Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appealing Papers and course acceptance

• 15-08-2013 11:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

Okay again I must turn to the genius that is the people of Boards!

Right lets get down to it. Got my results, not exactly delighted. If the points stay around what they were last year I will get into one of my lower courses. To be honest I don't really want it, and seeing as I was only 10 points off it I was rather peed off.

My question is that if I accept my lower course, get my papers appealed and my results do go up those required 10 points, will I be offered a place, even though I have already been accepted and have probably started with the other college at that stage when the results come out?

Thanks Boardies :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Okay again I must turn to the genius that is the people of Boards!

Right lets get down to it. Got my results, not exactly delighted. If the points stay around what they were last year I will get into one of my lower courses. To be honest I don't really want it, and seeing as I was only 10 points off it I was rather peed off.

My question is that if I accept my lower course, get my papers appealed and my results do go up those required 10 points, will I be offered a place, even though I have already been accepted and have probably started with the other college at that stage when the results come out?

Thanks Boardies :)

Yes you will. :) if it is earlier enough in the year you may switch over then , if not ,next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

I'm not saying you will go up or not but have you considered that you may not get the extra ten points and then you would be doing the lower choice!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

I think that if your grade went up on the recheck you would get offered a place in your higher choice course (if you still wanted it)

However, I believe some courses are quite strict with numbers and may be full at that stage (term started etc).

Then you would be offered your place on that course - but in the following year.

(open to correction in this matter)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭miss_aisling

Yes that is what I was afraid of, the course filling up, well I shall just have to see! :) thanks everyone :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

Very curious about this, if you go up and get offered a place in the higher points course for next year, do you drop out of the lower points course immediately and effectively take a gap year? Or would they scam you for a years fees?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Very curious about this, if you go up and get offered a place in the higher points course for next year, do you drop out of the lower points course immediately and effectively take a gap year? Or would they scam you for a years fees?
    The choice is yours and it's your responsibility to make the decision and notify the proper office if you wish to withdraw, it's not that anyone is scamming you.

If you do first year and then first year again, the government won't pay your fees (for first year) a second time, so that is definitely a consideration to think about very seriously.

It's up to you to withdraw from the first course if you wish to though, you're an adult now and moving into a very big system, it's not like secondary school and no-one will notice that you are still pursuing the first course you were offered and come checking up to be sure that's what you want to do, or if they do notice they will simply presume you have made the decision to continue on.

For that matter, the second offer you receive may be from a totally different college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

The choice is yours and it's your responsibility to make the decision and notify the proper office if you wish to withdraw, it's not that anyone is scamming you.

If you do first year and then first year again, the government won't pay your fees (for first year) a second time, so that is definitely a consideration to think about very seriously.

It's up to you to withdraw from the first course if you wish to though, you're an adult now and moving into a very big system, it's not like secondary school and no-one will notice that you are still pursuing the first course you were offered and come checking up to be sure that's what you want to do, or if they do notice they will simply presume you have made the decision to continue on.

For that matter, the second offer you receive may be from a totally different college.

I was thinking about it more as to whether you are forced to take a gap year (due to SEC error), and be additionally out of pocket regarding registration fees, accomodation etc for the lower course, given that it may be in another place altogether.

Advertisement