Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Charity fundraiser from hell at my door!!

• 15-08-2013 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all
    2 months ago I got a knock at the door from an oxfam door 2 door fundraiser, he could not have been more rude, pushy and just plane ignorant! Left me feeling irate and shaken!
    Since this we have complained both to oxfam itself, who are all very supportive of their fundraiser,(we have gone through 4 different members of their staff now, the whole thing is being handled exreamly badly! And I have ended up feeling like I'm being interrogated) and the Irish fundraising body, who were disgusted by this, they also told me it wAs not the first complaint they had heard of about this ONE man!! My neighbour also dealt with the same man and the same thing happened....
    Any one know anywhere I could take this?? Or had similar experiences?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

This seems more suited to Legal Discussion.
    Moved from Dublin County North.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

in general, anybody dealing with some form of torment in the family home would be looking at either

- s. 10 of the Non fatal offences against the person act 1997
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/act/pub/0026/print.html#sec10
    (criminal - gardaí)

or

- action for damages in respect of constitutional rights - article 40.3.2 and art 40.5, even where nobody entered the home. (get solicitor)

However, because the home is recognized as inviolable and is recognized as a secure repose from the world, it's not clear why any person in the OP's position could not simply assert their rights by...closing the door?

OP it doesn't particularly sound like there is a legal case to answer. I aree that these people are generally too pushy. Perhaps you might just remind oxfam of the principles of the aforementioned remedies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

there are too many callers to private houses for various reasons

1. Religious missionary work

2. Phone/Internet or electricity suppliers asking you to consider their firm

3. Chuggers for all sorts of causes

( and before long we will have the election/referendum canvassers

You can :

1. Say "no" and close the door

2 Ask the caller "tell me my son/daughter have you found Jesus- I have found this book most inspirational in getting to know Him- It is only €10" ( Offer them any book you have to hand )

• Registered Users Posts: 7 TanyaD1975

Just for the record, he asked if he could come in.... I did say no.... When that didn't work, he continued prattling on. I did attempt to shut the door, but his foot was blocking it!!
    I have attempted to contact oxfam, they are going on about this mans rights as an employee, but when I questioned them on my rights as a homeowner and a woman (as this mans pitch was on women's rights) I got no response!

Thank you all for your responses though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Maybe you should've told him he had thirty seconds to remove his foot before you call the Gards and have him arrested for trespass...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

Write to the local Chief Superintendent and have him revoke their collection permit:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1962/en/act/pub/0013/sec0012.html#sec12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,501 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Maybe you should've told him he had thirty seconds to remove his foot before you call the Gards and have him arrested for trespass...

Gardai do not have a power of arrest for simple trespass.

I just stop them before they start. The other day a couple of lads from Barretstown children's centre arrived on my doorstep, I politely said that I realised they weren't selling anything and I could see they were from a recognised and worthy charity but I simply didn't do that type of stuff (i.e. give to charities or agree to purchase services) on the doorstep whereupon they thanked me for my time and left.

Airtricity reps don't get quite such a polite response but that's a different story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

I just say I give to my own local charity thanks.i often have a baby hanging off my hip and can't talk.if they put there toe in my door,they would lose a door or worse end up babysitting :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Any aggressive behaviour at doors should be reported to Gardai

Write to the local Chief Superintendent and have him revoke their collection permit:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1962/en/act/pub/0013/sec0012.html#sec12

That's interesting stuff!!! Anyone know how I would go about this in the swords area of north Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

TanyaD1975 wrote: »
    Just for the record, he asked if he could come in.... I did say no.... When that didn't work, he continued prattling on. I did attempt to shut the door, but his foot was blocking it!!
    I have attempted to contact oxfam, they are going on about this mans rights as an employee, but when I questioned them on my rights as a homeowner and a woman (as this mans pitch was on women's rights) I got no response!

Thank you all for your responses though!

'If' you had squashed his foot (as I would have), and the guy was to make a complaint against you to the police, where would the homeowner stand?

Is it the same boat as you shooting a burglar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    'If' you had squashed his foot (as I would have), and the guy was to make a complaint against you to the police, where would the homeowner stand?

I don't know the law here, but in the UK you can be done for assault. Ridiculous, I know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

No one has ever even tried to put their foot in my door, but if they did, I would consider it a home invasion. I keep a hurl beside the door for dealing with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

OP was much as I hate it with a passion. Try calling oxfam again and mention the 2 words every company in Ireland fears joe Duffy. If a company particularly a charity cares about their image they will do anything to please you to stop you damaging their reputation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,501 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

That's interesting stuff!!! Anyone know how I would go about this in the swords area of north Dublin?

The Divisional Officer (Garda-speak for Chief Super) who has Swords in his/her territory is based in Ballymum.

Write to the 'Divisional Officer' at Ballymun Garda Station. The phone number of the divisional office is 01 666 4493, I'd ring them and ask if they deal with street and house to house collections for your area. It may be that for Dublin that function is carried out centrally from Harcourt Sq.

wmpdd3 wrote: »

I too would love to know this!!!
    Following my complaint to oxfam, they have done nothing but treat me like I am the one in the wrong!!
    They have even emailed me stating all the rights this man has as an employee!! When I enquired as to my rights as a homeowner, a woman and a member of the public they simply ignored me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

2 months ago

Left me feeling irate and shaken!

Is it not time perhaps to get over it and let it go?

Is it not time perhaps to get over it and let it go?

Maybe, i brought this to the attention of people, to Make them aware of the issue, and B in the hope that men like this would stop getting the opportunity to treat women alone in their homes like this!
    Thanks for your input though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭brian_t

In this situation would a householder have more of a case if they had a "No Cold Callers" notice on their door or would this make no difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭saltyjack silverblade

Maybe, i brought this to the attention of people, to Make them aware of the issue, and B in the hope that men like this would stop getting the opportunity to treat women alone in their homes like this!
    Thanks for your input though

Really?!?!?!
    I was reading this and very much in agreement with what you were saying earlier but after that sexist remark which is both insulting to men and women, I wonder if you are over reacting to this situation.

• Advertisement

Really?!?!?!
    I was reading this and very much in agreement with what you were saying earlier but after that sexist remark which is both insulting to men and women, I wonder if you are over reacting to this situation.

My apologies if I came across in any way sexist.... I promise you it was not my intention at all! And I can honestly say I would be just as vocal if it had happened 2 my brother, son or husband!
    But as a woman who was alone at the time, th

My apologies if I came across in any way sexist.... I promise you it was not my intention at all! And I can honestly say I would be just as vocal if it had happened 2 my brother, son or husband!
    But as a woman who was alone at the time, th
    .... This man in question left me feeling more vounerable than I have felt in 40 years on this planet!
    Thanks so much for your point though, much appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

For those suggesting the use of force as a response - please note section 2 carefully

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2011/en/act/pub/0035/print.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

How about if you just videoed him on your phone, with you asking him to leave and him not leaving?

Advertisement