Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a used caravan, source in UK or Ireland

Options
  • 15-08-2013 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

We're considering buying our first caravan and having gone to view a few in the last couple of weeks, I'm now seriously considering going across the water for one. Most have been rough to say the least. Even with the ferry and fuel costs I think I can get a better deal in the UK. Does anyone else have any experience buying here vs UK?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 SHIFTER

Chiorino wrote: »
    We're considering buying our first caravan and having gone to view a few in the last couple of weeks, I'm now seriously considering going across the water for one. Most have been rough to say the least. Even with the ferry and fuel costs I think I can get a better deal in the UK. Does anyone else have any experience buying here vs UK?
    http://www.tricamcaravans.com/index.asp have you tried here they have up to 100 used and new caravans

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Motor-Ed

SHIFTER wrote: »
    http://www.tricamcaravans.com/index.asp have you tried here they have up to 100 used and new caravans

I would be worried about the whole stolen and sold on scenario.
    Do you know how to check the identity marks on the caravan to see if its legit?
    Is there a service like carcheck you can do on them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Motor-Ed wrote: »
    I would be worried about the whole stolen and sold on scenario.
    Do you know how to check the identity marks on the caravan to see if its legit?
    Is there a service like carcheck you can do on them?

It says at the bottom of the page:
    "CRIS DOCUMENTS WITH ALL CARVANS
    A FULL REGISTRATION DOCUMENT"

http://www.cris.co.uk/Home/Consumer

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Motor-Ed

paddyp wrote: »
    It says at the bottom of the page:
    "CRIS DOCUMENTS WITH ALL CARVANS
    A FULL REGISTRATION DOCUMENT"

http://www.cris.co.uk/Home/Consumer

Sorry attached the wrong quote
    Was answering OP

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

Motor-Ed wrote: »
    Sorry attached the wrong quote
    Was answering OP

Given the CRIS system in the UK, am I not less likely to buy something stolen than here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭newwifey

Hi there
    I have been following the caravans on ebay for the last 3 years and saving hard!
    We are now in the position to buy but haven't found the right one yet. Im looking for a triple bunk and as they are only 2008+ models there are limited models available.
    Without a doubt we will be travelling to the UK. Now is the time to be looking with the view to buy. Holidays are almost over and anyone who is getting out of caravaning will get rid now. Also the dealers will be anxious to shed stock before the winter. We are hoping to buy a van with all accessories included such as an awning etc. We visited tricam and a few other dealers in the north but the prices were crazy. Even factoring in the ferry and petrol cost, like for like from a dealer in the UK are cheaper.
    We have never owned a caravan before so are virgins and wouldn't know much but we intend to employ the services of a independent mobile technician to give the caravan a once over before we travel. Its money well spent considering how inclined you will be to part with your cash after travelling all the way to see a particular caravan.
    Best of luck! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Bananas money for those triple bunks limited availability and selection of layouts and too many windows to get damaged for my liking have you thought about getting a double bunk converted to a triple bunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭db

newwifey wrote: »
    Hi there
    I have been following the caravans on ebay for the last 3 years and saving hard!
    We are now in the position to buy but haven't found the right one yet. Im looking for a triple bunk and as they are only 2008+ models there are limited models available.
    Without a doubt we will be travelling to the UK. Now is the time to be looking with the view to buy. Holidays are almost over and anyone who is getting out of caravaning will get rid now. Also the dealers will be anxious to shed stock before the winter. We are hoping to buy a van with all accessories included such as an awning etc. We visited tricam and a few other dealers in the north but the prices were crazy. Even factoring in the ferry and petrol cost, like for like from a dealer in the UK are cheaper.
    We have never owned a caravan before so are virgins and wouldn't know much but we intend to employ the services of a independent mobile technician to give the caravan a once over before we travel. Its money well spent considering how inclined you will be to part with your cash after travelling all the way to see a particular caravan.
    Best of luck! :)

Did you look at this one. It's a 2009 van but the caravelair range were much cheaper new than other models so you should be able to get it at a good price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭db

Chiorino wrote: »
    Given the CRIS system in the UK, am I not less likely to buy something stolen than here.

All caravans sold in Ireland for a number of years should also be registered with CRIS. I got mine in 2008 and CRIS was well established at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

We were in a similar position two years back, and having traveled the country, seen some terrible caravans at well over price we decided to go over to Wales, bought a very nice caravan from A and B Caravans, aandbcaravans.co.uk did the deal, they got everything done overnight whilst we stayed in a B&B and we brought it home in the morning, great deal on the van and great service from the dealership, i would definitely recommend going to the UK, even with all the travel costs we still saved lots and got a MUCH better caravan.
    It depends what your looking for, we wanted a nice clean van that we could use and keep for a good few years. A and B had some of the best we saw whilst over there.
    No connection...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

We bought one in the UK last February 12 months. From these guys http://rockcaravans.com/
    There is a good search site that filters by design type [do a search on here for fixed double, or under my name, and that thread should appear together with the link to the site I mentioned].

Could recommend buying in the UK, though for v. cheap entry level stuff you'd probably do as well at home (factoring in ferry cost). I bought and sold first one privately on Donedeal and no problems - just do that CRIS check.

For the UK I got a guy from Institute of Engineers (I think it was) - hard enough to get a guy to do it, they are more car guys. Worth the money as saves an expensive wasted trip. If buying near Birmingham then pm me and I'll try to dig out the guys name.

Definitely make a mini-break out of it while you're going at all.

Advertisement