Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire Service - Emergency First Responder course

Options
  • 15-08-2013 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I want to join the Fire Service whenever it opens up again.

I was advised to do a first responder course in order to increase my chances. Was this good advice?

How beneficial would it be and which one would you recommend? Are any of them Fetac? I might be able to get part of the fees covered by Social Welfare if they are.

What else would be a beneficial course/activity to do in order to get in to the Fire Service? Volunteering perhaps?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭TheAlkaline

What is a first respond training? Is that like the first aid?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Emergency First Response (EFR) is the third level of First Aid knowledge as set out by the Pre Hospital Emergency Care Council (PHECC and yes they are know as "feck") and the highest level you can go as a responder, the next tier up is a practitioner level, Emergency Medical Technician.
    If you want a job in any Emergency service, this is pretty much a must have, however depending on which occupation yu apply for it may not be necessary to have it before applying. (But it does look good on the application)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭pauld81

Hope this helps ya:
    - Emergency First Responder, get funding from FAS and Social Welfare even if ya are working some funding available.
    - C (ridge lorry) driving licence, funding available as above.
    - Volunteer with a Civil Defense who have an Auxiliary Fire Service, or any of the voluntary emergency services.
    - Practice psychometric exams, working off a ladder at height and maneuvering yourself in limited vision & confined space. Also be fit for the medical & fitness test (step test with heart rate monitor)
    - The fire services are run by each county individualy, if you are applying for retained (on call) you will have to show genuine intent to live in the town you applied for, they won't want to spend on your training then you just leave!
    - Visit your local fire station, maybe bring the kids for a visit and chat to the lads, and bring a cake always nice!

Advertisement