Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6th years - career choices

• 14-08-2013 9:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭

So, all you future 6th years. What are you all planning to put on your CAOs in the coming months? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭3raser10

not sure yet but accounting will definitely be one of my choices...wbu? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Sucette!

Pharmacy I think :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭A7XGirl

Hopefully Screen and Film Media in UCC. And if not, Arts in NUIG :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭Claire1456

For me, I think Financial Maths and Economics in NUIG or else Commerce and French in NUIG, DCU or UL. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭shootie

Best of luck young 'uns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Joe95

Screen and Film Media in UCC, Psychiatric Nursing in UCD or cabin crew in Dublin, not sure yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭RedSeven7

Would absolutely love to do Veterinary in UCD! :)
    But if I don't get enough points, maybe Animal Science in UCD and then graduate entry to veterinary :)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Mirror Image

Journalism in DCU has been what I've really wanted.
    But I was strongly considering Marketing in DKIT as that would lead to a (hopefully) more stable career. And then do volunteering in radio and stuff on the side to have another (more preferred) career choice :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49 BaylesOfHay

IT is what I want. In I.T blanch

Journalism in DCU has been what I've really wanted.
    But I was strongly considering Marketing in DKIT as that would lead to a (hopefully) more stable career. And then do volunteering in radio and stuff on the side to have another (more preferred) career choice :)

Interesting! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Ideally I'd like to be a pilot, but the chances of that happening are slim.

In terms of CAO choices, not sure yet. Leaning towards Theoretical Physics or Physics with Astronomy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 dazzy123

I'm thinking of doing BESS in trinity because its quite broad and I'm not sure what I want to do after college but I have no idea of any other courses i want to put down :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Mirror Image

Claire1456 wrote: »
    Interesting! :)

Is it a good idea, or am I just being awkward?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭whoopsadaisy

Reading the CAO thread is making me real excited for this time next year, can't wait to be done with school and living your own life, studying something you're actually interested in :)

I'm thinking of putting Pharmacy in RCSI first on the sheer fluke that I might get 555 points, I really would like to do it as a career but I am not expecting to get that many points so my hopes won't be too high :p BESS in Trinity is another I'm seriously considering, the broadness of the course looks fab.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭malascoile

When is the deadline for cao in 2014?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 pajc

actuarial and financial studies UCD

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_remon

CAO is a college choice, not a career choice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Ciaran511

I'm considering doing something with Business and/or computers and yeah I've heard that this is possibly the worst time to study business but still

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭manyoung

Reading the CAO thread is making me real excited for this time next year, can't wait to be done with school and living your own life, studying something you're actually interested in :)

That's the only thing that's going to keep me going during this year, knowing that the chains will FINALLY be released form my aching hands.

Course-wise I was thinking about music in DKIT or UCD.

Remember (this might be cheesy but it's true) to look into your heart and follow your passion and you won't go wrong.

Is it a good idea, or am I just being awkward?

I think it's a great idea, many career prospects and keeping all doors open! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

*sniffs money*
    *heads in that direction*

Ive no real idea at the moment. Focus on getting the points at the moment so when I do pick the points race wont leave me red faced.
    Maybe business,physics, science,pure law or pure maths EDIT: may as well throw in Computer Science as well. I am open minded.

As for careers I have no idea. I wanna travel after college. Set up in a country for 5 years and then move on. :D

I am probably one of the people who have left after college even if our economy wasn't tanked.

During the boom I wanted to be an engineer. The big SUV's, the big houses :D:D. Not anymore.

Really I just want to do something with good money, I like and will let me live an active and happy life.... also itll have to pay for my future Corevette :)

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Midlife Crashes

Ciaran511 wrote: »
    I'm considering doing something with Business and/or computers and yeah I've heard that this is possibly the worst time to study business but still

MSISS in Trinity sounds like a good course for you

Ciaran511 wrote: »

Well. The demand for business courses in nuig and ul have raised along with the points, also commerce with a language has risen. Therefore, a higher demand this year for business courses!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 RebelLAD1

torn between Radiography and Accountancy :( a big contrast in the pair , i know :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭damoPL

CompSci, Nanotech or Electrical Eng., not sure whereabouts though....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭yoho139

Computer Science in Trinity for me. Points seem to have stabilised after last year's ridiculous jump, so that's a plus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

yoho139 wrote: »
    Computer Science in Trinity for me. Points seem to have stabilised after last year's ridiculous jump, so that's a plus.
    At least some of that would have been the bonus points for Hons Maths, so a once-off on that front at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭RedSeven7

malascoile wrote: »
    When is the deadline for cao in 2014?

First of February, and first of July is the change of mind deadline!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Medicine is going to be my goal . I'm working my ass off and it's paying off. Ucc would be great also.

Number 2 would be pharmacy or something science orientated at least.

I'm studying the ukcat as well to keep my options open.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Exo

Computer Science/& Business (TR033/TR082). I'd much prefer Computer Sci. & Business from the career aspect - all of the main Computer Science elements are studied within the course, same with the Business section. I'm tempted to go all-out and just put these two, maybe CS/CSSE in UCD/NUIM and call it a day on the CAO - confident that it won't go the opposite direction this time 'round.

Advertisement