If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommendation for CD player

Options
  • 15-08-2013 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi
    I have Denon AVR1911 and I'm considering a cd player. What would you recommend please.
    my only requirement would be FLAC files.

Thank you

lalipule

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Lalipule.

Thanks for the post.

Unfortunately there are very few CD players that will do FLAC as it's mostly left to the streamers to handle file formats like that.

I can see if I can get you a price on a Yamaha product that we don't currently stock, but I can get.

It's called a Yamaha CDN500.

http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/audio-visual/hifi-components/cd-players/cd-n500_w/?mode=model

I can get a price for this if this is of interest. I suspect it's likely to be around £449 - £500.

Let me know if this is inside or outside the budget.

ATB

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭lalipule

Hi Dave

thank you for replying and the suggestion. I had a look at your website and I saw that you offer Denon DNP-720AE. I read a bit about and it seems that it does support FLAC. Can you confirm it? To be honest I would like to stick to Denon, it looks nicer on the shelve ;)
    If Denon does suport FLAC would Yamaha you suggested be superior to Denon?

lalipule

Hi Lalipule

Thanks for the reply.

The Denon DNP720 is only a streamer and not a CD player so I didn't recommend that as I thought that you needed the CD playback as well.

The DNP720 is a very versatile unit and well worth the money, but if you are considering this, I would ask a question.

If you can connect your receiver to your network, then would you not consider upgrading your receiver ?

The new Denon AVRX1000 and 2000 models have Flac playback directly through the receiver without the need for another piece.

The AVRX1000 is priced at 379.99 Euro with delivery at 15.99 Euro - You could sell your 1911 and possibly not have to shell out any more than the 1000. You would have a new receiver, better sound, new features and not have an extra box.....just a thought.

http://www.denon.co.uk/uk/product/pages/Product-Detail.aspx?CatId=hometheatre&SubId=avreceivers&ProductId=AVRX1000

Hope this helps but let me know your thoughts.

ATB

Dave

Hi Lalipule

Thanks for the reply.

The Denon DNP720 is only a streamer and not a CD player so I didn't recommend that as I thought that you needed the CD playback as well.

The DNP720 is a very versatile unit and well worth the money, but if you are considering this, I would ask a question.

If you can connect your receiver to your network, then would you not consider upgrading your receiver ?

The new Denon AVRX1000 and 2000 models have Flac playback directly through the receiver without the need for another piece.

The AVRX1000 is priced at 379.99 Euro with delivery at 15.99 Euro - You could sell your 1911 and possibly not have to shell out any more than the 1000. You would have a new receiver, better sound, new features and not have an extra box.....just a thought.

http://www.denon.co.uk/uk/product/pages/Product-Detail.aspx?CatId=hometheatre&SubId=avreceivers&ProductId=AVRX1000

Hope this helps but let me know your thoughts.

ATB

Dave
    Dave

would you please be so kind and explain the difference between the streamer and CD player.

Thank you

Additionally I think I was not specific enough, FLAC files would be stored on USB and since Denon has USB port that would do the job, then cds would be played as usuall. Please correct me if my reasoning is not right.

• Advertisement

Hi Lalipule.

The streamer as we call it (or DNP720) is only designed for playing digitally stored files.

It does not have a CD drive in the unit so therefore cannot play CD's.

If you have a requirement for both CD playback and FLAC files then the Yamaha is the one to look at or if you are looking to just play FLAC then the DNP720 or preferrably chaging the receiver would be the best option.

I hope this makes sense.

ATB

Dave

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.