Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who to bring to a viewing for estimated removation costs

Options
  • 15-08-2013 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I've viewed a 50s bungalow and would consider making an offer if I knew the renovations needed would be within budget. The BER is F at the moment so I expect a significant chunk of the budget could go into improving the insulation but we would also be needing an extension / renovation.

I'm wondering what is the best practice in this case. Should I bring a reputable builder, building surveyor or architect to my next viewing to get a rough estimate of the costs? Would I expect to be charged a fee for this service? I wouldn't want to spend too much given I might never make an offer on the property if the cost of insulation / renovation is out of budget...

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

fred252 wrote: »
    Should I bring a reputable builder, building surveyor or architect to my next viewing to get a rough estimate of the costs? Would I expect to be charged a fee for this service?

Yes an architect, building surveyor, engineer or quantity surveyor.

And why on earth would you think that anyone would do it for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,130 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Would I expect to be charged a fee for this service?
    Hang on. I'll drive down from Donegal and do my bit for charity :eek:

Chancer ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭fred252

kkelliher wrote: »
    Yes an architect, building surveyor, engineer or quantity surveyor.

And why on earth would you think that anyone would do it for free?

why not a reputable builder? i would be looking for an estimate on a rough design by me as opposed detailed plans from an architect plus there is the question of insulation cost. just trying to get a feel for whether it is in budget or not. i'd rather not spend that much on an architect / surveyor until after i've had a bid accepted.

as to your question i would have thought the possibility of new custom would be incentive enough. this is how things work in other lines of business.

why not a reputable builder? i would be looking for an estimate on a rough design by me as opposed detailed plans from an architect plus there is the question of insulation cost. just trying to get a feel for whether it is in budget or not. i'd rather not spend that much on an architect / surveyor until after i've had a bid accepted.

as to your question i would have thought the possibility of new custom would be incentive enough. this is how things work in other lines of business.

A builder will generally quote for what he sees and what he is asked or directed to price for. Builders do not generally scope up works and f they did I would expect a large variance when it comes to doing the work.

In respect to charging, the very fact someone has come to a property and given you their professional opinion is a service and should be paid for. A professional service should receive a professional fee. Its not like asking someone to come and price for painting a room, of course you wont be charged. You are asking someone to come and survey a house to give you an idea of what type of cost is involved. This is a service in itself.

A builder will generally quote for what he sees and what he is asked or directed to price for. Builders do not generally scope up works and f they did I would expect a large variance when it comes to doing the work.

In respect to charging, the very fact someone has come to a property and given you their professional opinion is a service and should be paid for. A professional service should receive a professional fee. Its not like asking someone to come and price for painting a room, of course you wont be charged. You are asking someone to come and survey a house to give you an idea of what type of cost is involved. This is a service in itself.

and how much could i expect to pay for this service?

• Advertisement

depends on which you go for and they extent of detail but I would expect anything from €350 up to €500 plus VAT.

depends on which you go for and they extent of detail but I would expect anything from €350 up to €500 plus VAT.

sounds like a significant outlay for a pre-bid rough estimate. could get expensive if i need this type of service to be done on a few houses before making any bids.

thanks for the feedback.

update;

i got a walkthrough with a registered architect. he charged €100 + vat and spent 2 hours with us. i was very pleased with the service.

update;

i got a walkthrough with a registered architect. he charged €100 + vat and spent 2 hours with us. i was very pleased with the service.

good to hear, good price

• Registered Users Posts: 1 hemanajam

hi can i have number of ur architect pls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

update;

Would seem a very reasonable price. I can see your logic in not wanting to spend upwards of €500 in a house you may not even end up putting in a bid on. If you were hell bent on the house though I would think it would be best to get a thorough survey done by a good independent surveyor who should be able to answer your questions.

Out of curiosity are you still pursuing the house?

To note there are grants available through SEAI for upgrades such as dry-lining/ cavity wall insulation, boiler and heating system upgrades etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

As a small builder I do this all the time and for free :eek: sometimes folk go ahead with the work sometimes not, that's how it works I would say 98% of the time if I do not get the job I still get called back at some stage for something so we make friends and gain work too.:):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭kilclon

I know you have gotten this done but as 650gs has said, a builder will likely do this for free in anticipation of getting a chance at pricing any necessary work. I do think they should charge something however, and if they don't, it would be no harm to throw them a few quid to cover their expenses/time. With the other professionals mentioned you are paying for a professional service. 100e for a 2hr site visit seems reasonable (slightly on the low side) for a suitably qualified person.

kilclon wrote: »
    I know you have gotten this done but as 650gs has said, a builder will likely do this for free in anticipation of getting a chance at pricing any necessary work. I do think they should charge something however, and if they don't, it would be no harm to throw them a few quid to cover their expenses/time. With the other professionals mentioned you are paying for a professional service. 100e for a 2hr site visit seems reasonable (slightly on the low side) for a suitably qualified person.

+1 the above

A builder will do it for free on the expectation of future work, for a professional the site visit and report is the actual work.

+1 the above

A builder will do it for free on the expectation of future work, for a professional the site visit and report is the actual work.

Im sure most builders are professionals too

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭kilclon

650gs wrote: »

As in they have a professional qualification and accreditation (eg. degree, RIAI membership)

• Subscribers Posts: 41,648 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

depends on how you classify a professional.

i dont want to drag this thread off course but currently in ireland ANYONE can set up a business as a 'builder' with no qualifications or past experience.

Thats true Ill give you that, but the same goes for a lot of businesses these days with the world wide web, home study courses, diplomas, degrees etc being bought on line with colleges that back them up sure even a cheap laptop can sort you out with the paper work so better dealing with someone you know

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Thats true Ill give you that, but the same goes for a lot of businesses these days with the world wide web, home study courses, diplomas, degrees etc being bought on line with colleges that back them up sure even a cheap laptop can sort you out with the paper work so better dealing with someone you know
    Whats has this got to do with advising a client who is about to purchase a house?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,648 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

BryanF wrote: »
    Whats has this got to do with advising a client who is about to purchase a house?

he was replying to my point above, i dragged it off topic so lets now get back on.. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement