Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late night cafes in the city?

Options
  • 15-08-2013 12:18pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭

Anywhere to go for a relaxed non alcoholic drink after 10pm?

Gulpd is one ... but it could get a bit noisy at night.

inb4 somebody mentions Tribes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Web Workhouse (Maylor St.) I think is 24 hours. It can be quite busy, but late at night should be quieter I'd guess. From 6 to 9/10 it's usually full. There's a cafe up on McCurtain St. open late as well, but I'm not certain if it's after 10.

Pity Tribes is gone. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

It's a pity about the Newport too, used to be a good place for friends to park up their motorbikes on the plaza and sit outside in the evenings with a pot of tea

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

It's a pity about the Newport too, used to be a good place for friends to park up their motorbikes on the plaza and sit outside in the evenings with a pot of tea

You can still do that at Le Chateau.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭Fabio

How much is a coffee in there? I got an orange juice in there before and nearly had to take out a loan to pay for it! Maybe its changed.

Cafe Gusto stays open till 10 or 11 Thursday to Saturday.

There needs to be more cafes open late though...and by late I mean till 2am kinda thing if not longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

Is there really a big demand for them though? I would like it as well as I'm fed up with the nightclub scene and the pubs you can't hear yourself think, determine talking to someone without screaming into their ear. But I can't imagine there would be enough people willing to go to a late night cafe, to make it Viable for a business to stay open late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Gulp'd in the Triskel stays open until about 11.30 i think all week.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

who_me wrote: »
    Web Workhouse (Maylor St.) I think is 24 hours. It can be quite busy, but late at night should be quieter I'd guess. From 6 to 9/10 it's usually full. There's a cafe up on McCurtain St. open late as well, but I'm not certain if it's after 10.

Pity Tribes is gone. :(

It's on Winthrop Street not Maylor St. :)

Gamayun wrote: »
    It's on Winthrop Street not Maylor St. :)

Oops. Then again, I've been living in Cork for 23 years and still can't for the life of me remember which is Princes, Marlboro and Cook streets!

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Vivara

Webworkhouse is great (and is definitely 24 hours) because all types of people go in there... it's not just one crowd or whatever.

But Gulp'd... first time I've heard about it. What's the crowd like in there? Good atmosphere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Vivara wrote: »
    Webworkhouse is great (and is definitely 24 hours) because all types of people go in there... it's not just one crowd or whatever.

But Gulp'd... first time I've heard about it. What's the crowd like in there? Good atmosphere?

really nice place. if you just want a quiet coffee, then weekdays would be best. On the weekends it has more of a pub vibe with DJs playing etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Oops. Then again, I've been living in Cork for 23 years and still can't for the life of me remember which is Princes, Marlboro and Cook streets!
    Think of the dairy company CMP. Cook Street is the one with the Ambassador Chinese, then Marlboro Street with Nash and Wildways cafés, then Prince's Street with... The Catwalk. Can't think of anywhere else there!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Think of the dairy company CMP. Cook Street is the one with the Ambassador Chinese, then Marlboro Street with Nash and Wildways cafés, then Prince's Street with... The Catwalk. Can't think of anywhere else there!

Which one has the Rob Roy again? On Saturday mornings in rugby season I invariably make it to both of the wrong streets before I get there. I swear the streets move.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Nash 19 and Wildways are on Princes Street. It's also got Rossini's, Cort Art Supplies, Ann Summers, Fat Face, Oasis and an entrance to the English Market.

Marlboro Street has Nosta, O' Flynns butchers and several others.

Cook Street has the Ambassador, Il Padrino, Les Gourmandises, and the Rob Roy.

TBH, I find it a bit annoying that so few are open after 6, never mind after 10. You'd often see (tourist) families wandering around in the evenings, and the town is closed down. Your evening options in the city are: meal (restaurant) or drink (pub).

I know that we tend to come home from work and eat/collapse on sofa/watch tv for a few hours, but you'd think there would be enough of a market for a handful of cafes to stay open after 6 when the rest close.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

TBH, I find it a bit annoying that so few are open after 6, never mind after 10. You'd often see (tourist) families wandering around in the evenings, and the town is closed down. Your evening options in the city are: meal (restaurant) or drink (pub).

I know that we tend to come home from work and eat/collapse on sofa/watch tv for a few hours, but you'd think there would be enough of a market for a handful of cafes to stay open after 6 when the rest close.
    I've seen those tourists just wandering, it does kind of shut down at six. If we were abroad we'd be expecting everything open late.

The new cafe in the Kino stays open until after 8 actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Faith wrote: »
    Nash 19 and Wildways are on Princes Street. It's also got Rossini's, Cort Art Supplies, Ann Summers, Fat Face, Oasis and an entrance to the English Market.

Marlboro Street has Nosta, O' Flynns butchers and several others.

Cook Street has the Ambassador, Il Padrino, Les Gourmandises, and the Rob Roy.
    D'oh, I messed that up totally! In my 30s and living in Cork nearly all my life... :o

So Who_me, Cook, Marlboro, Prince's - from the Patrick Street/Oliver Plunkett Street perspective.

D'oh, I messed that up totally! In my 30s and living in Cork nearly all my life... :o

So Who_me, Cook, Marlboro, Prince's - from the Patrick Street/Oliver Plunkett Street perspective.

Final answer? Don't make me go down there and double-check the streets! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

What's even more confusing is if you include crane lane Pembroke street and Morgan street you get
    Crane Lane
    Pembroke street
    Morgan street
    Cook Street
    Marlboro Street
    Princes Street
    Or CPMCMP as I remember it, Grafton street and Beasley street ruin it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

calnand wrote: »
    What's even more confusing is if you include crane lane Pembroke street and Morgan street you get
    Crane Lane
    Pembroke street
    Morgan street
    Cook Street
    Marlboro Street
    Princes Street
    Or CPMCMP as I remember it, Grafton street and Beasley street ruin it though.

Plsu Robert Street and Elbow Lane.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Encrustment

Went to Cafe Spresso on McCurtain street today - they stay open til midnight. Pity it has a dodgy cheap bus station vibe off it though. Wouldn't really be a place to bring a byeoir after a movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Vivara

Went to Cafe Spresso on McCurtain street today - they stay open til midnight. Pity it has a dodgy cheap bus station vibe off it though. Wouldn't really be a place to bring a byeoir after a movie.

I got excited there for a second until I remembered that I know this dive of a place... horrible sign, and you're right... it's like a bus station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Eco cafe/Webworkhouse is pretty good. Nice desserts, too. Their hot chocolates are particularly delicious.

Advertisement