Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to look out for when entering a flatshare?

Options
  • 14-08-2013 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

So currently I'm in contact with two different people about sharing their home in Spain for 10 months. I've only ever lived in the family home, or my own apartment - so what kind of things should I look out for when sharing? What kind of questions should I ask when viewing the room?

Also, any tips for keeping myself emotionally un-involved? I'm feeling horrible right now about viewing two different places when both sets of people seem so lovely! Gotta keep my business cap on. On that note, which of these two options sounds best to you:

1. Room in a house, walking distance to my workplace, cheaper, quieter location (I'm 23 though so don't necessarily need the peace and quiet!), sharing with a retired lady and a young woman who isn't Spanish.

2. Room in a flat, 10km from my workplace but on a direct bus route (cheap enough fare), €70 more expensive per month, sharing with two mid 20's Spanish professional women, livelier more central location.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

This is what I'd consider.
    What's your story? Do you speak enough Spanish to mix with Spanish people? If you don't, I'd avoid living exclusively with them, in case you feel very left out all the time. Fair enough, your Spanish would probably improve quicker if you were immersed in it, but you might be a bit homesick at the start, so someone to talk to in the evenings would be nice.
    I've moved in with groups of people in the past, who'd known each other for ages, and found I felt a bit on the edge. Do you need a social scene in Spain? Will you be needing to make new friends when you get there? If you do, I'd pay the extra and live more centrally. If its college you're going for, you'll make plenty friends and likely find people in the same situation as you, so it's nice to be near the action in the evenings. If its work, you may (or may not) find that people have already established their social lives, and don't require any new friends- in which case, you should look into clubs in the area that you might join to meet some new buddies!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Are you male or female?
    1. Room in a house, walking distance to my workplace, cheaper, quieter location (I'm 23 though so don't necessarily need the peace and quiet!), sharing with a retired lady and a young woman who isn't Spanish.
    How old is the retired lady? Quiter may mean no parties, and also mayne not inviting back "friends" you meet.
    2. Room in a flat, 10km from my workplace but on a direct bus route (cheap enough fare), €70 more expensive per month, sharing with two mid 20's Spanish professional women, livelier more central location.
    If you can afford it, pick here. More likely to find clubs and pubs nearby, and probably easier to find a social scene if you're not depending on a bus to get home on.

=-=

What are the house rules?
    Can you bring back people, weekend f**k hookups, etc?
    Are the people you're sharing with working or not?
    Will you be living with owner occupiers or not?
    How often are the buses to work?

Advertisement