Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kettlebells Injuries

• 15-08-2013 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Hey,

Was considering taking up kettlebells cause I've been seriously neglecting any levels of fitness whatsoever for a while now and tried jogging but with my fallen arches my knees and hips don't like it at all. Swimming is my thing (or was before I became so unfit and flabby) but I moved recently and don't live near a pool anymore.
    But I heard that physios hate kettlebells cause so many people come in with injuries from them...is this true? I've googled it and it's all about doing it correctly to avoid injuries blah blah - but I'm a beginner, how will I have a clue whether I'm doing it right until I actually injure myself?
    Worth noting: I'm female and have a niggly shoulder thing from years ago.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Go to a decent trainer to make sure your form is correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

It depends on your teacher imo. When I was working in london the gym had some great teachers who knew how to structure a class for different levels, how to make people use correct technique and progress or regress the exercises accordingly. And then some of the teachers I'd see them running their class and be "Holy f*ck, who let that person in the gym" I figure its probably the same over here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,282 ✭✭✭COH

Physios love anything that injures people because it keeps them in business :)

I would suggest getting instruction from someone qualified to teach you the basics.

EDIT - Yeah, what they said

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Nicman

Ok, so I'll just have to judge it then and see if she gives a cr@p about posture etc and that should mean she's aware of injuries and a good teacher?

Physios are gas, I went to one earlier this year with my neck/shoulder and honestly he made it worse even though he's very reputable! Never again :P

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Robin132

I went to kettlebells once....... never again. I was having back spasms for a week and could barely move for nearly two weeks after it. The person running the class told me I was doing great, was a natural, perftect posture etc but obviously wasn't!

Now as people say if you get the correct instructor etc I'm sure its fine, I know people who do it with n problems at all so I think it depends on the preson and instructor.

• Advertisement

Thanks Robin...jeez hard to know what to do then. I dont want back problems etc but finding it so hard to find other classes given work times and where I live vs work too.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

I think Kettlebells can be a fantastic and fun workout and I really enjoy using them as part of my training when I can.

However, I am a qualified PT and when I went to do the kettlebell instructor training course I was horrified at the amount of PTs that were there to learn how to teach kettlebells who had never touched a kettlebell themselves.

My advice to you is to not let this turn you off going to kettlebells. See if you can get any recommendations for kettlebell classes in your area and if not, I think you should look for PTs that are running classes outside of a gym. These PTs have a lot to lose if people keep getting niggles or injuries, whereas sometimes gym instructors that are teaching kettlebells for free in a gym wouldn't actually notice or care if numbers are dwindling. I know that is a terrible blanket statement to make, but it might be helpful until you figure out what classes you want to go to.

Try out a few classes by different instructors and you'll know yourself which ones you think are worthwhile.

Hope that helps. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭redzerredzer

Robin132 wrote: »
    I went to kettlebells once....... never again. I was having back spasms for a week and could barely move for nearly two weeks after it. The person running the class told me I was doing great, was a natural, perftect posture etc but obviously wasn't!

When you do new movements you are going to feel sore after. It does not mean you are injured. Just get through the first two weeks and if you keep it up you should not feel sore anymore.

OP, are you anywhere near Sandyford in Dublin by any chance. My wife goes to a very good class there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Billiethepup

+1 for PT.

Drop-in group classes aren't suitable for peeps with injuries or in rehab, simples. On one level it doesn't matter what type of class it is. Unless its a small group and each client is well known by the trainer etcetc, then its obviously a different situation and more like group PT. If you've got a bit of a shoulder niggle, plus knees plus feet issues go get some one-on-one instruction first OP. When you've built up some strength and are confident in your own technique then go and join a group class. No reason why you can't use KBs but a few technique sessions first will go a long way to keeping the exercises safe and effective.

Have fun, they're awesome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Kettlebells are fantastic, but yes you need to learn from a very good teacher, I can recommend one Nicman if you're in or near Dublin City? its where I learned and the trainer really knows his stuff, I can PM you details if you're interested?

• Advertisement

It actually is helpful yes, although I'm sure it's not always the case with instructors in gyms buy I see what you mean. This girl is running a kettlebell-specific gym and there are personal trainers working out of there too so I guess above all the places I could be going this would probably be the best bet. Thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

Nicman wrote: »
    It actually is helpful yes, although I'm sure it's not always the case with instructors in gyms buy I see what you mean. This girl is running a kettlebell-specific gym and there are personal trainers working out of there too so I guess above all the places I could be going this would probably be the best bet. Thanks again!

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Robin132

When you do new movements you are going to feel sore after. It does not mean you are injured. Just get through the first two weeks and if you keep it up you should not feel sore anymore.

OP, are you anywhere near Sandyford in Dublin by any chance. My wife goes to a very good class there.
    I'm not talking the "I've done new movements" sore, I mean absolute agony, there is a very big difference.

But as I say, I know people who do it with other instructors and they are fine. Could just have been me/the instructor.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

From using kettlebells, I think the easiest thing to injure is your back. You need to learn correct posture and form right from the outset, doing simple swings, before trying anything harder like cleans and snatches. In every move you need to be conscious of your posture, back position, and which muscles are activated. With many of us doing sedentary jobs these days, it can take a while to get the glute muscles (which do a lot of the work with kbs) to 'switch on'.

Once you start doing overhead moves, thats when the shoulders come under pressure. Go lighter, (sometimes much lighter) till you master it. Make sure your instructor knows about your old injury, so you can allow for it and only move gradually into exercises that might put a strain on it.

+1 for PT.

Drop-in group classes aren't suitable for peeps with injuries or in rehab, simples. On one level it doesn't matter what type of class it is. Unless its a small group and each client is well known by the trainer etcetc, then its obviously a different situation and more like group PT. If you've got a bit of a shoulder niggle, plus knees plus feet issues go get some one-on-one instruction first OP. When you've built up some strength and are confident in your own technique then go and join a group class. No reason why you can't use KBs but a few technique sessions first will go a long way to keeping the exercises safe and effective.

Have fun, they're awesome!

I think you're right Billiethepup and Firedance. I'm not near Dublin I'm in Galway but thanks a mil lads for the offer.

Also Oryx, makes sense - you're sitting at a computer all day or whatever and your muscles won't be as loose and ready for it as they would be otherwise. So yeah - I will tell her of my injury and start light...not go along with the weights she necessarily recommends at first and take it easy until my joints get used to it.

Thanks a mil for all the advice lads, was kinda turned off going but I'm defo going to give it a bash now

Also Oryx, makes sense - you're sitting at a computer all day or whatever and your muscles won't be as loose and ready for it as they would be otherwise.
    I think its more that the muscles are used to being in completely the opposite position (sitting, stretched, relaxed) to that demanded of them when doing kettlebells (standing, flexed).

Oryx wrote: »
    I think its more that the muscles are used to being in completely the opposite position (sitting, stretched, relaxed) to that demanded of them when doing kettlebells (standing, flexed).

Totally - either way my muscles won't like it at first! haha! So in short, that's why I have to mind them like little babies until they're ready for hardcore :P B)

Totally - either way my muscles won't like it at first! haha! So in short, that's why I have to mind them like little babies until they're ready for hardcore :P B)
    When you're not used to using your glutes you will take the strain through your back. That's why you need them!

I think you're right Billiethepup and Firedance. I'm not near Dublin I'm in Galway but thanks a mil lads for the offer.

Go to Purefit (Liosban Industrial est) or Galway kettlebells. http://galwaykettlebells.com/

Both have excellent instructors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Go to Purefit (Liosban Industrial est) or Galway kettlebells. http://galwaykettlebells.com/

I think Pat Divilly over in Barna also either has or is about to have StrengthFirst certification for kettlebell instruction

https://www.facebook.com/PatDivillyFit

• Advertisement

Actually Galway Kettlebells is the one I was going to go to - super!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Kettlebells are pure class, there is not a muscle you cannot really work well and its good from a cardio point of view.

There are horror stories about injuring yourself, but a slow progression up the weight and difficulty curve is needed. There are basics to get first. Expect soreness after a class for many days. A good trainer will teach you the basics first, the swing, the rack etc. These are the fundamentals, if you try to do crazy stuff with big weight you will have a bad time cause your dealing with weight at velocity.

Good trainer, Colin and sandyford BHAF does a great class that I have done myself and my wife does. He wont let you damage yourself.

Good trainer, Colin and sandyford BHAF does a great class that I have done myself and my wife does. He wont let you damage yourself.

OP lives in Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Actually Galway Kettlebells is the one I was going to go to - super!

The girl who runs it is dead sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7 fitnessnow

Its all down to the instructor , I have had a serious back injury and knee injury from a few years ago ,so when it was suggested i try kettlebells, like you i was very hesitant ,so i did a little research found a class and started on a really really light weight first ;) and took it from there never had a problem

fitnessnow wrote: »
    Its all down to the instructor , I have had a serious back injury and knee injury from a few years ago ,so when it was suggested i try kettlebells, like you i was very hesitant ,so i did a little research found a class and started on a really really light weight first ;) and took it from there never had a problem

That's really good to know and that yerone is sound (for a second I read it wrong and thought Jjayoo she was dead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7 fitnessnow

That's really good to know and that yerone is sound (for a second I read it wrong and thought Jjayoo she was dead!
    :D Back injury and knee injury was from an accident years ago totally unrelated but using kettlebells and other exercises neither injury bothers me now :D

fitnessnow wrote: »
    :D Back injury and knee injury was from an accident years ago totally unrelated but using kettlebells and other exercises neither injury bothers me now :D

Funny you say that - my fella (not an expert) always says that building the muscle around a given niggly joint will improve it's condition not worsen it so I'm kinda hoping for that too...

• Registered Users Posts: 26 thunderdan

I've been doing kb training for a few months now and love it, builds strength without adding (too much) size. The instructor is crucial though for newbies as learning the technique is required to advance and prevent injury. Definitely try it out op.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭srm23

Just make sure you don't swing it into your town halls.

Advertisement