Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm system with wifi to internet?

Options
  • 15-08-2013 9:44am

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a system with wifi for connecting to the internet for remote admin? Something with pet proof PIR's would be good too. And to seal the deal I have a few IP Cam's to go up so would be nice if possible for it to interface in some way with them.

Any tips much appreciated.
    N

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

• Registered Users Posts: 8 arnieguy01

nixmix wrote: »
    Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a system with wifi for connecting to the internet for remote admin? Something with pet proof PIR's would be good too. And to seal the deal I have a few IP Cam's to go up so would be nice if possible for it to interface in some way with them.

Any tips much appreciated.
    N

GSD have launched new panel with app, don't know how good it is though. All the mainstream manufactures have/will have app's soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

HKC should have their app out soon .
    GSD have an app as well as the SPC .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

arnieguy01 wrote: »
    All the mainstream manufactures have/will have app's soon.

Really. What other panels are going to have apps.
    Haven't hears anything from UTC or Visonic on this.
    HKC are working on IP , but they are reluctant to say what that will be used for.
    Its unclear whether the panel will have its own accessible webserver like Siemens or whether there will be a free app with free access etc..
    HKC have also pushed back dates for this release before.

UTC have apps ( alarm.com)
    But that's only in the states .

There's a few I've come across but il have to go digging to find them and they didn't really catch my attention .

If HKCs was a subscription service they could possibly do like in the states and use the GSM-Q to control the panel via an app .. The gsm talks to the server and they server to the smartphone via an app.
    This would be very cool and would allow current HKC setups to have this feature.
    Could possibly allow the 8/12s to have this service too .

• Advertisement

I have looked at UTCs panel over here.
    It has IP but only an an Engineer tool & a very basic interface looking like Windows 98 .
    No user access & no apps that I'm aware of over here.

The workaround using an App is interesting although very basic I'd imagine.
    You wouldn't be getting real time updates. I could see instanced where you use the app to send the text & waiting for 10 minutes for the app to refresh as its waiting on the text reply confirming its set.
    A step in the wrong direction IMO.

They dont even use the newer ge gear over here . its all of the states outdated gear but with en50131 standards.

well it wouldn't necessarily have to text the server . Possibly the GPRS could be utilised

KoolKid wrote: »
    I have looked at UTCs panel over here.
    It has IP but only an an Engineer tool & a very basic interface looking like Windows 98 .
    No user access & no apps that I'm aware of over here.

The workaround using an App is interesting although very basic I'd imagine.
    You wouldn't be getting real time updates. I could see instanced where you use the app to send the text & waiting for 10 minutes for the app to refresh as its waiting on the text reply confirming its set.
    A step in the wrong direction IMO.

Very basic and would bring a couple extra euros to HKC ;)
    Would also work as a back up to a power out . If the power goes your broadband goes .
    The Gsm-Q/P should still function and you'd still get your notifications via the app

• Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Friedland Globalguard has such functionality. I got the set on ebay, also has an app.

Most installers would shoot that panel down since its sold via the likes of B&Q.
    They are a grade one panel and at one stage the kit use to come with a years connection to a monitoring station

• Advertisement

Really. What other panels are going to have apps.
    Haven't hears anything from UTC or Visonic on this.
    HKC are working on IP , but they are reluctant to say what that will be used for.
    Its unclear whether the panel will have its own accessible webserver like Siemens or whether there will be a free app with free access etc..
    HKC have also pushed back dates for this release before.

UTC and HKC both said they have apps planned for new year but in hindsight I would take this information with a pinch of salt!!

Bit disappointed with GSD's new panel tbh, the kit is overpriced, approx 257 euro ex vat and the panel and wireless pir and pa looks at bit cheap. Dont see it making an impact, and they cant seem to get any serious distributors to stock it also

The prices I have seen for GSD put it a little dearer than Visonic but cheaper than HKC.

The prices I have seen for GSD put it a little dearer than Visonic but cheaper than HKC.

If you consider the hkc pack comes with a full functioning keyfob and the gsd only comes with two proximity fobs(other than that packs are identical), eliminate fobs from packs and gsd is actually more expensive

But when you add the cost of extra devices the GSD becomes cheaper.

Advertisement