Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R2-D2 in a shop window? (City Centre, late 90s)

Options
  • 15-08-2013 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭

This has been really bugging me for a while now.

I did most of my major partying/drinking in Dublin in and around the tail end of the 90's. As you'd expect this involved a lot of wandering around pubs, takeaways and taxi ranks. I'd usually be with a crowd and didn't know the city too well so would often be walking down streets I had no idea the name of or where I was going.

Whatever way I got home of an evening I walked regularily by some store that had big sheetglass windows. In one of these windows was a full-sized R2-D2 model. In my inebriated state I used to always stop and look in at it enviously. Unfortunately I never took attention enough to note what the establishment that this item was in!

This R2-D2 wasn't just a one-off thing either. I'm sure I saw it several times, so it must have been a long standing attraction in the window of whereever this was.

So does anyone know what business this was or better still where it might have been? I'm sure it was somewhere fairly central (like maybe off Grafton Street probably around 1998-99?).

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Joekers

Possibly Forbidden Planet on Aston Quay that'd be my best guess

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Hematocyte

Thanks for the suggestion, but it wasn't Aston Quay. I get the vibe that it might have been near the Stephens Green end of Grafton Street possibly?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Hematocyte wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestion, but it wasn't Aston Quay. I get the vibe that it might have been near the Stephens Green end of Grafton Street possibly?

Could it have been in the costume shop?

Forbidden Planet used to be on Dawson St bout 10-15 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I think Planet Hollywood (where TGI Fridays on Stephen's Green is now) had a big R2D2 at their front door. I dunno when exactly that was open but I think it was the late 90s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

I think Planet Hollywood (where TGI Fridays on Stephen's Green is now) had a big R2D2 at their front door. I dunno when exactly that was open but I think it was the late 90s.

Ah yes I remember it there too. Chicago Pizza Pie Factory was early to mid? 90s, so yeah prob late 90s alright.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

dazberry wrote: »
    Ah yes I remember it there too. Chicago Pizza Pie Factory was early to mid? 90s, so yeah prob late 90s alright.

D.

Yeah it opened up when Chicago closed (:( :() but it only lasted a couple of years IIRC.

Advertisement