Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I vent my frustrations to my bosses?

Options
  • 15-08-2013 6:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi all,

Im looking for some advice. Ive been incredibly frustrated with my job for a while, due to what I see as poor management and just being taken advantage of.
    I work the same role as another person, who also shares my frustrations. I dont want to bore people going into all the detail, but they dump a lot of work on us with ridiculous deadlines.

Also, (and this is probably the most frustrating thing) both managers used to do the role that I am in now, and at the time I was in a more menial role. In that menial role, they would make us do part of their work constantly, which at the time I believed to be normal. However, now the guys in the more menial role to me don't have to do any of that stuff...in fact, no matter how busy we get, we are not even allowed ask for their help. We brought this up with the managers before and the answer we got was that they went against procedure asking us to help out (i.e. - for our pay grade, we shouldn't have been doing that extra work). So, basically they took advantage of us and now that it no longer benefits them, they've put a stop to it.

My question is does any good ever come from venting frustrations to a boss. I don't want to burn any bridges and would like to get a good reference out of them in the future. I know my co-worker has made several complaints and it's changed nothing. He can get very emotional and I know if hasn't reflected well on him with the bosses. Im not sure I could keep my emotions out of it either, I could see myself starting to well up out of pure frustration. But, I feel so annoyed everyday after work :mad:

I know this post is a bit rambly, so apologies for that and hopefully it makes some sort of sense.:o

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

ash2008 wrote: »
    My question is does any good ever come from venting frustrations to a boss. I don't want to burn any bridges and would like to get a good reference out of them in the future.
    I know my co-worker has made several complaints and it's changed nothing. He can get very emotional and I know if hasn't reflected well on him with the bosses.
    Im not sure I could keep my emotions out of it either, I could see myself starting to well up out of pure frustration.
    I think you've answered it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

ash2008 wrote: »
    My question is does any good ever come from venting frustrations to a boss. I don't want to burn any bridges and would like to get a good reference out of them in the future.
    I'm thinking you should use that reference shortly, and get out to another job?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I know how you feel as I was in your position a few years ago.
    I brought up an issue to my boss at the time. I told about certain things that were going on in the department which were making the staff unhappy.
    I was told in a nice way that things that things would not be changed.

After this I continued to work for the company and within 12 months my supervisor decided to make my life a total misery with a high work load and micro managing me.
    I decided to look for another job due to this and I was glad handing in my notice.

My advice to you is to look for another job if your unhappy in your present job due to the work load/salary or people. In the past I would have taken 2 days holidays to meet up with recruitment agencies I sent my cv to and applied for jobs directly to employers also.
    I took an odd sick day if I had a job interview or some times I met people after work.

Advertisement