Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice/opinions needed - I want to dye my hair from dark brown to platinum blonde.

• 15-08-2013 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

I have really thick, long dark hair. I have dark brown eyes but I have a medium-pale skin tone. I saw a photo of Candicd Swanepole from VS and thought her hair was fab.

I have never coloured my hair and have no idea where to start. I fully intend visiting a good salon to do the job but I don't know what to expect.

Can anyone guide me in the right direction please.

Things like the name of the treatment, any pre-bleaching required, can it be stripped back to my original color if I hate it. How much can I expect it to be and how often roots are required and the cost of roots.

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

Dark brown to platinum blonde is a big jump! Especially if you want an all over blonde look or even highlights! Either way its going to be very damaging as it will have to be bleached. If your hair is in good condition it wont be as damaging but still pretty damaging.

Instead of going all over blonde, I'd recommend getting highlights, and gradually building them up. Also you'll be getting your roots done nearly every 4-6 weeks! As the dark brown will be super noticeable against the bleach blonde hair! Talk to your hairdresser and see what she says, and if she thinks it will suit you and your skin tone. Hopefully it works out for you, just keep using lots of conditioner and hair masks to keep your hair healthy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

can it be stripped back to my original color if I hate it.

No, not if you're going platinum blonde. You'll have all the colour bleached out of your hair, your original colour won't be there to strip back to. You might be able to dye your hair back to your original colour but you'd have to talk to the hairdresser about that to see if it was possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭mashedbanana

Well you can do what a lot of people do, sit at home all weekend, gradually lightening you hair. Using a hair stripper, might need a few boxes of it, as your hair is long & thick. Then follow with a few boxes of your required blonde colour. but you will need someone on hand, to run to the chemist to get extra boxes if needed, and for general help. Or.

Book into a really good hair stylists walk in long dark hair (even if it's box dyed) walk out blonde Maybe €150 lighter, but done professionally and well conditioned. Well worth it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

Ok thanks for the advice guys - so am I correct in thinking that if I want my old colour back, I literally have to wait for it to grown all the way back out as the bleaching kills the colour yah?

Probably a stupid question but any alternatives to bleaching?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭mashedbanana

you could try 'colour B4' you can get that in the chemist too. it basically takes out all 'false' hair colour. My understanding is that it seems to work on freshly coloured hair. But some have had great success with it, after colouring their hair ages ago. If it does work, it wil only bring your hair back to it's natural colour.

if you want to get there fast....book into the likes of Marcs.
    If you want to go gradual, then get some low & high lights put in, after several sessions, your hair will look a lot lighter, then do the transition to full head of blonde. Either way, your looking at a professional doing this :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

As far as I know colour b4 is mostly used on dyed darkened hair to get it back to original colour. I'm not sure if it works to well on lightened hair or bleached hair! You'd be better off dying it back to your natural hair colour (putting a dark dye over blonde hair) and growing out the bleach underneath! So the dyed hair will blend into your natural hair colour when it's growing, so you won't have any visible roots!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

Just bumping this to see if the OP has an update! Hope nobody minds :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I would not recommend dying your hair platinum blonde. It ruins your hair and if your hair is naturally dark the roots look ridiculous! My hair is naturally blonde and I dyed it platinum last year (using bleach and toner) and it seriously damaged it. Took ages to get into good condition again!

Very few hairdressers will recommend dying hair platinum blonde, unless it's really short.

That's just my experience of it though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

mauzo! wrote: »
    Just bumping this to see if the OP has an update! Hope nobody minds :)

OP here :) Didn't go through with it in the end. My hair was quite short at the time I asked the question and I thought it might look cool...but the two hairdressers I spoke to advised me against it.

They basically said that I would permanently damage my hair and that the maintenance of the colour/roots would be very expensive to keep. That plus the fact that it was going to take hours and numerous goes at bleaching it in order to dye all the brown was a big turn off.

They also said that if for any reason I didn't like how it looked after that I would need to dye it back brown and keep growing and cutting it for well over a year in order to get any kind of healthy looking hair back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

Thanks for the update :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement