Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ag science project recheck question

• 15-08-2013 8:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

hi disappointed with my result yesterday, wondering if i can get the project rechecked as i know my teacher was prejudiced against me and I know i did an excellent exam

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭teach88

No, the projects for Ag Science and Ag Economics cannot be appealed. Your teacher assigned you a mark and this will have been checked and approved by the external examiner when s/he visited your school (whether you were called for interview or not).

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭chickcharnley

teach88 wrote: »
    No, the projects for Ag Science and Ag Economics cannot be appealed. Your teacher assigned you a mark and this will have been checked and approved by the external examiner when s/he visited your school (whether you were called for interview or not).
    thanks for the reply can you please give me a link to where this is stated in the rules or where it clearly states that ag science project marks cannot be rechecked/appealed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Don't have a link but teach88 is correct. You cannot appeal coursework for ag science. It has already been checked by an external examiner. You can only appeal the written exam.

More to the point 'knowing you did an excellent exam' and seeing the mark you were awarded are two very different things. Perhaps you would be better off applying to view your script and see how you got on in the written paper.

If I cant appeal to which nobody can seem to find a link to the rules? doesnt seem very transparent or fair does it ? I know 2 things though:
    1. Teacher was extremely biased against me.
    2. I know I got over 90% in the exam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭lmullen

As teach88 and rainbowtrout have stated the project was externally examined already. How can you know you got 90% in your exam without viewing it. I would view it and the decide to get it checked or not. All rules etc are on the examinations.ie website have a look there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭Daniel7740

You can never be certain what you got in ag cos the marking scheme is a bit of a balls imo

nobody can give me a verifiable link or proof of the following until then then it is just hearsay:
    "You cannot appeal coursework for ag science. It has already been checked by an external examiner. You can only appeal the written exam."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

If I cant appeal to which nobody can seem to find a link to the rules? doesnt seem very transparent or fair does it ? I know 2 things though:
    1. Teacher was extremely biased against me.
    2. I know I got over 90% in the exam.

You cannot know this without seeing the paper. I have viewed scripts many times over the years with students who were convinced going in that they should have received a higher grade because in their mind they did a good exam and wrote a lot.

The odd time they are justified in a few extra marks but plenty of times they wrote a lot but didn't answer the question they were asked and didn't get the marks as a result.

Apply to view your paper in 2 weeks time then you can actually make an informed decision about appealing when you see your mark in front of you and you can compare your answers to the marking scheme.

nobody can give me proof in the rules of the following until then then it is just hearsay:
    "You cannot appeal coursework for ag science. It has already been checked by an external examiner. You can only appeal the written exam."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Your project has already had its marking checked, by the external monitor/examiner. That is what monitoring is for, to deal with any 'the teacher was prejuduced against me' allegations. The monitor agreed with your teacher's mark.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭teach88

nobody can give me proof in the rules of the following until then then it is just hearsay

Hearsay? You asked a question and it was answered (several times). Giving you proof of something is not high on my list of priorities.

Seriously though, I understand your disappointment. Go in and look at your paper and you might find a few more marks but there is no potential for a teacher to be biased in marking projects. As already stated, the marks are all checked by an external examiner.

teach88 wrote: »
    Hearsay? You asked a question and it was answered (several times). Giving you proof of something is not high on my list of priorities.

Seriously though, I understand your disappointment. Go in and look at your paper and you might find a few more marks but there is no potential for a teacher to be biased in marking projects. As already stated, the marks are all checked by an external examiner.

i need a link to the rules for proof, just cos someone says something on a forum does not make it proof, now to my original point can anyone give me a link to the the rules where it states that ag science projects cannot be appealed?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

OK closing this.

OP you have had a reply from someone very involved in the whole AgSc project marking process and still for some reason refuse to accept what the situation is.
    The marking of your project has already been checked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement