Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to put car seat

Options
  • 15-08-2013 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭

Where is the best place to put the car seat?

I had planned to put it behind the driver seat so that when my friend is in the passenger seat she can turn around if the baby is crying etc

But the only issue is then taking the baby out of the car, if I am parked on a road we will be taking the baby out on the traffic side.

If I put the baby on the passenger side then my friend won't be able to turn around to her and neither would I as I will be driving.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

You won't be able to see rear-facing anyway.

We always put our fella in the rear passenger side. I think my thinking was that if someone drilled into the side of us, it was more likely to be the driver's side that got it. This was based on no evidence. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Das Kitty wrote: »
    You won't be able to see rear-facing anyway.

We always put our fella in the rear passenger side. I think my thinking was that if someone drilled into the side of us, it was more likely to be the driver's side that got it. This was based on no evidence. :pac:

we did the same too! :)

well we used put her in the front seat as a tiny baby rearfacing (with the passenger airbags turned off when she was there)

but it quickly got annoying having to constantly use the key to turn off/on airbags, so we bought one of those teddy bear mirrors you put on the rear seat to see them in your rear view mirror, and moved her to the rear passenger seat so we could pull in and reach her quickly in case of emergency,

and like you said above any time i have been crashed into its been the driver side they hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Exactly as I above I put her in back passenger for the same idea about a crash. I also got the mirror, it attaches on to rear head rest and you can view baba and as baba gets older she can see you too.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I didn't get a mirror so I wouldn't be tempted to take my eyes off the road. I never made anything but short trips anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

We got a mirror too but when the crash bar is up we can't see her anyway so the mirror is useless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭NBO

what's the crash bar? We have our baby in the rear passenger side too with a mirror so I can see baby when driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I have had my almost two year old behind the passenger seat, he's also rear facing, with a small mirror.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

My daughter has always been behind the driver. No idea why we put her that side in the first place...possibly so I could reach back to her, hold her hand when OH is driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Thanks everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

The handle on the maxi cosi apparently (I say apparently because I didn't know it for 6 months) is a crash bar so it should always be forward when the baby is in the car. The idea is that the handle would take the initial impact in a collision etc. Maybe everyone else knew this from the beginning but we didn't.

• Advertisement

The handle on the maxi cosi apparently (I say apparently because I didn't know it for 6 months) is a crash bar so it should always be forward when the baby is in the car. The idea is that the handle would take the initial impact in a collision etc. Maybe everyone else knew this from the beginning but we didn't.

we didn't either until one day we happened across the manual and read it :o

ours was the graco baby seat

hoodwinked wrote: »
    we didn't either until one day we happened across the manual and read it :o

ours was the graco baby seat

God I had the Graco and didn't know that either, will know for next time to move it forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭NBO

woops, never knew that. Baby is 6 months old and I hate having the candle up as I can't see him. He has bad reflux and I like to see if I need to pull in to clean him up. handle will be going up tomorrow

Suucee wrote: »
    God I had the Graco and didn't know that either, will know for next time to move it forward.

ours was an old model, so maybe check your manual before you do :)

hoodwinked wrote: »
    ours was an old model, so maybe check your manual before you do :)

Well our 15.5 month old isnt in it anymore and we wont be needing it again until march but will definetly check it out.
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I remember reading somewhere befoe that the middle is actually the safest place for baby in car seat. Ok if you just have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I remember reading somewhere befoe that the middle is actually the safest place for baby in car seat. Ok if you just have one.

The middle? Do they think our backs are made of rubber bands!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Easier to reach and see them behind passenger seat. Plus, baby is easier to get out on footpath side than traffic side.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It is suggested that the middle is the safest but as most cars do not have 3 isofix points in the back they suggest behind the driver as the next safest.
    I put the 2 rear facing isofix seats at the sides and the big girl in her high back booster in the middle. I always put the handle up on the maxi cosi too.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

I have car seat behind passenger seat and use the mirror aswell to see baby, i can see him perfectly with handle on maxi cosi in the up position, seat is sitting on easybase 2 ( the clip in clip out base, saves using seat belt every time)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

I always put mine behind driver seat
    Can't be tempted to turnaround and if they are ok or check why they're crying....have to stop the car and get out ...way safer IMO than 'quickly' checking them inthe mirror... I know somebody that crashed into the ditch cos they had tried to (literally single handily) pick up a toy or something. Now if they've had to pull in to check on baba it wouldn't have happened
    Also I always had the impression passenger side was more dangerous than drivers side. Don't know why though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

We've already had our daughter in the rear behind the passenger seat, don't really know why. Always had the handle up on our graco baby seat, because as others said, it's used as a crash bar. Due in November, so the next baby will probably be behind the drives seat. Both will be rear facing, so hopefully placate each other a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I always put mine behind driver seat
    Can't be tempted to turnaround and if they are ok or check why they're crying....have to stop the car and get out ...way safer IMO than 'quickly' checking them inthe mirror... I know somebody that crashed into the ditch cos they had tried to (literally single handily) pick up a toy or something. Now if they've had to pull in to check on baba it wouldn't have happened
    Also I always had the impression passenger side was more dangerous than drivers side. Don't know why though
    same as that (when we had 1)

not really for safety but quite obviously the only person with free hands is the passenger so having the kid behind the driver meant the passenger could deal with issues as they crop up. On long drives on the motorway this is handy, especially on Irish motorways where there's nowhere to stop anyhow so you do have to deal with things whilst moving!

Advertisement