Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Level 7 Options

Options
  • 14-08-2013 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Just an post for a bit of advice pertaining to my future, specifically my career and course options.

I am a 21 year old undergraduate attending the college for the last 3 years. I will hopefully be graduating the Software Design (Game Development) course in this coming October. It's a bit different than usual in that I've chosen to leave after 3 years with a level 7 degree; opposed to the full 4 year level 8. Apparently I am one of the first to ever do so in this course. I wanted to get this advice before it's too late as I feel I've left it long enough as it is.

I joined the college straight from school. My CAO was filled mostly with Animal Science, Veterinary courses, along with a few computer science. Animal science would have been my stepping stone into veterinary (which is what I've always wanted to do). Needless-to-say, I don't think that quite worked out. Unfortunately, I put the A.I.T. course before those and ended up regretting it ever since. I do have an interest in computers, it's just it's not what I want for a career. I spent each year hating the course, wanting to leave and deciding in each one to just "stick with it" and "it will get better". I did and it didn't.

Now you probably encounter these type of people on the boards all the time but I wouldn't mind so much if it wasn't for the grant, and that's the real crux of the matter. Our family is not so well off. And the reason I'm here right now is because of the financial assistance. I feel I've wasted three of the four years of grant so far on something that I really don't feel happy about pursuing as a career.

Over the last few years of education I mulled over the prospect of going into Animal Science/, preferably UCD, as a mature student after I finished this degree. Only owing to the fact that I would again get some sort of financial assistance. I assumed that was the case but in 2012 it was apparently changed with the budget. I've heard about Back To Education, Mature Student, along with a whole host of other schemes and I'm just confused about what to do at this stage.

Just need some advice on which direction to go to get into Animal Science/Vet Nursing, with some viable financial assistance to help me out (fees and maintenance). In other words, where do I go from here? I know it's kinda a lot to ask but even little bits of info will help :) PLus it may help someone else in the future.

Advertisement