Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converted Campers Since June 2013

Options
  • 14-08-2013 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Confused here but if someone could help me

Someone told me that a converted camper after June can only be cleared as a camper if it's coach built??:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Well since the whole furore over registering as a camper came about as a result of harmonising with eu Directive 2007/46/EC* I highly doubt it

*a special purpose vehicle with EU category M1, M2, or M3 with bodywork SA (as defined in the Annex to Directive 2007/46/EC) that contains at least seats and table, sleeping accommodation which may be converted from the seats, cooking facilities, and storage facilities where the equipment shall be rigidly fixed to the living compartment; (with the exception of the table may be designed to be easily removable) will be designated as a motor caravan

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭reelkidmusic

This is not true but I think this person may have been confusing this with the need for an engineers report (SQI) to clear as a camper. Most DOE centres can do this or SIMI garages.

I am only after clearing my van as a camper in the past week. The process was as follows:

1. Obtain SQI report to declare that the conversion meets the requirements to be a camper. There is also a vehicle owners declaration of conversion that the SQI stamps as well. They should have these forms when you bring it in. I think they are also on the revenue website.

2. Take four pictures of the outside of the van (each side). Take pictures of the interior from as many angles as possible.

3. Make a copy of the log book.

4. Gas needs to be certified by an RGI Installer (I brought mine to a camper dealer - Anchor Point Motorhomes in Birdhill, very friendly and helpful). Revenue are not majorly concerned with this but you will need it for the insurance.

Post all of these off to the Central Vehicle Office, Rosslare, Co. Wexford. If you are unsure of anything you can ring them as well as they are really helpful.

Once they have received your documents, they will assess the value and return the VRT amount due to your local revenue office who will then contact you regarding the amount owed. Once you pay the VRT, you will get a receipt that you bring with you to the Motor Tax office along with the change of particulars form (RF111) and the original log book. If the van has been off the road you will have to sort out the tax or pay arrears. You can tax it at this point and the log book will be returned to you with it classed as a motor caravan.

I hope this helps!

Advertisement