Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difference between Higher level maths 2013 and 2014

• 15-08-2013 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    So I am repeating an will be doing honours maths again. I am just wondering what is the difference in the two courses, 2013 and 2014? I realise that 2014 is completely project maths, does this mean that there is no differentiation or integration? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Hi,
    So I am repeating an will be doing honours maths again. I am just wondering what is the difference in the two courses, 2013 and 2014? I realise that 2014 is completely project maths, does this mean that there is no differentiation or integration? :)

There is still calculus but it's Project Maths Paper calculus. Strand 5 (Functions and Calculus) is bring introduced and there are changes here for you; for example first principles is hugely reduced, implicit differentiation is gone, there's more theory to functions, etc. You need to make sure you're using a 2014 book and syllabus, forget about what's different and just make sure you have studied the material outlined in the syllabus.

My phone isn't cooperating when I'm trying to post links, but on this page under the syllabus book on the right hand side (LC for 2014) there are two pdfs which should help.

http://www.ncca.ie/en/Curriculum_and_Assessment/Post-Primary_Education/Project_Maths/Syllabuses_and_Assessment/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

There is still calculus but it's Project Maths Paper calculus. Strand 5 (Functions and Calculus) is bring introduced and there are changes here for you; for example first principles is hugely reduced, implicit differentiation is gone, there's more theory to functions, etc. You need to make sure you're using a 2014 book and syllabus, forget about what's different and just make sure you have studied the material outlined in the syllabus.

My phone isn't cooperating when I'm trying to post links, but on this page under the syllabus book on the right hand side (LC for 2014) there are two pdfs which should help.

http://www.ncca.ie/en/Curriculum_and_Assessment/Post-Primary_Education/Project_Maths/Syllabuses_and_Assessment/index.html
    Thank you! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

Assuming you've already got 2013 books of some sort, I'd recommend buying Text & Tests 7 which is (afaik) the only book out there that covers only the new Strand 5 material for 2014 onwards, and that's the only strand that's different between 2013 and 2014 :) Good luck!

Advertisement