Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decisions decisions ..... repeat?

• 14-08-2013 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    So as some of you may know, I want Medicine.
    Now, I got 175 in my HPAT and the low 500's in the leaving. I know I can do much better and have been doing so in my LC. I was so fully prepared to repeat and it didn't bother me too much. However, now I feel really sick about it and feel upset seeing all my friends heading out delighted!
    Will I eventually rid myself of these feelings?
    Is repeating the right choice? I am also eligible for HEAR so that will be there next year too! Realisticly will I be able to come up to 600 points? That's up 90! I feel I can but am i delusional?
    Thanks in advance!
    Outnumbered :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Now, I got 175 in my HPAT and the low 500's in the leaving. I know I can do much better and have been doing so in my LC.
    Read that bit of your post out loud to yourself, slowly, and let it sink in.

Now ... what was the question again? :)
    However, now I feel really sick about it and feel upset seeing all my friends heading out delighted!
    Ofc you do. You're more than allowed. It's a tough old night when everyone around you is going ZOMFG I DID IT!!!!

If you don't feel able to go out, find a good film or a book or call over to friends who aren't doing LC or something. ;)
    Is repeating the right choice? I am also eligible for HEAR so that will be there next year too! Realisticly will I be able to come up to 600 points? That's up 90! I feel I can but am i delusional?
    You're the best judge of that, really, but you say you have generally been scoring better through the year.

And you could go up in the HPAT too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

Read that bit of your post out loud to yourself, slowly, and let it sink in.

Now ... what was the question again? :)

Ofc you do. You're more than allowed. It's a tough old night when everyone around you is going ZOMFG I DID IT!!!!

If you don't feel able to go out, find a good film or a book or call over to friends who aren't doing LC or something. ;)

You're the best judge of that, really, but you say you have generally been scoring better through the year.

And you could go up in the HPAT too.
    Thank you!! that makes me feel so much better! :D thanks. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭fontdor

heyy man tbh I'm gonna repeat as well but as an external candidate so you are not alone.

fontdor wrote: »
    heyy man tbh I'm gonna repeat as well but as an external candidate so you are not alone.

Are you? :D It does seem to be the best option! :) Best of luck! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭fontdor

Are you? :D It does seem to be the best option! :) Best of luck! :D

It is the best option for me so far as I am not wasting a year in a PLC course I wanna get straight into college or university. I done all OL Subjects this year but for repeat am doing all HL. Best of luck to you too sir/ma'am.

• Advertisement

It is the best option for me so far as I am not wasting a year in a PLC course I wanna get straight into college or university. I done all OL Subjects this year but for repeat am doing all HL. Best of luck to you too sir/ma'am.

Good on you! :D Sir. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭3raser10

you want medicine...just think for a second doing something else for your whole life instead of medicine because you'll have to spend 9 more months...I think you'll get your answer whether you should repeat or not! :)

3raser10 wrote: »
    you want medicine...just think for a second doing something else for your whole life instead of medicine because you'll have to spend 9 more months...I think you'll get your answer whether you should repeat or not! :)

Thank you! I know. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,319 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Its not a waste of a year if it gets you where you want to be. You might want to get straight to college or university, but either way, you won't be starting till Sept/Oct 2014.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mariecxx

Thinking about repeating sucks! I was heart broken getting my results.. In my mocks i scored 525 and in the real thing i got 470...Have absolutely no idea where i went wrong. My parents are upset and my principal is shocked. I wouldnt mind repeating but im already 19 ( did ty ) and therefore ill be 20 leaving school... For some reason this really bothers me. My parents have offered me the choice of going to a local private school. To top it all off im in bed with the flu! Sorry to vent.. I just have no idea where to go from here or what to do :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Hey all,
    Now, I got 175 in my HPAT and the low 500's in the leaving. I know I can do much better and have been doing so in my LC. I was so fully prepared to repeat and it didn't bother me too much. However, now I feel really sick about it and feel upset seeing all my friends heading out delighted!
    Thanks in advance!

Only you can decide no one else. You are the one who has to repeat.

As feeling down it is natural. I be worried if it was not especially as you did better than you did. I repeated my leaving cert and got better results I was not going for Medicine mind you but I got into a degree course I did not think I would have got. If you think you can do it and are in the right fraame of mind to do it then I would say go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭football girl

I just repeated this year.I know it depends on the person and your age etc. but if I can give you any bit advice, it would be to repeat! I got 570 last year and came up to 610 this year so I feel that it was well worth it. I don't know if I'll get med or not yet but those extra lc points were very helpful. If I dont get med, i'll happily take dentistry, ( unless the points jump up a lot ) at this stage. If you want any more info, let me know as I'd be more than happy to give you more info.

:)

Only you can decide no one else. You are the one who has to repeat.

As feeling down it is natural. I be worried if it was not especially as you did better than you did. I repeated my leaving cert and got better results I was not going for Medicine mind you but I got into a degree course I did not think I would have got. If you think you can do it and are in the right fraame of mind to do it then I would say go for it.
    Yup, I am going to go for it!! :D thanks,.
    I just repeated this year.I know it depends on the person and your age etc. but if I can give you any bit advice, it would be to repeat! I got 570 last year and came up to 610 this year so I feel that it was well worth it. I don't know if I'll get med or not yet but those extra lc points were very helpful. If I dont get med, i'll happily take dentistry, ( unless the points jump up a lot ) at this stage. If you want any more info, let me know as I'd be more than happy to give you more info.

:)
    Thank you! well done! that's amazing!! :D:D I am definitely going to repeat now! :) All the best with your future! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭SHANAbert

There's no shame in repeating. Loads of people that go to college this year will drop out and start again anyway. I got 450 points in my first leaving. Repeated and got 555. Was the best decision I ever made. An extra year in school helped me mature a bit and gain more self confidence. Had a better leaving under my belt. Took on 3 new subjects so broadened my knowledge immensely. Dropped subjects I didn't enjoy.

A great thing about repeating in a private school is that you are surrounded by people who are all there to do better. Easy to make friends and nobody is being dragged down by people who have no interest in bettering themselves.

Another great thing was that when I went on a J1 during college I was 21. So much less hassle!

If you want to repeat go for it. There will be times when you are sick of studying and you'll question your decision but when you are holding your 600 points next year it will all have been worth it.

SHANAbert wrote: »
    There's no shame in repeating. Loads of people that go to college this year will drop out and start again anyway. I got 450 points in my first leaving. Repeated and got 555. Was the best decision I ever made. An extra year in school helped me mature a bit and gain more self confidence. Had a better leaving under my belt. Took on 3 new subjects so broadened my knowledge immensely. Dropped subjects I didn't enjoy.

A great thing about repeating in a private school is that you are surrounded by people who are all there to do better. Easy to make friends and nobody is being dragged down by people who have no interest in bettering themselves.

Another great thing was that when I went on a J1 during college I was 21. So much less hassle!

If you want to repeat go for it. There will be times when you are sick of studying and you'll question your decision but when you are holding your 600 points next year it will all have been worth it.

Thanks for that! :) and well done! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

Hey all,

Thanks in advance!

Sounds all too familiar :P Seriously though, I know exactly what you mean and yes, it does pass over. Actually, once you've decided what you're going to do moving forward, how you feel now will motivate you ;) Use it.

I would go into detail but honestly, like Randy said, you seem to know yourself what you should do. If you think you didn't do yourself justice (only you can answer that) then you'll regret not giving it one more go. I know it's easily said by someone like me who's on the other side of things but seriously, in the grand scheme of things, what's a year?!

I repeated myself (for much the same reason: I thought I had more to offer with regards to the LC) so if you're wondering about anything specific like subject choice or anything like that then by all means give me a shout :)

All the best ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭waiting4

Some advice for repeaters: GO VIEW YOUR SCRIPTS! you'll see EXACTLY what examiners want and where you, personally, went wrong. This service is way more invaluable to you then any mock so please avail of it

Advertisement