Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Monday and the UCD Bar?

Options
  • 15-08-2013 12:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15

Any idea what the story with it this year?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Situation as last I heard it:

Student Club: Not able to function normally, but able to open as a venue on an occasional license. SU may choose to run an event in it, but last I heard it was very expensive to do so, with no profit to be made (Bar is run by an independent company, who keep the take, insurance costs and such must be met by union from a door charge.

Clubhouse (Student Centre Bar): Supposedly opening this month, haven't heard anything new in a while. Last time I took a gander in the windows (few weeks ago) it was practically complete, and it has hosted a number of private functions over the summer. I'd put decent money on it being open by the the start of the first semester, and I'd bet the farm it'll be open this side of christmas. Su was also posting job ads for it, which bodes well too.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

Clubhouse is opening on Sunday. A friend of mine is going to be working there and told me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Clubhouse will be open, seems to be run by the student centre and not the old bar committee set up (probably a good thing) but not 100% sure.

Looks like a pretty decent set up.

As far as I know the old bar will be where you pick up student cards this year!

Clubhouse is opening on Sunday. A friend of mine is going to be working there and told me.

Well I guess I know where I'm going after work on monday...

You might see me there :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Marcus Antonius

Typical the Bar reopens just in time for my heading back to study in UCD, good timing or what?

So, can anyone confirm that today openingness?

My friend who will be working there says that they're definitely working on Tuesday... so it either opened today, or will tomorrow, or Tuesday.

Its definitely open tomorrow, so its either today or tomorrow! :p

Pints!!!£!!!!

• Advertisement

I don't know how that pound sign got there, but sure since pints are an Imperial unit... why not leave it there sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭The green and red

I don't know how that pound sign got there, but sure since pints are an Imperial unit... why not leave it there sure...

On the subject of puond signs, are the prices very reasonable in the student bar?

On the subject of puond signs, are the prices very reasonable in the student bar?

They used to do 3 euro pints specials on Monday & Friday I think it was, not sure what they'll be doing this time around though. There tends to always be some sort of promo going on, depends on your poision ;)

They used to do 3 euro pints specials on Monday & Friday I think it was, not sure what they'll be doing this time around though. There tends to always be some sort of promo going on, depends on your poision ;)

Thanks that sounds ideal, any drinking I've done in Dublin bars before has left me out of pocket big time!

Thanks that sounds ideal, any drinking I've done in Dublin bars before has left me out of pocket big time!

Sure beats paying a fiver and change for a pint in most places in town!

The Guinness isn't bad anyway, I can vouch for it!

I wouldn't be a Guinness drinker, more of a lager man myself

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ACBBFG

was down there earlier, €5.20 for a pint of Heineken

That's steep. The Guinness was €4.20. I heard Beamish is €3.50, but didn't confirm it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Never understood why the SU bar was so expensive, go anywhere else in the world and student bars are dirt cheap. They've a huge market of people and don't need to make a profit, just breakeven.

• Advertisement

Well, given that the previous student bar was losing money, and wasn't that cheap, it may not be that simple. On top of that, if the bar is run by an organisation other than the SU, they may not want to settle for breaking even.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Any chance of selling cans?? And 5.20 for a pint is steep.

5.20 is lunacy for a student bar. You'd be paying that for a pricey enough bar in Dublin city centre. 4.20 for a Guinness isn't bad though, think it'll be Beamish for the the win though if they're 3.50. Anyone who was in it see if they'd any promotions up? Like a 3 euro Monday dealio?

This is troubling for a poor first year, I don't normally drink Beamish but if the price is right....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I don't see why the bar has to rip students off for €5.20 a pint. IT should be able to charge reasonbable prices and still be profitable.. if good management is involved this time, considering both the location ( doesn't have to compete as much compared to other colleges) as well as a huge college population to boot, then I don't see why this shouldn't be possible. As a matter of interest, because it is on University property can someone verify that rents shouldn't be too high and would be sustainable, rather than Celtic Tiger craziness? If so, this would be another advantage.

I'll reserve judgement until it opens fully, but if that's the way it is, disappointed.

Things I would like to see... on the food side of things, it would be nice to see a mix of nice food as well as nibbles, such as chicken wings etc. at a good price.

Enterainment, pinball machines, pool tables, air hockey and the like.

Themed nights on offer.
    Jukebox.
    Selection of drinks, and cocktails.
    An actual and properly organized Halloween events and Ball in October, that offers something different from the drabiness and lack of creatvity that the majority of establishments offer in Dublin. This is an aside, but if done well can be a nice extra source of revenue, and actually make the bar stand out and be attractive for a night out, rather than a launching pad possibly.

I often have compared the Pav bar when talking about the old Ucd Student bar, with the Pav always being much better, and is imo a good model to follow, it does very well, and often has a great atmosphere and the UCD student bar should be aiming to be even better than it and be as innovative as possible. While I welcome new management, and hope this time we will see a competently run bar, it will be nice to see them also listening to students imput and concers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I got a pint of Heineken in the Student bar last night for 3:50.

errlloyd wrote: »
    I got a pint of Heineken in the Student bar last night for 3:50.

Where did 5.20 come from then? Was it a promo?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭kilrush

https://www.facebook.com/UcdStudentCentreBar/posts/394204294014453?comment_id=2063200&notif_t=like

according to this facebook page its 4.30 for a pint of heineken , 3.50 for fosters and 4.20 for guinness but as far as i can see its probably not run by the people running the bar !!

Oh god, that page is rearing it's ugly head again. Chrissake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 reno123

https://www.facebook.com/ucdclubhousebar

That's the official page. Just launched!

Advertisement