Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wondering about school supplies?

Options
  • 15-08-2013 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi Everyone,

We're an American family living in Co. Leitrim and our daughter is starting in Senior Infants this year. This is the first time we've had her in school in Ireland. We enrolled her at the end of the last school year and were told we would be receiving a book list, etc within a couple weeks. We have yet to receive anything and have talked to other parents who have not received anything either.

I guess I don't really know what to buy her as far as school supplies. In the U.S., each school has a specific list of X amount of No. 2 pencils, notebooks, etc. I've got her uniform items purchased and of course the backpack, etc, but in general, what school supplies will she need? I'm assuming there must be a standard number of items? I bought her workbooks already. I don't want to be unprepared for the first day of school and also don't want to wait until the last minute to purchase everything.

One parent with children in a different school mentioned 5 or 6 pencils, 7 or 8 workbooks, and coloured pencils? Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Each school is different, is there are a school website?In infants sometimes, the school buys all the stuff and bill the parents in Sept.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bluehoratio

It is Annaduff Mixed National School. If there is a website, I can't find it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

http://www.schooldays.ie/school/annaduff-mxd-n-s-rollnumber-13656C

Might be worth an email. Some principals may be checking email from time to time

• Registered Users Posts: 8 littlepink

Just wondering how you knew what workbooks to buy if you got no book list from the school?
    Usually a teacher will list specific supplies such as folders, copies etc. on the book list. If none have been listed, just buy a few HB pencils, maybe one triangular grip until you can check what's needed, a rubber, sharpener, colouring pencils and/or twistables and an easy to use pencil case. Or you could try phoning the school a few days before they reopen to see if there are any specific requirements.

But if the school is closed, why would the teacher be there a few days beforehand? We go in during the summer to sort rooms etc. but not as a staff, bar the day before opening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 littlepink

Well I wasn't thinking the teacher would be there or be available to talk to parents as, as you said, teachers would go in to set up individually, but in many schools, there would be a secretary or principal in the office for a few days before re opening who may be able to give the answer so it's worth a phone call. If there's no one there or no one available to answer the call, well the phone won't be answered will it!

Advertisement