Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids Can't Use Computers

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

jacksie66 wrote: »
    My parents and mates think I'm a computer genius. Im a 26 year old plumber and everything I know about computers is self thought. I can build my own pc from scratch, install/reinstall software, and all the usual stuff. When I was in school, computer class consisted of ms paint and fecking clip art. When doing my plumbing trade we had computer classes to learn CAD. Most lads in my class couldnt even turn the thing on while was rooting through the computer or getting around the internet block. I love messing with phones aswell. Rooting, flashing and bolloxing around. Point is, im always shocked by how many of my mates are computer illiterate...

I know what you mean.

I think it would be a good idea to have an ICT curriculum in Transition Year to test the waters first.

Every student should have a taste of linux distributions, and see what they are like in my opinion

I started off using 56k dial up (those were the days when you had to hangup the phone to use the internet, and you couldn't be on it too long or you'd be crucified!). Now we have broadband, most people have access to it which is all the more reason why IT should be encouraged.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Overheal wrote: »
    I remember my CAD class was a joke too. The program was grand and all and some of the projects we did were interesting but they alotted like 4x more time than you actually needed to accomodate for stupid I guess. I always completed the assignments in 30 minutes, and we were always scheduled over 2 hours

Our CAD class was a joke thinking back on it. I ended up doing home economics instead of tech graphics because I got bored so much. I think it was Solid Works was the name of the software we used. It was an absolute joke how the class was run. Most took the piss in the class, teacher had no control, and as you said I had assignments done quicker then estimated. I think a lot of the tech graphics classes are like that though.

Advertisement