Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems With College Books

Options
  • 15-08-2013 7:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi,

I would be interested to hear if any students find it a nightmare getting hold of any books that you need to use for study etc. I've found that they're too expensive to buy, the library never seems to have them or else there's a long waiting list!

What are the other options available or is there any??

thanks again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Phyrexian

It's not a nightmare.

I'd find someone in second year who has completed the modules you are interested in and ask them did they really need their book before purchasing. If you don't find anyone, when you start, search facebook for the year above you's facebook group and ask there.

There's loads of copies of first year books floating around in the library.

I see second hand books advertised everywhere (from toilet walls, UCD notice board to the SU bookshop).

Get them second hand. Never buy a book new unless you have a book voucher or something, because last years copy is invariably exactly the same but at least half the price. I think some modules have books that have a code for online questions, so a used book won't work then. But a used book is nearly always more than enough.

You could also share a book with a friend, flexitime book hours or something.

Also you'll be surprised (depends on the course) that you don't even need the book. I've never got a book for any module, more than enough information was made available by the lecturers in the from of journals, hand outs, borrowing books from library whatever. The only time I couldn't find a book was the night before an essay was being handed in.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

SU bookshop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Depending on your course, books may not be nearly as essential as they're made out to be. I got a solid 2.1 in Theoretical Physics, and the only time I bought a book in the whole degree it was so I could bunk off lectures in a module for the semester, as he was teaching it word for word.

In certain courses the notes provided by the lecturer (in either handout, blackboard, or just taking them down form) will be more than enough to get you through, with the odd library book when you really need it. Placing holds is also worth doing, if you get enough lead time, as is just looking for older editions of the book you need int he library - odds are, it's still accurate enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DaisyFay

Try e-bay - you'd be surprised at how cheap you can get really good condition books for. I bought two recently for just under 80 between them and they havn't been used at all :). One would have been 120 off amazon and that didn't even include delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

The Book Depository and Amazon are generally pretty reasonable if you need a book.

For stuff on the science end of things you'll rarely need a book, for arts (as far as I'm aware) the library is okay for the most part, you might need to buy a few, but lecturers will have readings scanned or whatever online a lot of the time.

First year biology students are sort of made get a book for a couple of online assignments which is a bit of a pain, but if you're really financially stuck the lecturer can sort you out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Got a 2.1 in Geography and History, never bought a single book

Advertisement