Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

commercial electrical work

Options
  • 14-08-2013 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭

Im gunna be slaughtered probably for even asking but my familys business had a fire that did alot of damage. A socket burnt out and caused the fire which spread right accross the suspended ceiling incinerating the lighting and wiring.

Now the kicker is no insurance and financially it couldn't happen at a worse time. Got various quotes from for the electrical work and its huge.

A foreign chap works with us who is a qualified electrical engineer with much experience has offered to do the work for us at a fraction.

Would it be against regulation for him to rewire and replace existing lighting and to add aditional wall sockets? Or can his work be tested and certified by someone after?

We have zero doubts about his ability to carry out the job sufficiently, the guy is a genius but dont want to do anything we shouldn't do that will get us in trouble. Every fecking penny depends on our future existence though.

Some advise badly needed. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

In theory it can be done like that but the problem will be finding a contractor willing to certify someone else's work.
    I'd say you will have a hard time finding one.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

From what i know you can get Reci/Escca to certify it for you directly but they will charge you for it....
    From what i remember reading on this forum its like €350 and then if they have to come back a second time for stuff to be checked again its extra etc.....
    You have no Insurance cover for it or public liability etc against your friend....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Registered Electrical Contractors are only permitted to certify thier own work.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

From what i know you can get Reci/Escca to certify it for you directly but they will charge you for it....

I don't know if this is still possible, it certainly was in the past. The new restricted works will definitely mean that it will not be possible, but that does not come into force until October.

There is a form for this is available here:
    http://www.ecssa.ie/includes/tiny_mce/plugins/filemanager/files/Application_for_Certification.pdf

You have no Insurance cover for it or public liability etc against your friend....

....unless you make arrangements to have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭rob316

So if I can get a registered contractor to test and stand over the work its all good in the eyes of the law. Hmm now to find that contractor, thanks for your advise.

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »
    So if I can get a registered contractor to test and stand over the work its all good in the eyes of the law.

No.
    As per my post above, an electrical contractor can only certlfy his own work "in the eyes of the law".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

One wonders was the work done originally by someone who shouldn't have been doing it hence the fire?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭frankmul

From what i remember reading on this forum its like €350 and then if they have to come back a second time for stuff to be checked again its extra etc.....

I thought that we're looking for proof that you were qualified and insured now. They were only certifying for electricians who only did the odd job.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭frankmul

rob316 wrote: »
    So if I can get a registered contractor to test and stand over the work its all good in the eyes of the law. Hmm now to find that contractor, thanks for your advise.

reci/ecssa are gong to town on any contractor who does this. It's against their rules. They might be hard to find now

Advertisement