Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time walking the Wicklow Way

Options
  • 14-08-2013 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,

I'm planning on walking a some of the Wicklow Way with some friends in a few weeks. The plan is to start in Marley and walk the 21km to Knockree. We'll stay there overnight and then the next day continue on to Roundwood.

Has anybody walked this recently? Any tips? Don't want to be responsible for getting a group of people lost there so trying to gather as much info in advance as possible

Thanks a mill

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

This section of the Wicklow Way gets fairly heavy usage and is overall well signposted so you shouldn't have any difficulty at all. Just be careful not to mix up the Wicklow Way and Dublin Mountains Way like a recent contributor here. These overlap for a short distance up on Fairy Castle towards Tibradden, so take care to follow the correct route where they join & split.

Our Wicklow Way Map Guide by EastWest Mapping has good detail of the route and available from Great Outdoors, Easons etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 e04bf0c3

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭PadraigL

Agree with BarryD. I have walked it a couple of times and used the guide from east west mapping to plan and for keeping on the route especially on last half where the sign posts can be missing or covered.

You definitely need some guide if you are going to do it all. Accomodation after Drumgoff is sparce so the planner is good to know where you are going to get off or stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I made a noob mistake last weekend, below knockree I missed the left turn off the path just before you get to the river and it caused me all sorts of bother. the sign was there but was partially hidden by undergrowth

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement