Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Golf Buddy Voice GPS-any good?

• 15-08-2013 9:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone here uses the golf buddy voice and if yes what do you think of it? What are the positive/negative points?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭rollotomasi

I bought this for my dad and don't use it myself (i have a laser) but these are my observations: The positives: its small, simple to operate, doesn't give a ton of (sometimes unnecessary) info. - mainly gives front/center/or back distances, not too expensive, can be clipped on bag, hat or on wrist, voice can be turned off, detects the course perfectly and the hole you're on.
    The negatives are it doesn't give distances to features on the course (but i think this ok for most golfers and for courses played regularly), the buttons are small - it is set to give either front or middle or back distances and is a bit fiddly to change this, the screen is small, its a bit chunky to wear on wrist and i wouldn't wear it on my hat - clipped on the bag is good.
    No regrets in buying this for the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭big_drive

Thanks. I like the idea of being able to carry it around in my pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 10 beckam4711

Was wondering can anyone tell me if a replacement battery can be bought for the golf buddy voice + ??. Having a problem with the battery on mine holding the charge - it charges fine but begins to lose its charge once I unplug it??.
    Would'nt mind trying to replace the battery if it can be done??. Can anyone help??

beckam4711 wrote: »
    Was wondering can anyone tell me if a replacement battery can be bought for the golf buddy voice + ??. Having a problem with the battery on mine holding the charge - it charges fine but begins to lose its charge once I unplug it??.
    Would'nt mind trying to replace the battery if it can be done??. Can anyone help??

that doesn't sound right. I'd be looking for a replacement

It doesn't sound right to me either however I bought on ebay from the states last April and I have had contact with the seller who say if I send back he will send on to golf buddy for repair/replacement but I would have to carry the postage costs to and from the states. Also he says it would take anything up 6 weeks to rectify??.
    Not sure what to do???

• Advertisement

Yes, I'd return this to the shop.
    You could try changing the charger - i think its just a standard mini-usb charger? But i wouldnt go fiddling with changing the battery.
    Also try to see if theres any guidance on a forum at Golf Buddy website?

It doesn't sound right to me either however I bought on ebay from the states last April and I have had contact with the seller who say if I send back he will send on to golf buddy for repair/replacement but I would have to carry the postage costs to and from the states. Also he says it would take anything up 6 weeks to rectify??.
    Not sure what to do???

Check if there is an irish (european or GB) rep for the company - they might sort out the problem.
    Another (longer) shot is to check with a shop (McGuirks etc.), they might do you a favour and take it back....

If none of the above, then you've little choice but to go back to the US shop but confirm if are they replacing or repairing it for you....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

Not sure what to do???

The rep in this Country wont be able to help with regards a replacement, as it was not bought in his region, I have asked before and a non starter I'm sorry to say. I dont think the batteries are exchangable.

Mmmm tks for all your input.....and yes I think you are right the battery may not be able to be replaced...certainly not by a non-expert like myself anyway. I may try the charger first before I look to send back I suppose although

sorry didn't finish last post.........it is charging so I would be confident it is not the charger but I will try this anyway just in case.
    If this doesn't work I am going to try for a replacement from the shop...........I don't see any reason if I send this one back why they wouldn't send me on a new one??. they can then be sending it back to golf buddy and get a new one for themselves....what do you think??
    Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭ryaner777

014845651 give them a call and chance your arm ?

Worse they can say is no and then your still in the same situation.

I had a issue with a Bushnell watch and they couldn't have been more helpful when I called. I told them I asked for advice on the boards forum and the customer service they gave was second to none.

Have you tried charging direct from your computer?
    You could try updating the firmware - this probably won't help but might be worth a shot.
    Was the charger american?

I am trying the charger now so will know if that is the problem this evening (had another one at home). Yes the one I was using came with unit so is american!I did notice on the one I was using seemed slightly bent - cud be de prob hopefully!! Will let you know asap.

I rang American Golf in Cork, they only have the golf buddy + in stock for €189

Is the main difference with the + version that all distances are shown on screen plus longer battery life.

Anyone spot a good price in store or online for either the original or + model?

big_drive wrote: »
    I rang American Golf in Cork, they only have the golf buddy + in stock for €189

Is the main difference with the + version that all distances are shown on screen plus longer battery life.

Anyone spot a good price in store or online for either the original or + model?

Saw this for the original version:
    http://www.halpennygolf.com/golf-buddy-voice-p-1409.html
    and looks like same in McGuirks:
    http://www.mcguirksgolf.com/gpsrangefinders-!174-cat.html

I'm wondering is it worth going the extra €30 for the + model?

Ok I have tried the new usb charger now and taken it off charge for the night.....will check am to see if it holds the charge....will let you know tomorrow evening how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

Got myself the voice today in the post 125e from golfstoreeurope. Cool gadget looking forward to using it may save me a few shots on the greens :D

Put my golf buddy on charge today after a round of golf about 1 o clock and it was full charged at 3:30 pm. Just checked now 7:30 pm and it has held its full charge.....Before I begin to believe the problem is sorted I will leave over night and check again 07:30 as I am due to play again tomorrow morning. Ps the only change I made is replaced the usb charger as suggested by Rollotomasi in a previous post ..................... Fingers crossed!!. Will let you all know tomorrow how it ends up and thanks again for all your help.

Ok just checked my golf buddy charge now and its lost a third of its charge over 16 hours - is this normal???. I am going to play a round with it just to see if it will complete the round for me.......I would have thought once charged it would only discharge if turned on??
    Anyone any thoughts for me?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,655 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Ok just checked my golf buddy charge now and its lost a third of its charge over 16 hours - is this normal???. I am going to play a round with it just to see if it will complete the round for me.......I would have thought once charged it would only discharge if turned on??

Sounds strange, wouldn't have thought it should be losing any charge while powered off. I know my golfbuddy world certainly doesn't.

Have you definitely got it powered off properly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭kieran.

I have a Garmin G3 gps in the instructions it say the unit will run down the batterys even is the unit is powered off unless they are completely removed after usage. I guessing it the same issue with the internal battery in the Golf Buddy?

ok update.....I started round this morning with battery showing the 2/3rds charge as in my previous post and got 9 holes complete and battery signal is now showing virtually empty...Help and thoughts please. PS I turn it off after use and screen goes blank so I assume it is powered off!.
    Could it be the battery is useless and will need to be replaced..........another question can battery's be replaced in these units?? Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Did the new charger help significantly over your old charger?

You should check that the new charger is suitable for the Voice - the charger you're using might have too low an output (i don't think all usb chargers are the same - try a charger with a 10V 2.0A output). But before you do this email Golf Buddy support about the type of charger you should be using (or saw this number for Irish tech support: +353 1 484 5651). I saw this online: http://www.amazon.co.uk/International-Charger-Buddy-Voice-Rangefinder/dp/B009NWGSK2

Looking at the Golf Buddy website, it gives an operational use when fully charged, of 9 hours. Have you tried charging it up just before your round and seeing if you get a full round out of it? So long as you can get a full round out of it with the existing battery, then this is ok (assuming you can't replace the battery/unit).

The golf buddy uses a Lithium polymer battery - There are ways to improve the charging of this type of battery if you google them.

If all else fails, another drastic option is to have a mobile juice pack that you can have with you on the course, effectively bypassing the defective battery in the unit.

Ok this is what I have for charging.......Was charging it with the usb charger which came with the unit....details are: Ktec AC adapter Input 100-240v - 50/60Hz 0.15A OUTPUT :5.0V = 0.7A
    Tried the following charger and details are: AC DC adapter input 100-240v 50/60 Hz Output dc5v = 800mA
    Not sure is there any difference??. Have checked the unit again after I charged it fully yesterday - time charging complete 3 pm (yesterday) and left it over night - checked now 12 a.m. and it is just under half full on the battery which is 21 hrs later and it drains....what is happening. I thought when not in use it would hold its full charge??.
    When it has a full charge I do get a full round complete which is something I suppose....I could rather than go to the hassle of sending it back and forth to the states put up with it I suppose.....but it really annoys me having paid so much for the unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 PhilGG

My golf buddy voice = got wet and later for weeks would only half charge. Eventually I levered the front case off and located the battery on back of the board. Unconnected battery and reconnected the battery. Cleaned two metal terminals on inside of case. Put it back together and it charged fully once again. Don't know why. Good luck.

Advertisement