Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

anything cheaper to insure than this?

• 15-08-2013 5:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Sup

I need something to move around quickly thru the town, so i looked at some bikes. I got quoted 820 on a cbr 125, but i was wondering if theres any bike in similar "form" (naked etc,). Im not interested in alikes of honda shadow.

Ages 22, Male, Learner permit.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Something without an "R" in the name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

YB125, CG125 both great commuter bikes and should be very easily insured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

theres a half faired cb125f too

gn125, be along the same lines as the ybr125, cg125 mentioned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

€800+ for a 125cc....THATS MADNESS TED!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Varadero.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

mstq wrote: »
    Sup

I need something to move around quickly thru the town, so i looked at some bikes. I got quoted 820 on a cbr 125, but i was wondering if theres any bike in similar "form" (naked etc,). Im not interested in alikes of honda shadow.

Ages 22, Male, Learner permit.

Cheers

A bicycle or a nice moped or the likes of a varadero.

Start off small and work your way up as you collect NCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭mstq

Wossack, all the ones you proposed are way too old. I need something reliable and that I will be able to use to drive to places like port laois, cork, wicklow, so on.
    Anything newer?

Varadero is nice. I was looking at it, it sounds awesome... I'll need to check how much will they charge me for it.
    I wonder if insurance company would be okay with stripped varadero - removed fairing. anyone has a guess?

Hyosung comet 250 is €940 ;/

/ninjaedit:
    €940 for varadero too.

bull**** quotes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

too old? they're all current models afaik - shoulda been cbf125* above

and yer kinda changing the spec somewhat, now looking for an inter-county bike - something I really wouldnt fancy doing on a 125 of any description (have done in the past, is possible, but not pleasant)

I paid 1600e first year on a 1800e cbr125r in.. um.. 06 I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

I'm pretty sure the r in a bike name stands for rip off insurance.

My cbf 250 was ok to insure and would be much better for those distances you plan on travelling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Reliable you say?
    Then a CG 125 is the one you want. Hard to beat for utter reliability.
    Honda have been making that engine for over 25 years in various different models.
    You aren't going to get any 125 to be a comfortable milemuncher.
    Just face the fact, at your age and for the kind of bike you want you will be paying a lot of money for insurance.
    Get a commuter style bike that is cheap to insure and work up a NCD that will bring your premium down.
    I remember paying big bucks to insure a TS100ER back when the 100cc class was an insurance class, sucked it up and moved on.
    You can't have it all, some things have to be earned or paid for through the nose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    €800+ for a 125cc....THATS MADNESS TED!!!!!

..maybe so: but it's always been that way around here. For instance, my first bike in 1988 cost me £400 and the insurance then £436. In today's money that's €871.

Technically, that's a reduction since........ :eek:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Reliable you say?
    Then a CG 125 is the one you want. Hard to beat for utter reliability.
    Honda have been making that engine for over 25 years in various different models.
    You aren't going to get any 125 to be a comfortable milemuncher.
    Just face the fact, at your age and for the kind of bike you want you will be paying a lot of money for insurance.
    Get a commuter style bike that is cheap to insure and work up a NCD that will bring your premium down.
    I remember paying big bucks to insure a TS100ER back when the 100cc class was an insurance class, sucked it up and moved on.
    You can't have it all, some things have to be earned or paid for through the nose.

Good advice.....as a 125 doing distances like that in weather like yesterday and today will not be a fun or enjoyable experience.

And its not even wintertime yet.

Advertisement