for eircom though

Yes, you're sorted so. I got confused as ED posted the below. From what I gather he said that sent emails won't get synced to the mail server (but you just said they are..)

Yeah, to clarify.

With the current setup:
    I send you a mail, bing, bing, comes into both inboxes.
    You then reply from windows live mail. Fine, sends. Check your sent mail, its there. But, if you go to your sent mail on the thunderbird machine, nope, nothing, looks like you never replied to me.

Yeah, to clarify.

With the current setup:
    I send you a mail, bing, bing, comes into both inboxes.
    You then reply from windows live mail. Fine, sends. Check your sent mail, its there. But, if you go to your sent mail on the thunderbird machine, nope, nothing, looks like you never replied to me.
    oh i see what you mean is, to properly sync, it should download to the thunderbird machine?

I want to take one machine off line for a reinstall and have mail go to both so i have mail on both when the machine goes back online.
    How would that be arranged? With IMAP?

Yeah, thats the big reason for people to move to IMAP.

Yeah, thats the big reason for people to move to IMAP.
    Eircom do not support IMAP

Eircom do not support IMAP

As above, they do, just only for a few thousand customers right now.

You actually got an email about this a few months ago asking if you were interested in the new system. Those who replied to that email now have IMAP support. The rest will soon.

As above, they do, just only for a few thousand customers right now.

You actually got an email about this a few months ago asking if you were interested in the new system. Those who replied to that email now have IMAP support. The rest will soon.
    eircom told me they don't when i called them. I do not remember the email. Was there a charge for IMAP

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mayd

Regarding eircom email account:
    I have returned from holidays and cannot open my emails - I attempted to change password but my email is not recognised - what can I do - I use Outlook
    Tech support is not available today

mayd wrote: »
    Regarding eircom email account:
    I have returned from holidays and cannot open my emails - I attempted to change password but my email is not recognised - what can I do - I use Outlook
    Tech support is not available today

Tech support is 7 days till 10pm buddy.

Advertisement