Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on dropping and picking up a new subject in 6th year

• 15-08-2013 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi, my family are advising me to drop either geography or home economics before I return to 6th year in September and pick up business, which should I drop if any?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Why would your family think it is a sensible thing to drop a subject you have already covered half the course in and take up a new one and try to jam the two years of work into one year?

I wouldn't advise you to do this. I saw someone pick up Geography and drop Accounting and he just couldn't handle catching up while learning new stuff.
    Also, by being around these forums the past couple of days Business was not really friendly to people depending on it for points. People who thought they got an A1 got C's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Billiethepup

Can you ask your teachers/career guidance for advice? Unless your family are teachers someone who knows the course and your academic history is probably best positioned to advise you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

Why don't u pick up a short course like ag science or economics? Were u doing bad in geog?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 rachinater

i have a very bad home ec teacher who is giving no help with the project and i find the course hard

geography is very hard to get points in

they want me to pick up business as my sister did so this year when she was repeating and she got an A1 and she advised me on doing so and her grinds teacher that she had was excellent

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You are not your sister.
    I know parents mean well, but sometimes they can really get things wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

spurious is right!I honestly think it would be ridiculous to take up a new subject at this stage if you don't have to , just use that time to improve geog/home ec it will be easier to try improve than to start from scratch in my view

Plus both HE and Geography have a non-exam element that you can maximise your marks on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 rachinater

thanks for the advice i think i will stay with geography and home ec and just get extra help maybe

Advertisement