Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do Rangers fans hate Scotland for?? Identity crisis??

• 14-08-2013 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭

Rangers fans seem quite divided on this one, a lot of them appear to hate the Scottish national team passionately, and many appear to be cheering on England instead.

A lot of the posters on the Rangers Media forum were backing England,

WeeBluenose94
    Aye? Couldn't give a ****. Hope Scotland get leathered.

Ryangers193
    The Pride Of Britain 5-1 The Tartan Trannies

Super Ally 1690
    Looking forward to the Mra England end England win the tartan army are a disgrace would never sit with them

StrongbowLoyal
    **** the SFA

Gillete
    The tartan army are full of highlanders and follow teams that ****ing despise our club

Ill never forget what the SFA done to us for as long as I live
    **** the SFA and **** Scotland

Come on England

Gers1690
    YEEEEEEEEEEEES!
    LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMBERT!"

Keithgersbear
    Go on England.

Laudrup91
    Hope Scotland get hammered

TheWee BlueDevil
    Come on England!!

Simplythebest
    FOS is not my national anthem

http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=257109&st=0

What disappoints me though is that from my understanding give Celtic fans a lot of stick for being plastic paddies for supporting Ireland from this lot yet are also quite happy to support England over Scotland!

The only real popular international team that unites everyone is Northern Ireland.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Because they dislike the SFA I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Rangers fans seem quite divided on this one, a lot of them appear to hate the Scottish national team passionately, and many appear to be cheering on England instead.

A lot of the posters on the Rangers Media forum were backing England,

WeeBluenose94
    Aye? Couldn't give a ****. Hope Scotland get leathered.

Ryangers193
    The Pride Of Britain 5-1 The Tartan Trannies

Super Ally 1690
    Looking forward to the Mra England end England win the tartan army are a disgrace would never sit with them

StrongbowLoyal
    **** the SFA

Gillete
    The tartan army are full of highlanders and follow teams that ****ing despise our club

Ill never forget what the SFA done to us for as long as I live
    **** the SFA and **** Scotland

Come on England

Gers1690
    YEEEEEEEEEEEES!

Keithgersbear
    Go on England.

Laudrup91
    Hope Scotland get hammered

TheWee BlueDevil
    Come on England!!

Simplythebest
    FOS is not my national anthem

http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=257109&st=0

What disappoints me though is that from my understanding give Celtic fans a lot of stick for being plastic paddies for supporting Ireland from this lot yet are also quite happy to support England over Scotland!

The only real popular international team that unites everyone is Northern Ireland.

What ???????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The problem with Scotland is there too many Scots in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

1. I don't hate Scotland, although i'm generally apathetic towards international football, I always want them to win.
    2. There is a bit of a history with Scotland, and both sets of "Old Firm" fans, in that there is a special sort of hatred reserved by Aberdeen/Dundee Utd fans and the like for Glasgow based players. This, in recent years, has become a lot more pronounced and it puts a lot of fans off going to games etc.
    3. I'm not sure if you've noticed - but a lot of Rangers fans aren't exactly huge fans of anything involved with the SFA right now...

5. Why do people feel the need to cherry pick quotes from the likes of RM and hold it up as an example of what "Rangers Supporters" are like?
    6. Why do people feel the need to use Rangers as a backwards way of getting Celtic supporters a mention?
    7. Why am i answering this thread?

• Advertisement

I don't like 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

What ???????

I meant on that forum. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Super Ally 1690

StrongbowLoyal
    **** the SFA

Gers1690
    YEEEEEEEEEEEES!
    Judging by the usernames, those people are from Northern Ireland, not Scotland.

Judging by the usernames, those people are from Northern Ireland, not Scotland.

You'd be suprised actually. Orangeism is popular in parts of Scotland.

But yeah I suspect not all of them are Scottish.

However a lot of the ones who are Scottish don't hold Scotland in high regards!
    Eirebear wrote:
    1. I don't hate Scotland, although i'm generally apathetic towards international football, I always want them to win.

I understand there's a lot of Rangers who do support Scotland hence why I said they were divided.

I understand there's a lot of Rangers who do support Scotland hence why I said they were divided.

The SFA/SPL/Swhateverthey'recallednow is your main problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,579 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Is there an option to hide threads aswell as posters? Personally I think Celtic fans get far too much of a free reign in their constant Rangers abuse.

I'm far from a Celtic fan, just a casual observer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Eirebear wrote: »
    The SFA/SPL/Swhateverthey'recallednow is your main problem.

1 What's the problem some Rangers fans have with the SFA outwith being a football governing organisation?

2 Why would that stop some Rangers fans supporting the Scottish national team?

Lennonist wrote: »
    1 What's the problem some Rangers fans have with the SFA outwith being a football governing organisation?

2 Why would that stop some Rangers fans supporting the Scottish national team?

1. Really dude?

You haven't noticed the slight shift in attitudes to Scotland's governing bodies in the Rangers support?

2. Get to the bottom of point 1, you might get to the bottom of point 2 also.

I am in no way suggesting that this is either right, or wrong. Simply answering the OP's question.

CSF wrote: »
    Is there an option to hide threads aswell as posters? Personally I think Celtic fans get far too much of a free reign in their constant Rangers abuse.

What has this thread got to do with Celtic? The op has said he is not even a Celtic fan?

1. Really dude?

You haven't noticed the slight shift in attitudes to Scotland's governing bodies in the Rangers support?

What did Rangers fans want the SFA to do, ignore the wrongdoings of the previous Rangers board?
    2. Get to the bottom of point 1, you might get to the bottom of point 2 also.

I am in no way suggesting that this is either right, or wrong. Simply answering the OP's question.

I don't see why some Rangers fans would no longer support the Scottish national team because of grievances they have with the SFA. That makes no sense.

What has this thread got to do with Celtic? The op has said he is not even a Celtic fan?

To be fair, he also mentioned Celtic in his post.

I don't see why some Rangers fans would no longer support the Scottish national team because of grievances they have with the SFA. That makes no sense.

I know plenty of Celtic fans who don't support Scotland because of historical grievances with the governing bodies.
    I bet you do too.

I know plenty of Celtic fans who don't support Scotland because of historical grievances with the governing bodies.
    I bet you do too.

I honestly don't see where Rangers fans have a grievance with the Scottish football authorities do you?

Some Celtic fans historically supported Ireland for political reasons and in a generally passive way, that's a different matter and largely historical at this remove.

To be fair, he also mentioned Celtic in his post.

He did, but his thread still has nowt to do with Celtic.

• Advertisement

I honestly don't see where Rangers fans have a grievance with the Scottish football authorities do you?

Some Celtic fans historically supported Ireland for political reasons and in a generally passive way, that's a different matter and largely historical at this remove.

Stop playing dumb - you know the issues as well as i do, and i;ve already made it clear i'm not getting into that on this thread.

I never mentioned Ireland.
    I know plenty of Celtic fans who have no time for Scotland, because of grievances with the SFA.

Stop playing dumb - you know the issues as well as i do, and i;ve already made it clear i'm not getting into that on this thread.

You're not answering the question, I don't see what the problem is? Did some Rangers fans expect the Scottish football authorities to ignore the wrongdoings of the previous Rangers board? Is that the sum total of the source of their grievance? Do you agree with those Scottish Rangers fans who would no longer support the Scottish national team out of perceived grievance with the SFA?
    I never mentioned Ireland.

I didn't say you did.
    I know plenty of Celtic fans who have no time for Scotland, because of grievances with the SFA.

There has been some, though a lot of Celtic fans, myself included like to see the Scotland team do well.

You're not answering the question, I don't see what the problem is? Did some Rangers fans expect the Scottish football authorities to ignore the wrongdoings of the previous Rangers board? Is that the sum total of the source of their grievance? Do you agree with those Scottish Rangers fans who would no longer support the Scottish national team out of perceived grievance with the SFA?

I didn't say you did.

There has been some, though a lot of Celtic fans, myself included like to see the Scotland team do well.

Go fishing elsewhere man, can't be arsed tonight.

Go fishing elsewhere man, can't be arsed tonight.

Fishing for what? You engaged with the op, it's not a topic that I'm overly concerned about either. What's your national team btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

The kingdom of Scotland was formed as a result of Dal Riata (Eastern Ulster, before partition) incursions into Scotland as they escaped a losing war against the Northern Ui Neill.

They integrated with the aboriginal Picts in a weird form of military weakness but cultural superiority, and imposed their Goidelic language on the natives. Thus the kingdom of Alba was formed.

Sorry, wrong forum. Apologies, EireBear and Broxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

J*sus, on mature reflection, having read some of that thread, I don't want to get involved.

Rangers fans have some issues. Some real Lord Haw-Haw posts going on there, borderline Geordie stuff, do they not feel at home in their own country?

Fishing for what? You engaged with the op, it's not a topic that I'm overly concerned about either. What's your national team btw?

I'm generally apathetic towards international football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

There's a sizeable percentage of fans from every league who despise the national team.

In Ireland there's plenty of LOI who actively despise the National Team. Ditto in England. Can't see what people's major surprise is about this. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Rangers and Scots are natural born enemies. Like Englishmen and Scots! Or Welshmen and Scots! Or Japanese and Scots! Or Scots and other Scots! Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

There's no need to hide threads. Don't click into them if you don't want to read them. See, that wouldn't suit you though because you wouldn't be able to get your usual dig in.

Also, who are Celtic fans getting a "free reign" from? Certainly not on this forum if that's what you mean. Every thread involving Celtic is the exact same. Go back and read the Champions League match threads from last season, Full of LOI and "Celtic aren't Irish" ( as If I'm not aware that I travel to Scotland to see them play ) bellends mixed in with trolls dragged from the gutters of cyberspace.

Celtic fans "abusing" Rangers? When Celtic fans take the piss out of Rangers it's labelled "abuse" but when Man United fans do it to Liverpool ( just an example ) it gets labelled banter. Double standards all over the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

During the last decade or so (?) Rangers players have been booed by the Scotland support, so there is a definite feeling that a part of Scotland's support (mainly the Tartan Army apparently) is made up of Rangers hating people.

There was a time when the Rangers fans made up the bulk of the Scotland support (Hell, I even saw a video from 1967 with both sets of supporters singing God Save the Queen, imagine that), that seems to have shifted to mainly fans of smaller teams and a lot of Celtic fans now.

The recent disliking of the SFA has probably only increased this.

As for OP's quotes: I assume these are from Follow Follow ?
    Not exactly a representation of the average Rangers support though, plenty of them still follow Scotland ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

ColeTrain wrote: »
    There's no need to hide threads. Don't click into them if you don't want to read them. See, that wouldn't suit you though because you wouldn't be able to get your usual dig in.

Also, who are Celtic fans getting a "free reign" from? Certainly not on this forum if that's what you mean. Every thread involving Celtic is the exact same. Go back and read the Champions League match threads from last season, Full of LOI and "Celtic aren't Irish" ( as If I'm not aware that I travel to Scotland to see them play ) bellends mixed in with trolls dragged from the gutters of cyberspace.

Celtic fans "abusing" Rangers? When Celtic fans take the piss out of Rangers it's labelled "abuse" but when Man United fans do it to Liverpool ( just an example ) it gets labelled banter. Double standards all over the shop.

No, its not at all. You can have banter without trolling or winding up people up.

There is a lot more Mod actions for the Utd or Liverpool threads then there is for the Celtic or Rangers threads although that could be the fact that more posts are reported from those threads, if anything there is more banter, as ya called it, in the Celtic/Rangers threads as ye tend not to report a whole lot and alot of it goes unnoticed then by us.

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    During the last decade or so (?) Rangers players have been booed by the Scotland support, so there is a definite feeling that a part of Scotland's support (mainly the Tartan Army apparently) is made up of Rangers hating people.

There was a time when the Rangers fans made up the bulk of the Scotland support (Hell, I even saw a video from 1967 with both sets of supporters singing God Save the Queen, imagine that), that seems to have shifted to mainly fans of smaller teams and a lot of Celtic fans now.

The recent disliking of the SFA has probably only increased this.

As for OP's quotes: I assume these are from Follow Follow ?
    Not exactly a representation of the average Rangers support though, plenty of them still follow Scotland ;)

RM. :rolleyes:

Ha, probably even worse :D

Ha, probably even worse :D

To be fair, it's an understandable question for anyone who doesn't really have an interest in Scottish Football.
    For the likes of Lennonist though, it's a simple fishing trip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

To be honest, it all seems to be part of the general trend of turning your back on international football. The apathy towards it seems to be growing at an alarming rate, well in countries that dont win anything anyway.
    Shame really, some of us really enjoy the international matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Is there an option to hide threads aswell as posters?

Unfortunately no, sure if there was we wouldn't have to read about that farce of a LOI and all the 'chip on shoulder' followers thereof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

rangers fans are pissed cos the sfa enforced liquidation rules

scotland fans boo some rangers players because they pulled out of several nt squads for their club

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Dempsey wrote: »

scotland fans boo some rangers players because they pulled out of several nt squads for their club

I think that's a big red herring to be honest. I don't know when this started but I remember that in teh mid to late 80's a lot of (not all) Rangers fans backed England over Scotland. I'm also fairly certain that the Rangers firm always went to England over Scotland back then too.

Dempsey wrote: »

It was going on long before that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

There was a time when the Rangers fans made up the bulk of the Scotland support (Hell, I even saw a video from 1967 with both sets of supporters singing God Save the Queen, imagine that), that seems to have shifted to mainly fans of smaller teams and a lot of Celtic fans now.)

Judging by the booing GSTQ got last night, I think it is fair to say that situation has changed.

To be fair, it's an understandable question for anyone who doesn't really have an interest in Scottish Football.
    For the likes of Lennonist though, it's a simple fishing trip.

:) So when you feel unable to engage directly with the points of discussion that are put to you, you just try to engage in a kind of sly dig. "The likes of" he says, "the likes of" what exactly. Poor effort.

It was going on long before that.

It was a small vocal minority before that.

Hardly.

It has been like that for the last decade at least.
    Sure, the latest developments intensified the dislike of the Scottish national team among some Rangers fans but it's hardly the reason.

Hardly.

Sure, the latest developments intensified the dislike of the Scottish national team among some Rangers fans but it's hardly the reason.

So what is/are the other reason(s). Is the slow growth in a desire for Scottish Independence a factor, would Rangers fans generally be on the No side of the Referendum next year?

Hardly.

Go on so, give us a run down of the events that lead Rangers fans to eventually hate their own SFA with a passion and start supporting England.

So what is/are the other reason(s). Is the slow growth in a desire for Scottish Independence a factor, would Rangers fans generally be on the No side of the Referendum next year?

That is a factor indeed, yes.

It's no secret that a vast amount of Rangers fans will vote No next year, and the Scottish fans (with the Tartan Army at the forefront) seem very vocal in their support for the Yes camp.

It's really a mix of Rangers players being booed, the recent hatred of the SFA, a general lack of interest in international football,...
    I also notice a general dislike of the Tartan Army and their behaviour.

And unlike what Dempsey claims there is no substantial amount of Rangers fans who support England. If anything, they would be more interested in Northern Ireland outside of Scotland, due to known reasons and the fact several Rangers players play/have played for them.

What karma_ said might be true, I think if Rangers fans follow England it's got to do with the whole casual, lad,... culture that follows them around wherever they go. I know for a fact that several fans of my own team in Belgium also like England a lot, for the same reasons.

And unlike what Dempsey claims there is no substantial amount of Rangers fans who support England.

Never claimed that there was a substantial amount that support England

That is a factor indeed, yes.

It's no secret that a vast amount of Rangers fans will vote No next year, and the Scottish fans (with the Tartan Army at the forefront) seem very vocal in their support for the Yes camp.

It's really a mix of Rangers players being booed, the recent hatred of the SFA, a general lack of interest in international football,...
    I also notice a general dislike of the Tartan Army and their behaviour.

And unlike what Dempsey claims there is no substantial amount of Rangers fans who support England. If anything, they would be more interested in Northern Ireland outside of Scotland, due to known reasons and the fact several Rangers players play/have played for them.

What karma_ said might be true, I think if Rangers fans follow England it's got to do with the whole casual, lad,... culture that follows them around wherever they go. I know for a fact that several fans of my own team in Belgium also like England a lot, for the same reasons.

The enemy within for the people of Scotland.

The enemy within for the people of Scotland.

I didn't know Rangers fans made up the majority of Scottish people ?

Or do you think they're the only ones who will vote No :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement