Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferry to France over Christmas holidays?

Options
  • 15-08-2013 12:19pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭

Hi,

Considering going to France over the Christmas holidays but am I right in saying that none of the ferry companies offer a return feet until well into January?

On my iPhone as in France at the moment so maybe I'm doing something wrong when I'm searching the dates.

Just hoping to go to Normandy and perhaps Disneyland with the children.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭T650

Celtic Link

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭T650

Oooops - they don't sail between 21 December and Jan 14th. You'll have to go Landbridge via UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

T650 wrote: »
    Oooops - they don't sail between 21 December and Jan 14th. You'll have to go Landbridge via UK.
    Or take a longer holiday

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MammaZita

Thank you for your responses. Unfortunately my eldest is in school so unfortunately we need to be back first week in January.
    Might look at going to the UK instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

MammaZita wrote: »
    Thank you for your responses. Unfortunately my eldest is in school so unfortunately we need to be back first week in January.
    Might look at going to the UK instead.
    if you are coming back via Disneyland anyhow then the landbridge (irish sea and channel crossings booked on a single ticket) might work out seeing as Disneyland is nearer Calais than Cherbourg anyhow.

Costwise its 200euro approx for 2adults and 2 school age kids for landbridge in the week after christmas.
    You'd have a few euro of extra petrol cost to get across Britain but then save on tolls to get from Disneyland to Cherbourg so much of a muchness and probably cheaper overall than the direct ferry anyhow.
    (EDIT: if youre in a motorhome then prices a little bit more then than a car! )
    Heres the price chart:
    http://www.irishferries.com/Global/Offers/PO_routes_2013.pdf
    Channel tunnel is also available but its always dearer and sometimes much dearer.

I'll be doing it like that at christmas only in the other direction, i.e. Cherbourg to Rosslare before Christmas and Dublin-Hollyhead + Dover-Calais afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I'm fairly sure they did run last christmas though with only a couple of days break around christmas day.
    They absolutely hiked their prices like crazy though to take advantage of the Irish Ferries 2 month break in service on the France route so maybe the uptake was so poor than itsnt worth doing it this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

I bet you Celtic Link will be sailing 1st thing in January as they always do. They probably haven't published their Xmas schedule yet - I would give them a call.

V

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

if you are coming back via Disneyland anyhow then the landbridge (irish sea and channel crossings booked on a single ticket) might work out seeing as Disneyland is nearer Calais than Cherbourg anyhow.

Costwise its 200euro approx for 2adults and 2 school age kids for landbridge in the week after christmas.
    You'd have a few euro of extra petrol cost to get across Britain but then save on tolls to get from Disneyland to Cherbourg so much of a muchness and probably cheaper overall than the direct ferry anyhow.
    (EDIT: if youre in a motorhome then prices a little bit more then than a car! )
    Heres the price chart:
    http://www.irishferries.com/Global/Offers/PO_routes_2013.pdf
    Channel tunnel is also available but its always dearer and sometimes much dearer.

I'll be doing it like that at christmas only in the other direction, i.e. Cherbourg to Rosslare before Christmas and Dublin-Hollyhead + Dover-Calais afterwards.
    done this route this year was and nearly 100% sure it was under €40

Advertisement