Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Monday and the UCD Bar?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Anyone know whats on tap? Apart from Heineken and Guinness that is.

Edit: And will there be spirits?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

To second question, yeah there will be spirits.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

I saw... Fosters, Heineken, Guinness, Beamish, Carlsberg, Bulmers, Smithwicks... one German one that name I forgot, and Coors (maybe). Heineken is €4.30, Guinness is €4.20.

And a rake of spirits.

I saw... Fosters, Heineken, Guinness, Beamish, Carlsberg, Bulmers, Smithwicks... one German one that name I forgot, and Coors (maybe). Heineken is €4.30, Guinness is €4.20.

And a rake of spirits.

Yey! Smithwicks. I'll probably be the only person drinking the stuff. Thankfully I don't have many early starts this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Was in here yesterday. Grand spot.

Carvery lunches for €7 a go! Should have called it The Culchie House.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

was talking to the manager the other day, he is now planning on getting irish some craft beer in bottles and possibly draught. forgot to mention cans to him. cans seem to work reasonably well in dcu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Cans has come up before, and been shot down. Was felt that it would contribute to people drinking about campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Raphael wrote: »
    Cans has come up before, and been shot down. Was felt that it would contribute to people drinking about campus.

Make students well aware that cans aren't permitted outside a certain zone (bar smoking area if such exists?) and I'd imagine that would be the problem solved? If they had cans (like it seems most student bars do) then we might actually have a bar on campus with some atmosphere in it.

ive no idea why those things would be equated! Same reasons you dont see people walking around campus with pint glasses

RMD wrote: »
    Make students well aware that cans aren't permitted outside a certain zone (bar smoking area if such exists?) and I'd imagine that would be the problem solved? If they had cans (like it seems most student bars do) then we might actually have a bar on campus with some atmosphere in it.

It hasn't worked with the smoking outside of Newman so I don't see it working with the cans. They probably don't want to have the campus littered with empties. Less likely to happen with glasses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Maldesu wrote: »
    Yey! Smithwicks. I'll probably be the only person drinking the stuff. Thankfully I don't have many early starts this year.

If they run out of Guinness I might join you

tgdaly wrote: »
    If they run out of Guinness I might join you

If they run out of Guinness in Dublin they should be dragged out to the lake and dunked... repeatedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭tgdaly

If they run out of Guinness in Dublin they should be dragged out to the lake and dunked... repeatedly.

Believe it or not, this actually happened to me in in the Galway Hooker, you know the pub in Heuston Station.... ACROSS THE ROAD FROM THE GUINNESS FACTORY!! Pure madness

tgdaly wrote: »
    Believe it or not, this actually happened to me in in the Galway Hooker, you know the pub in Heuston Station.... ACROSS THE ROAD FROM THE GUINNESS FACTORY!! Pure madness

Tis a disgrace but it was really an evil marketing ploy on the part of the Galway Hooker Brewery to promote their own!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

It hasn't worked with the smoking outside of Newman so I don't see it working with the cans. They probably don't want to have the campus littered with empties. Less likely to happen with glasses.

I sincerely doubt it's anything to do with litter, I'd imagine it's to do with the absolute mayhem it would cause any time there's any sort of event on campus.

Fad wrote: »
    I sincerely doubt it's anything to do with litter, I'd imagine it's to do with the absolute mayhem it would cause any time there's any sort of event on campus.

There's that too

what mayhem could it cause?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭teotihuacan

I don't see why the bar has to rip students off. It should be able to charge reasonable prices and still be profitable.. if good management is involved this time, considering both the location ( doesn't have to compete as much compared to other colleges) as well as a huge college population to boot, then I don't see why this shouldn't be possible.

You can sing that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I'd be somewhat against drinking across the campus. Maybe within a radius of the bar itself but I don't think a campus wide pub is the best image. I've nothing against drink myself I'd just prefer not to have to wade through clumps of students drinking in the green areas. Overall I think it would just lower the tone of an other wise pretty pleasant place to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

You can sing that

Okey dokey.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

RMD wrote: »

How come it works in Trinity without a problem?

If they don't buy their cans in the pav, plenty of that crowd buy their booze over on Westland Row and have their cans in peace on college green.

AND they're in a city centre location. They seem to keep the undesirable aspect out of it with minimum fuss.

Time to start treating UCD students like adults, and stop worrying they'll go mad if they're let graduate to cans. Cheaper, recyclable, what's the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

The difference is in Trinity it's (afaik) not a violation of the colleges rules. So What you're asking isn't for the bar to start selling cans, it's the university to start allowing drinking publicly. Which is a hugely different thingl.

The difference is in Trinity it's (afaik) not a violation of the colleges rules. So What you're asking isn't for the bar to start selling cans, it's the university to start allowing drinking publicly. Which is a hugely different thingl.

not your not?!!! drink cans on premises!

Advertisement