Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike and tyres covered in road tar?

• 14-08-2013 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hey folks, need a bit of advice. I was heading into Limerick today and about 3 miles outside the city, the council are resurfacing the road. They had just sprayed the chippings with tar and I was in a convoy in the rain following a council wagon as it led us through the roadworks. The long and short of it is that the bike got splattered with tar and the tyres are coated in it. Took photos when I got into Limerick because it looked such a mess.

What I'm worried about are the tyes, is this going to affect them in any way? Did another 25 miles or so on it afterwards and didn't notice anything adverse but on a 125 I'm not going much over 50 mph and it was raining so I took it handy just in case. The bike looks crap as well, it's a workhorse sure but this isn't doing it any favours.

Has anyone else any experience of this? Only had the tyres replaced in May, Dunlops, cost me €210!

The road is the R512 Kilmallock Road after Ballyneety if anyone is around there, chippings and tar all over the shop so take it slowly. :)

Sorry don't know how to embed these photos in the message so please bear with me and all advice gratefully received.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭sean61

That's nasty. I can't believe they let you drive on
    fresh tar with no chippings. If I got tar all over the R1 like that I would NOT be happy!! Surely someone made a mistake here?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

A spray of GUNK and a cloth will remove it or a rag with a dab of petrol on it will remove it from the frame and casings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I certainly would not have followed I tells ya that.....

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭fleabag

Yerra I was in the convoy and thought it'd be chippings - till I smelt tar. It was pissing out of the heavens too, the tar was running all over the place.

Anyhoo tried the petrol on rag today, coming off VERY slowly. My OH told me to phone the council and they were very good - they're sending a fella out tomorrow with some stuff they use to clean bitumen off to clean the tyres for me. Hopefully a happy ending ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Be careful if it will remove tar it could also possibly do damage to the tyres.
    I'd tread warily, tar will wear off tyres, use it for the frame and engine cases but not the tyres IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

There is a product called "Tardis" made by Autosmart, it will shift it no problem

Try your local motor factors for it or something similar

You just spray it on, let it soak in for a few mins and wipe off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

I did something similar in Belgium.... Tyres survived no problem. I used simple degreaser in the frame and couldn't believe how effective it sad. Granted it took an hour or two but came up looking like new. Suppose it depends on the tar too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

did they miss you with the bucket of feathers? :o

Well the council fellas came out this morning - 3 of them and took an hour cleaning the bike. Looks very spick and span. They missed a few spots but fair play to them, even used a scraper to get tar from the tyre treads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

fleabag wrote: »
    Well the council fellas came out this morning - 3 of them and took an hour cleaning the bike. Looks very spick and span. They missed a few spots but fair play to them, even used a scraper to get tar from the tyre treads.

So how many where there standing around scratching their ar5es and looking on then???:pac::pac:

All joking aside,fair play to them for comming out and cleaning down the bike for you.:)

• Advertisement

They wouldn't take cups of tea either!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

fleabag wrote: »
    They wouldn't take cups of tea either!!!!!!!

They were not the REAL COUNCIL workers then....they were hired from abroad. :P

Advertisement