Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wish to study in the states or canada/

• 15-08-2013 1:00pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

OK as you all know I got 135 points in my LC and wish to repeat but I thought what if I study in the US Or Canada in one of their colleges?

How would that work? BTW I got an E in both Math's and English. I wish to study computer science.

Any help please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

I think that repeat students have dodgy enough chances of getting into US colleges. Particularly if Maths is not your strong suit and you want to do CS. Then there's the part where you do a general undergrad, then a graduate degree in a lot of areas of study, which adds up to 7 years. (Might not be the case for CS.) Then there's the fees, and they are killer. I'm talking tens of thousands of euro killer.

Your best bet is to talk to a career guidance counsellor if you're serious about it. I'd think it through and make sure it's what you want, though. It's not really a way around getting the grades here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

Well firstly, you'll have to talk to a guidance counsellor and discuss your options thoroughly. College in the US is very expensive and a lot of the time, students are in huge debt coming out of college. You'll also have to do the SATs which is pretty much the US 'Leaving Cert' in a sense. I'm guessing Canada is similar enough although I haven't looked into going to college there before.

Advertisement