Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walipini Underground green House.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

If all you've got is a role of clear plastic as building material then that's not a bad way to make a shelter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

I could see adequate long term drainage being a big, big problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

I could see adequate long term drainage being a big, big problem.

Spot on.The water table in half the country is too high for this. Maybe rice would grow in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

I would rather be positve and say the water table in half the country would be low enough for this.
    Possibly use the side of a hill/slope where there is a gradient to allow natural drainage.
    And if needed a drainage pit which could store water used for watering the plants ,then when got too high used some sort of hand pump to bail water out.
    Other problems i reckon would probably be fungi/molds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

Built on a slope you can easily add some drainage on the lower side. I suggested it would make a good shelter because in Ireland the limiting factor would be sunlight, traditionally similar structures were used by the Victorians in their gardens in the UK as fern houses because ferns grow prefer lower light conditions and higher humidity.

I doubt we have the light same levels of light as they do in Utah (pdf).

You could of course borrow another old method used traditionally in some propagation houses (greenhouses) where there are no walls and just a greenhouse roof, the plants are grown in beds just below ground level and access is via a sunken pathway. The benefits of the Walipini while moving the plants up nearer the light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭iainBB

with some french drains and solar power water pump it should be OK I hope

Advertisement