Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BSC IN APPLIED HEALTH CARE WIT

Options
  • 15-08-2013 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

anyone know anything about this new course? would it be a waste of time? can you progress further to the likes of nursing? what would you be qualified to do? thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Jonathanod

Hey I have applied for the above course and have emailed the lady over the course to get some information.

Its is similar to nursing in that you would may be involved in the direct nursing care of patients in the hospital or care setting but you would not be registered nurse at the end of the course. They have agreed links with the Columbus Technical College in Georgia in the USA where you can pursue further study to become a US registered Nurse.

I reckon personally, that because this is a new course, over the three years I'm sure they will work on new links for entry into nursing courses elsewhere.

I think this is an exciting new course and I hope I find out soon because the waiting is killing me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4 blahblu

tanx for the reply :)

Sounds like a round about way of becoming a care assistant.? I'm sure there's more to it, anymore info you have on it would be great to know. Good luck!! Sure you'll get a place :)

I don't really have more information on this.

I wouldn't think it's a third level health care assistant course, but, I can totally get why you would think that.

The reason I dot agree is just purely by looking at the modules we would be studying.

The predicament I am in is I have applied to a course in Carlow through cao which I will find out on Monday. The cao only gives you a week to accept a place but I would prefer the health care course in wit as I'm living in Waterford so it's handy and something I'm very interesting.

But the application closing date is 30th of August which leaves me no time to plan or decide anything if I'm offered a place. I'm just so confused as what to do :(

thanks anyway.. I've looked at modules properly and agree just don't really get what you would be qualified to do, although it does look interesting.

sorry don't really now much about all that stuff maybe you could contact someone to see what your chances are since its not going through CAO might be possible, if you don't have much interest in the other course I wouldn't do it but thats my opinion. Hope all works out :)

blahblu wrote: »
    thanks anyway.. I've looked at modules properly and agree just don't really get what you would be qualified to do, although it does look interesting.

sorry don't really now much about all that stuff maybe you could contact someone to see what your chances are since its not going through CAO might be possible, if you don't have much interest in the other course I wouldn't do it but thats my opinion. Hope all works out :)

Yeah that's true, I am going to go to the CAO drop in clinic on Monday and go through me options, hopefully they can give me more of an idea of the likelihood of being offered a place.

And if I get anymore news or info on the course ill log in Monday evening and fill you in! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 kieraflynn2

I am planning on studying Nursing as a mature student. I currently have a BSc in Applied Biosciences. As a result I will need to pay fees for my course, so I'm looking for some feedback on the nursing course just to be sure it's something I want to do.

Is there anyway in which the government would pay tuition fees through the NHS, either in Ireland, the UK or further afield. What are the pros and cons of the course, areas of difficulty, did you enjoy the course, certain qualities and attributes you should have as a person to persue this career. Chances for career progression and employment opportunities after you qualify. Also, wondering while you are studying would you qualify do work in a hospital in any area.

Any info, however big or small would be very much appreciated.

Cheers.

I am planning on studying Nursing as a mature student. I currently have a BSc in Applied Biosciences. As a result I will need to pay fees for my course, so I'm looking for some feedback on the nursing course just to be sure it's something I want to do.

Is there anyway in which the government would pay tuition fees through the NHS, either in Ireland, the UK or further afield. What are the pros and cons of the course, areas of difficulty, did you enjoy the course, certain qualities and attributes you should have as a person to persue this career. Chances for career progression and employment opportunities after you qualify. Also, wondering while you are studying would you qualify do work in a hospital in any area.

Any info, however big or small would be very much appreciated.

Cheers.

Hey kieraflynn2,

I'm not sure which course your on about, is it the new Applied Healthcare at WIT or is it the general nursing?

If you were looking to do a second degree, to the best of knowledge, I would imagine that any fees encountered would be at your own expense.

If your on about fees to the new course in WIT However, I am unsure as to what they are.

I hope this was of some help to you. :)

Hey blahblu,

I went to WIT today to discuss the offer I got and decided I am going to go with the BA (Hons) Health Promotion which I was offered today though CAO.

The college couldn't really give me any viable information on the course and so I decided to go with the above on the basis that it is a more established and defined course in comparison to the applied health care, also, I was informed that the health promotion can lead to a more clinical speciality though postgraduate study.

Don't let my decision defer you from applying.

Hope you find the right course for you :)

Well done, glad you've got a course.
    There really isn't enough information on it would feel like was taking a chance doing it. Was going to apply had forms filled out to send today but luckily got an offer from CAO I wasn't expecting :D

thanks for the info do, best of luck with course hope it goes well for you

• Registered Users Posts: 23 lighthouse76

Hi,
    just wondering what are the career prospects from completing this course? Is it care assistant? Or a step up course to get into nursing? Any other areas where you could work?Looking at the course subjects.. i would have a great interest in the contents. I would appreciate any feedback.

Many thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement