Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do Rangers fans hate Scotland for?? Identity crisis??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

dd972 wrote: »
    Already touched on the main post of the thread earlier, some Rangers fans follow England because they think it carries more macho kudos than kilted Tartan Army lads having a laugh and a party.

Nonsense some follow England because they for various reasons have a gripe with the Scottish Football Authorities. Much as many Tic fans follow the Republic of Ireland for the same reasons.
    Of course there are some who follow England because of the whole loyalist thing again similar to Tic fans who Follow the Republic of Ireland because of the whole republican thing and to be honest if you have spent anytime in Glasgow you already know this Its the same as many people from NI follow both teams for the above reasons all very sad.
    I know I and more and more Rangers fans don't want our team associated with this but it will take years to change certain groups attitudes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

I think international football has a value and I don't like seeing it undermined. In Scotland's case it is an opportunity for rival fans of Celtic and Rangers and others to get behind their national team and support them in unison. I find it odd and negative that there would be fans of either club that would actively want Scotland to lose. And I don't buy the notion that a fan of any club side would want a national side to lose because they have gripes with the football authority of that nation. I wouldn't be a fan of the FAI but I would still always want Ireland to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

But it's pretty clear that is the case, i dont think anyone is disputing that?
    Anyway, look, if i overstepped the mark, i take it back, there are some complete muppets of celtic fans posting in these threads and while i disagree with your style, though not substance necessarily, i dont mean to include you in that motley crew.

I made that point because at that stage of the thread it wasnt mentioned and OP didnt seem to have a clue. It wasnt made to drag the thread off topic and if you check back, the thread continued on fine afterwards.

After I misinterpreted BBE post, I got the usual guff from the usual people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Dempsey wrote: »
    I made that point because at that stage of the thread it wasnt mentioned and OP didnt seem to have a clue. It wasnt made to drag the thread off topic and if you check back, the thread continued on fine afterwards.

After I misinterpreted BBE post, I got the usual guff from the usual people.

For gods sake it was mentioned in Post #5

That would include me i suppose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Wow.

I've been attacked by Celtic fans for wearing a Rangers top once.

Therefore there's a hundred percent chance of being attacked by Celtic fans when compared to Rangers fans.
    True Story.

This thread is amazing.

Eirebear wrote: »
    Wow.

I've been attacked by Celtic fans for wearing a Rangers top once.

Therefore there's a hundred percent chance of being attacked by Celtic fans when compared to Rangers fans.
    True Story.

This thread is amazing.

Only once your only a beginner ;)

For gods sake it was mentioned in Post #5

That would include me i suppose?

Ah yes, it was very clearly pointed out too! :rolleyes:

Well, I'm not going to apologise for posting it, it was relevant and a correct thing to say.

Its not the first time you've done that to me but no, I had other people in mind when making that remark.

Ah yes, it was very clearly pointed out too! :rolleyes:

Well, I'm not going to apologise for posting it, it was relevant and a correct thing to say.

Its not the first time you've done that to me but no, I had other people in mind when making that remark.

Seriously, what's not clear about this in relation to the original question?
    Obviously, you're spending a lot of time misinterpreting things in this thread mate - but that's pretty ****ing clear from where i'm standing.
    The problems on this thread have came from the Celtic fans playing dumb in order to suit their own bull****.
    1. I don't hate Scotland, although i'm generally apathetic towards international football, I always want them to win.
    2. There is a bit of a history with Scotland, and both sets of "Old Firm" fans, in that there is a special sort of hatred reserved by Aberdeen/Dundee Utd fans and the like for Glasgow based players. This, in recent years, has become a lot more pronounced and it puts a lot of fans off going to games etc.
    3. I'm not sure if you've noticed - but a lot of Rangers fans aren't exactly huge fans of anything involved with the SFA right now...

Seriously, what's not clear about this in relation to the original question?
    Obviously, you're spending a lot of time misinterpreting things in this thread mate - but that's pretty ****ing clear from where i'm standing.
    The problems on this thread have came from the Celtic fans playing dumb in order to suit their own bull****.

You seem very upset by the fact that I mentioned the reason why Rangers fans were pissed at the SFA. Stop being so bloody sensitive about it. :rolleyes:

That comment didnt derail the thread. I said I misinterpreted BBE post regards the riots over 30 posts ago but that hasnt stopped people accusing me of x,y & z. You think I'm not going to defend my comments where I know there was nothing wrong with making them?

You seem very upset by the fact that I mentioned the reason why Rangers fans were pissed at the SFA. Stop being so bloody sensitive about it. :rolleyes:

That comment didnt derail the thread. I said I misinterpreted BBE post regards the riots over 30 posts ago but that hasnt stopped people accusing me of x,y & z. You think I'm not going to defend my comments when I know there was nothing wrong with making them?

Dempsey i'm not actually having a dig at you here, but you may want to read the thread again.
    I've had issue with Lennonist all the way through it, and i clearly answered the OP's question in my first post.
    The OP wasn't the one pushing for reasoning, it was Lennonist, and i think you must be able to see the reasons for mistrusting that line of questioning given how long he spends in the Rangers thread talking about related matters.

Yes, i reacted to you - but could you blame me given where your interpretation of things had take us?

• Advertisement

Dempsey i'm not actually having a dig at you here, but you may want to read the thread again.
    I've had issue with Lennonist all the way through it, and i clearly answered the OP's question in my first post.
    The OP wasn't the one pushing for reasoning, it was Lennonist, and i think you must be able to see the reasons for mistrusting that line of questioning given how long he spends in the Rangers thread talking about related matters.

Yes, i reacted to you - but could you blame me given where your interpretation of things had take us?

I think the misinterpretation could have been cleared up much quicker than it was and alot of aggro avoided. What did you think I meant by
    Dont link the Martin Bain statement, he's full of shít.

I think the misinterpretation could have been cleared up much quicker than it was and alot of aggro avoided. What did you think I meant by dont link me to Martin Bain's statement?

Pretty sure Martin Bain also said in a statement that it was not a majority of Rangers fans involved that is where the misunderstanding comes from because the part about fans of other clubs being involved was stupid

Pretty sure Martin Bain also said in a statement that it was not a majority of Rangers fans involved that is where the misunderstanding comes from because the part about fans of other clubs being involved was stupid

If I remember correct, the contentious point of his statement, which was discussed at the time, was the shifting of the blame for the rioting onto fans of other clubs etc. Not for a second did I think or say, then or now, that it was the majority of fans that travelled that did. Thats why my conclusion at the time was that you were referring to the majority of rioters, which I found absurd! :pac:

I think the misinterpretation could have been cleared up much quicker than it was and alot of aggro avoided. What did you think I meant by

So you want to keep discussing it?
    Jesus, I don't have all of Martin Bain's statements to hand, he made plenty of them.

You misinterpreted things, not me.
    While i'm not expecting any sort of apology for that, stop playing hard done by because people reacted to what you said.

Exactly what is wrong with looking for reasons and explanations behind something? BTW I think it's fairly dumb for supporters of any club to actively want their national team to lose because they are miffed with the football authorities, don't you?

Ive explained my issues with your attitude on this thread. I wont be doing it again.

As for the second part, I dont particularly care what feelings people have towards their national team.
    Its not like its a new phenomenon in Scotland is it?

Ive explained my issues with your attitude on this thread. I wont be doing it again.

No you haven't, you just don't like it when people put points of discussion to you. If you don't want to debate with me you can ignore me and also you can stop name dropping me or referring to me in posts you are making to other people which is fairly ignorant behaviour in my view.
    As for the second part, I dont particularly care what feelings people have towards their national team.
    Its not like its a new phenomenon in Scotland is it?

Just because it's not new doesn't make it any less stupid does it? Being apathetic towards a national side is one thing, actually wanting them to lose because they are miffed with the authorities is nonsensical. Wouldn't you agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Misleading thread title, incidentally.

Should have been: 'Why do a small number of Rangers fans hate Scotland?' I suspect the OP possibly knew this but carried on.

Rangers supporters turning their backs on Scotland makes as much sense as them turning their backs on their own club.

They haven't rejected their team because of people like Murray, Whyte, Green etc, so why do the same with Scotland because of the blazers at the SFA?

If some of them can't be arsed with international football, fair enough, but the above reasoning is inherently flawed.

Ironically, when Scotland fans invaded the Wembley turf in 1977, the majority would have been bluenoses.

Yet, a large number of the Scotland support is made up of Rangers fans to this day, I met a few in London this week, for instance.

But, like everywhere you go, and everything you read, the loudest self-loathers grab all the attention.

Lennonist wrote: »
    No you haven't, you just don't like it when people put points of discussion to you. If you don't want to debate with me you can ignore me and also you can stop name dropping me or referring to me in posts you are making to other people which is fairly ignorant behaviour in my view.

Are you involved in this thread? It's hard to ignore that unfortunately.
    It's got nothing to do with "discussion points", but i;ve explained that numerous times.
    Just because it's not new doesn't make it any less stupid does it? Being apathetic towards a national side is one thing, actually wanting them to lose because they are miffed with the authorities is nonsensical. Wouldn't you agree?

It's no skin off my nose really.
    I don't particularly agree with them, but i don't think anyone should be forced to support a football team because they are playing under the label of "Scotland".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Plenty of Celtic fans this dislike the national team for that very reason

Are you involved in this thread? It's hard to ignore that unfortunately.
    It's got nothing to do with "discussion points", but i;ve explained that numerous times.

No you haven't, it appears you got miffed because I put a few questions to you.

It's no skin off my nose really.
    I don't particularly agree with them, but i don't think anyone should be forced to support a football team because they are playing under the label of "Scotland".

Nobody is forcing anyone to support anyone, where are you getting that from. This thread was originally about a few Rangers fans who want Scotland to lose to England the other night.

Plenty of Celtic fans this dislike the national team for that very reason

I know that and I have already referred to that. To me that's dumb and blinkered thinking.

No you haven't, it appears you got miffed because I put a few questions to you.

:rolleyes:

Nobody is forcing anyone to support anyone, where are you getting that from. This thread was originally about a few Rangers fans who want Scotland to lose to England the other night.

Which is what i was just talking about was it not?

:rolleyes:

Yep.

So you want to keep discussing it?
    Jesus, I don't have all of Martin Bain's statements to hand, he made plenty of them.

You misinterpreted things, not me.
    While i'm not expecting any sort of apology for that, stop playing hard done by because people reacted to what you said.

You're asking me questions and I'm answering them. When you stop asking questions, i'll stop answering them!

I'm not playing hard done by, as I said, usual guff from the usual people. Nothing I havent seen before. Just think it could have been resolved quicker and certainly before you and few others felt the need to jump in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXahiSbmHhE I guess theres a lot in this that rangers fans wont agree with but the general sentiment is the same

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

This thread has turned to ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheBuilder

dd972 wrote: »
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/celtic-praised-by-manchester-police-969342.html

Don't follow Celtic or Scottish football but this sums up the difference between the Old Firm fans for me, one being a load of angry, misanthropes and the other being up for the craic. There's probably 90% more chance of being attacked by Ranger's fans for wearing a Celtic shirt in the wrong pub or part of Glasgow / Belfast then the other way around.

Well in that case if we're basing it on police and newspaper reports, Celtic were slammed for the trouble caused in Brentford pre season while Rangers fans were praised for their behaviour in Sheffield a week later so does that lessen that ridiculous 90% chance bull**** you've just came out with then failed to back up?

As usual this thread is filled with crap from people a who know next to nothing about Rangers or their fans but prefer to make sweeping generalisations about them based on very little.

It's astonishing that this thread is still going to be honest when it is so far off topic it's gotten crazy.

Rangers fans do not hate the Scottish national team, a portion of Rangers fans support England, around the same number despise the SFA. A similar number despise the SFA but still support the national team anyway, and quite a few just couldn't give a flying one about international football.

Also, Rangers Media is nowhere to be taking posts from to come to any sort of conclusion about what we are like, and for every post you could find supporting England I could go find one somewhere else support Scotland.

It's really that simple, shocking thread title as well to go with the other sweeping generalisations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

This thread is obviously appropriate for responding, but dd972 admits to not following Scottish football - yet passes full, sweeping judgement on Rangers supporters based on a newspaper article.

Aye, right you are then.

This thread is obviously appropriate for responding, but dd972 admits to not following Scottish football - yet passes full, sweeping judgement on Rangers supporters based on a newspaper article.

Aye, right you are then.

There's often a simple explanation to that - especially on this forum.
    Many of these people have never met a Rangers fan in their life - they spend their lives hearing stories of "The big bad hun" from their Celtic supporting mates who travel over to Parkhead every now and again, regailing them with stories of these horrible, knuckle dragging, child eating protestants who terrorise the streets of Glasgow and Belfast.

The sad thing is, even their mates who travel to Glasgow every now and again, don;t typically come into contact with the Rangers support, instead regurgitating the stories told to them by bitter and twisted locals over cheap pints of Tennants and crappy Guinness in Gallowgate hovels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

Many of these people have never met a Rangers fan in their life - they spend their lives hearing stories of "The big bad hun" from their Celtic supporting mates who travel over to Parkhead every now and again, regailing them with stories of these horrible, knuckle dragging, child eating protestants who terrorise the streets of Glasgow and Belfast.

The sad thing is, even their mates who travel to Glasgow every now and again, don;t typically come into contact with the Rangers support, instead regurgitating the stories told to them by bitter and twisted locals over cheap pints of Tennants and crappy Guinness in Gallowgate hovels.

You quote someone talking about sweeping generalisations and then spout that load of ****e, no wonder you are so hostile to Celtic fans with those preconceptions.

bobmalooka wrote: »
    You quote someone talking about sweeping generalisations and then spout that load of ****e, no wonder you are so hostile to Celtic fans with those preconceptions.

I'm speaking entirely from experience.

Nowhere did i say that everyone fell into this category, but i think it's entirely fair to suggest that the likes of dd972's posts are borne entirely out of ignorance.

Given the social, and historical context of Rangers and Celtic within an Irish background, i think you'll find that my reasoning is pretty sound.

so your response to this is to portray celtic fans as either bitter tennants drinking Glaswegians or gullible irish part timers.

so your response to this is to portray celtic fans as either bitter tennants drinking Glaswegians or gullible irish part timers.

Nope. But if the cap fits.

Nope. But if the cap fits.

aye no bitterness there at all... jog on mate

aye no bitterness there at all... jog on mate

Do you honestly believe you don't have a section of support just like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

So when someone comes on here and makes a stupid statement about Rangers fans while admitting he has no interest in Celtic or Scottish football that makes it the fault of Celtic fans??

Got to be one of the most ridiculous posts in this thread and that's quite an achievement

RoryMac wrote: »
    So when someone comes on here and makes a stupid statement about Rangers fans while admitting he has no interest in Celtic or Scottish football that makes it the fault of Celtic fans??

Got to be one of the most ridiculous posts in this thread and that's quite an achievement

Well it's hardly the fault of the ****ing Rangers fans is it?

Seriously, are you guys so blind?
    How many bluenoses do you know in your own locality, i'd put a large amount of money that there's very few.
    How about Celtic fans?
    I'd say there's probably a few of them now eh?
    Normally split into a fair percentage of Premiership fans who follow Celtic as a second team, a few normal Celtic fans who go to the games and all the rest, and maybe one or two nutters who buy into the whole Celtic/Ira connection.
    From my experience, this is true across towns all over Ireland.

So where are people who don't frequent Glasgow's opinions on Rangers going to be influenced by?

Now, for those traveling fans, again - i'm not suggesting they're all bitter or gullible, but how often would the realistically run into Rangers fans on a trip across?
    Heading overnight, few beers on the way to the game in Celtic pubs, few beers on the way back in Celtic pubs - because after all, you're wearing colours, your not gonna get in elsewhere.

So how many good stories are you gonna hear about Rangers fan in the Brazen, or the Sarry Head? Not many really are you?

So again, where are those influences coming from?

It's all pretty damn logical, and when you team that up with the pure ignorance of dd972's post about 90% more chance of getting attacked by a Rangers fan, the ignorance is loud and clear.
    That's before we get into the stereotypical Protestant/Catholic divide which sadly, many people still buy into and still affects the way people think, both in Scotland and Ireland.

Be honest with yourself lads - I;m talking from experience and an understanding how my own Celtic supporting friends operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

You've spent half this thread arguing against the exact same logic but I'll indulge you;

Yes I admit there is a section of support just like this.

Isn't there a section of your support who like full scale rioting on away days?

A section who like sending bullets to Celtic players?

A section who like sending bomb-like packages to Neil Lennon?

You can't have it both ways lads.

If the cap fits I believe your son said...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'm surprised this thread has turned into celtic and rangers fans having a go at each other :pac:

• Advertisement

i was suggesting that your buddy is bitter, considering he put us into 2 categories

Wow! Suggesting that many Irish people, Celtic fan or nay, don't have much contact with Rangers supporters is apparently a ridiculous and controversial statement these days.
    This thread is mental.

Wow! Suggesting that many Irish people, Celtic fan or nay, don't have much contact with Rangers supporters is apparently a ridiculous and controversial statement these days.
    This thread is mental.

righteous

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheBuilder

You've spent half this thread arguing against the exact same logic but I'll indulge you;

This could go round in circles all night if your going to nit pick incidents like that, which have no bearing whatsoever on the overall majority of be rangers support.

EB clearly explained his point on the fans travelling over for games, only mixing with Celtic fans for the few hours or over night stay naturally, hearing stories then passing those stories onto ignorant individuals like dd what ever his name is.

It doesn't say anything about the majority of Celtic fans, but it does say a lot about the ignorant majority of Irish people who know nothing about Rangers but hold an opinion based on very little.

I have a friend who never met a Rangers fan in his life until he met me on our first day at college, admitted himself he hated Rangers and their fans based on no actual experience but stories he's heard, and even that he was unsure of me to begin with. We ended up being best friends for the four years of college and don't have a bad word to say about each other and he happily admits he was wrong, no denying there is an unsavoury element, but judgements made on no experience or evidence are worthless is the point being made.

I'm so glad I coach in women's football over here in Glasgow, can enjoy games at the weekend without all the ****e in a team mixed with fans of loads of different clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

This thread is mental.

Don't be so precious, you suggested a bit more than that.

Is it so hard to believe some people might have a developed a negative and in dd972's case ignorant view of Rangers fans without Celtic fans regaling them in stories of "the big bad hun"?

Is it so hard to believe some people might have a developed a negative and in dd972's case ignorant view of Rangers fans without Celtic fans regaling them in stories of "the big bad hun"?

did you not know that the meeja are sellick fans???

Cienciano wrote: »
    I'm surprised this thread has turned into celtic and rangers fans having a go at each other :pac:

I think the thread raised an interesting question, but the way it was phrased ended up with a Celtic v Rangers fans argument. I think it's ridiculous and counter productive that some Scottish Celtic or Rangers or other club's fans would want their national team to lose, because they have grievances with the SFA. Some of it may have to do with a general lack of self esteem with some Scottish people.

Ireland and Irish people suffer from lack of self esteem from time to time, but I would be firmly of the view that having some semblance of control over our affairs - albeit within an EU/IMF context - is better for the national psyche. Scotland has the opportunity to vote for independence next year - and although the polls up 'til now point to the opposite - I hope they do for their own sense of self esteem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

The problem with Scotland is there too many Scots in it.

Whats the point

• Advertisement

The thing is in past threads I have never denied we have bottom feeders at outlet club and I say it by what I wrote in my first post in this thread. And what I argued against was the notion that if was all or nearly all Rangers fans.
    So you didn't indulge me in anything.

Advertisement