Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoo meanings

Options
  • 15-08-2013 10:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Just looking around this forum an seen some awesome tattoo ideas/ pictures so now I wanna ask what do they mean to you?

I'll start; I have a little star on my bottom which I just got for the sake of it lol, I have a ginnie joe blowing in the wind with birds flying above it across my upper back which symbolizes freedom, an I have the words 'mar is siorai e an gra' written along my left collar bone which means 'for love is eternal' I got that done for someone very close to me who passed away.

Now your turn!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

None. My tattoos have no meaning whatsoever and never shall

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

My Jungle sleeve is because I'm Tarzan and the Phoenix reminds me of the time I rose from the ashes.

Truth is the sleeve has no meaning in itself although elements of it were chosen by my wife and daughters to represent themselves so it has more meaning to them than it does me really.The main reason for getting it is it's f..king cool and will look incredible when it's finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I got mine because I like the pictures.

The phoenix does kinda represent an illness I came through, but only in an oblique way.

I got mine because I like the pictures.

The phoenix does kinda represent an illness I came through, but only in an oblique way.
    My Phoenix would be the same no great significance to it but a slight reference to things in my past.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

My elbow tatt sort of commemorates what I studied for my degree and why I did it. Everything else on my right arm is loosely based on an individualistic and personal liberty team. My chest tatt I got to celebrate and remember the craic I had at the Heineken Cup finals and it's kinda cool that I can (hopefully) add to it depending on how future finals go. Everything on my left arm is meant to be evil, badass and cool :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

None of mine have meanings.

I got them because I liked the look of them.

You don't have to have a meaning behind every tattoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭paul_booth_fan

I've got Spongebob Squarepants.................nuff said

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

I've got Spongebob Squarepants.................nuff said

awesome.i'm planning on getting parappa the rappa myself.some of mine have some sort of far-fetched meaning and the others are pure aesthetic.i love lego,i love starwars,so i got a lego starwars tattoo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭paul_booth_fan

awesome.i'm planning on getting parappa the rappa myself.some of mine have some sort of far-fetched meaning and the others are pure aesthetic.i love lego,i love starwars,so i got a lego starwars tattoo

I've got Spongbob Squarepants, Patrick Starr, Peter & Stewie & Brian Griffin and the evil monkey, Stan & Kyle & Kenny & Cartman as well. All just because I liked them.
    I loved those lego star wars games

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

My shoulder tattoo has a fair bit of meaning, especially the text in it. The rest are just pretty and I like the look of them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

Mine do have meanings tbh. First was a butterfly, which I got the day I finished the lc, on my friends one year anniversary and my mums birthday, meant to represent fresh starts but the change needed. My wrist has peace hope and tranquility in Japanese and its to represent the **** year I had and I made it through serious illness.
    Fort has four flowers which represent ma family but the artist botched it and they look like Swedish flags 😜

My next one has the most meaning. My carnation on my ribs is for my grandad who passed away a few months ago. My nana passed 25 years before and he brought carnations to her grave every single week, old romantic!! We're carrying on the tradition for him now.

That was a long post.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Only 2 out of 8 of my tattoos really have a meaning. The word Buddy on my foot, because my dog was called buddy so got something to remember her and the word Nanny on my shoulder for my Nanny who passed away.

I don't think I can attach a deep and personal meaning to my Sonic the hedgehog or Pikachu tattoos :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

Live, Laugh, Love on my foot doesn't have a meaning! Just wanted it!

Stars and hearts on same foot also has no meaning!

Life is not to fear life is to enjoy on my other foot is what my nanny used to always say!

Believe on my ribs - I believed I'd loose the weight I wanted to loose, it was my treat to myself when I got skinny again!

I have my name on my hip :o It was my first tattoo and I got it the day I qualified, I just wanted something and it was all I could think of at the time :o

My boob one is cause of a tough five years - I'm the toughest girl I know :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Each of mine represent a person or a phase in my life.
    Don't think I'd get one just because it's "pretty" but each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

All Of mine have meaning to me. And my current in progress piece has too. I also have quiet a few more to go in an overall back piece with wrap around to sides / chest which all have meaning too.

Yes they all have meaning.... Oh wait did I say that already.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

I am Batman.

maximoose wrote: »
    I am Batman.
    Nice to meet you Tarzan here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Three of mine have some kind of meaning.

One is the date of when I quit doing something really dangerous (five years ago next week :D ).

One is the Irish word for 'faith,' which I got after I finished treatment for something bad that happened to me, something I always blamed myself for. It was my way of telling myself to have faith in my decisions and belief in myself. I got it in Irish because I speak Irish just as much as I speak English, and I knew feck all people would understand it, so not too much questioning.

A cherry blossom I got done on my arm doesn't have any particular meaning in itself, I just got it on a date that's very important to me. The date has awful memories, so I decided to make a good memory from it. :)

My lizard on my arm is because, eh, I was bored tbh. Wandered into town and decided on the spur of the moment to get it done.

A quote ('Dream as if you'll live forever'), I just got done because I wanted it, I like the quote. Ironic too, that the guy who said it, died extremely young. :pac:

My next one will have a lot of meaning to me, but I don't care if my tattoos have meaning or not. Sometimes I like to commemorate things with tattoos, sometimes I just feckin' want a tattoo. I'm not going to force meaning into something that has no meaning to me. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Three of mine have obvious meaning. I wanna be a pokemon master :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Rod Serling

I find it crazy when people are still on the "tattoos must have a meaning" kick, get a tattoo of the fresh prince commandeering the millennium falcon for all I care - glad this thread isn't like that. Anyways I've got a half sleeve of random tattoos, some have meaning and some don't.

I tell most people who ask me that they're all meaningless because nothing makes me cringe more than when I hear people explain the super deep meaning behind the swallow or lyrics on their arm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Angron wrote: »
    Three of mine have obvious meaning. I wanna be a pokemon master :pac:

Do you want to be the best?

Mine had the usual kind of meanings when I started and I thought they should all have meaning. But I've moved away from that now. Want to get cool stuff for the sake of cool stuff. I still have attach an abstract kind of meaning to the designs I'm planning but only because it helps me settle on designs.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Orim wrote: »
    Do you want to be the best?

Like no one ever was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Angron wrote: »
    Like no one ever was.

Is catching them your real test? And training them, your cause?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

My first tattoo is a reminder of my Mum, and my next one is a celebration of my godson who recently died a week before his 7th birthday. I have a few ideas for other tattoos that I'll eventually get, which won't have a meaning, but I'm happy with what I have and am planning. I don't explain the meanings unless people ask, and if they do I say it very simply. I don't want to wax on and on about them. But they have to be beautiful as well as meaningful. It is art after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Meanings behind tattoo's out of my five so far two have meanings the others don't one tell's itown story if you look at it closely the other I just tell people I like it mainly because people have a tendency to ask me in the pub and I just couldn't be arsed explaining it and getting all deep.

My biggest one to date which goes from just under my armpit to about two inches below the waistline means absolutely nothing other than I fcuking love movies :).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Both my tattoos have meaning. I got a typewriter with the words 'Look at the stars' on the paper because writing is my passion and I love the quote 'We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars.' I got a teacup on a pile of books because I feel the quote 'You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me' sums me up quite well. I'm not the biggest fan of text tattoos so got a picture to represent it instead. I love the idea of getting a half leg sleeve (maybe even a full one) of tattoos to do with books, TV shows and movies I love but I think that's as 'meaningless' as I'd go. I have absolutely no issue with people getting tattoos for the sake of it and I hate the idea that everything HAS to have a meaning, I just don't feel comfortable myself getting a tattoo that means nothing to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

maximoose wrote: »
    I am Batman.
    dinorebel wrote: »
    Nice to meet you Tarzan here.

Quack quack quack.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Thelostcountry

I have two Tattoos,they mean absolutely nothing! Got one when I was 14 and the other when I was 18. You can just imagine how **** they are!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

My tattoos represent me being an insecure, frightened person - who would like to appear like a badass.

that **** works, too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Zurn

All my tattoos have a meaning. For me... ;)

Advertisement