Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's Time To Burn

Options
  • 15-08-2013 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

Going to start this log to try and keep my motivation up and record my training for the next year or so till I reach my goal of an Olympic distance triathlon at some stage next year. I haven’t set a time goal as of yet but maybe someone could advise a good time to aim for it being my first one. Another couple of major reasons to keep the log is because I seem to have less people to train with from friends moving abroad and people not having the time / interest to do something like this anymore.

I’m currently not in a great place when it comes to fitness & weight. I haven’t done any exercise in the last 5 month and I’d say I’m at least 20lbs over weight (currently 14st 13lbs, 6.0ft tall, 29 years old).

I did complete a sprint triathlon (Letterkenny Sprint Tri) in 2011 and really enjoyed the experience so as I have most of the equipment and I enjoyed it this seems like the logical thing to do for fitness and its always been a goal of mine. When I say I completed it, that’s about it I just completed it and cramped up a lot after coming off the bike and during the run probably due to lack of fitness.

The times were
    Swim: 14:14
    Bike: 45:51
    Run: 28:25
    Total: 1:31:13.

I was happy to complete it but found it very hard especially the bike and run. I’d say im an above average swimmer but terrible at cycling and find running very difficult so will have to put a lot of effort into these. I’ve never run further than 6km so that probably give you some idea.

I currently have a gym membership with a pool that runs out in September so id be interested to hear if people think I should renew it or spend the money on home equipment like a turbo trainer. And also if it’s worth joining a Tri Club? I’m living in Glasnevin in Dublin so there is probably a few options open to me. Anyone have any experience with them around that area?

My plan at the minute is to get training for a few 5k runs, 10k runs and sprint triathlons early next year and then later in the summer go for the Olympic distance. I’ve left myself plenty of time to reach my goal I think. Right now I just want to see where I am at so I plan to do a 750m swim, 5k run and 20k cycle over the next few days to record a starting point and can make a plan from there. I will probably not be able to complete these without breaks.

All advice is very welcome, if you see something unrealistic or something that’s a bad idea please let me know.

I’d like advice on what events I should plan to complete next year on the run up to completing an Olympic distance event. I’m thinking the Tri Athy sprint anyway either as first or second event but don’t have a clue after that, luckily it seems there are lots to choose from.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭blainj2

First day back yesterday, went out to put down a marker for a 5k run.

Thursday 15th August, 2013
    5K Run
    Time: 30:00
    Average Speed : 10Km
    Average Pace: 5:58 min/Km

2hs3trm.jpg

Found a decent track to run close to the house so was happy about that. Looked at the phone after 1.4k and though I was never going to get through it but ended up struggling on for the 5k only stopping once for a few seconds to re-tie a lace. Time is poor but that just means i have plenty to improve on :D.

Just using sports tracker to record my training at the minute. find it good enough and will probably keep using it till i get into it a bit more. Will probably try and get out for the cycle / swim this evening depending on the weather.

Something unexpectedly came up over the weekend which didn't allow me to do any training. This might not have been the worst thing as my legs were in bit for a few days from the run!! Anyways back to it yesterday.

Monday 19th August, 2013
    Done a bit of a service on the bike (Felt F85) to make sure everything was in good working order as I dont think ive used it since January. Had a look around the local area on google maps to try and pick out a route out for a 20Km cycle.

Set off but after about 5 minutes i realised the route i had picked out wasn't going to be suitable for cycling due to there being no cycle lanes and the road being very busy and dangerous. Made a change to the route but it looks like the cycle lanes in the area are either non existent or in really bad condition which is disappointing.

Ended up doing a 35 minute ride just to get back into the swing of things and was happy at the end even though i came across a bit of a hill and had nothing in the tank for it!. Average speed was way down due to alot of traffic lights and stops but just happy to have gotten back out on the bike.

I think ill head for the cycle lane from clontarf - howth or out by the airport for the next outing later this week. Planning to go to the pool later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

blainj2 wrote: »
    And also if it’s worth joining a Tri Club? I’m living in Glasnevin in Dublin so there is probably a few options open to me. Anyone have any experience with them around that area?

Join 3D. They swim just down the road from you in Belvedere college, and run in and bike from the Pheonix Park. There's a good chance there is another member just around the corner from you. As a relative beginner, the wealth of knowledge available to you through a club is worth every penny of the membership fee and more. Not to mention the camaraderie and friendly rivalry of training with and then racing against (and trying to beat) your clubmates. And don't go worrying about thinking you are too slow, or not fit enough for a club. You will find plenty of people at your level, no matter what that level is (unless you're faster than me, then stay away :D ).

Best of luck with the log.

Thanks for the advice BTH ill definitely look into is shortly and will probably join before long.

Tuesday 20th August, 2013
    Put down a marker for a swim went a bit better than i thought. I do a bit of surfing at the weekend so maybe that helped to keep my swimming at an ok level.

Warm up - 1 x 100m

750m tt - 14:17 (Average/100m ~1:55)

Technique Practice - 4 x 100m

Total - 1250m

Went out for a short cycle this evening to check out another potential route which turned out to be fairly good. Its only either a 4km or 5.5km loop depending on which way i go but its right beside the house so will be handy and it will allow me to easily see improvements. Also seen a few runners on it so will be perfect for running too by the looks of it.

Wednesday 21st August, 2013
    Distance: 14km
    Time: 34:42
    Average Speed: 24.1km/h

I am so slow on the bike :-(
    Suppose it means i have plenty to work and improve on.

The strava app didnt capture a few stops i had to make so its not quiet as bad as the above but still a bit disappointing.

On the 4Km loop which i done twice my best time was 9:27 with average speed of 25.6Km so im gonna work on that for the next few rides and just keep at it. With general fitness needing to be improved and a decent amount of weight loss needed im not too worried about times at the minute just sticking at it.

• Advertisement

Thursday 22nd August, 2013
    Had to head to Donegal right after work so didn't leave much time for anything when i got home. No harm having a day off anyway.

Friday 23rd August, 2013
    1hr on the cross trainer at home
    18 min warm up
    6 minute high intensity - hr between 170 & 180
    6 minute recovery
    6 minute recovery
    12 minute recovery & warm down

Saturday 24th August, 2013
    2hr Surfing
    Not exactly a well known triathlon training exercise but im probably going to change that :). Waves were 6-7ft with light onshore wind and it was pretty mental out there. Plenty of paddling so only lasted for 2hrs

Sunday 25th August, 2013
    Surfing 3.5hrs
    Waves were 4-5ft light on shore wind. Caught the best wave of my life, nothing special by surfing standards as im still an improver. Great day had. Was wrecked after and fell asleep on the couch for 30 minutes which shows how much effort is required.

Plan for the rest of this week is a run tonight and then alternate between bike and pool for the rest of the week.

Its only either a 4km or 5.5km loop depending on which way i go but its right beside the house so will be handy and it will allow me to easily see improvements. Also seen a few runners on it so will be perfect for running too by the looks of it.

4km loop? Glasnevin? Wednesday evening and people running on it? Interesting..... Would your loop go past the cemetary, and also past the botanic gardens? I may know somebody who was running it last wednesday eve.

Afraid not. I think i know the loop you are talking about but the loop have come across is not far away from that.

I've linked it below. Its pretty good as there are no real places you have to wait for traffic lights etc

Glasnevin Loop

Monday 26th August, 2013
    4.7K Run
    Time: 27:33
    Average Speed : 10.23Km/h
    Average Pace: 5:49 min/Km

Slight improvement on last run. Would have shaved 45 seconds off last time if i had run the whole 5k. Thought i had run the full distance but made a bit of a miscalculation when making my way back home. Felt fine at the end and could have pushed a bit harder if needed. Gonna stick at it for the next two week until a 1 week holiday which is well overdue. If i do a bit on the holiday and stay at it when i get home ill probably buy a gps training watch. I've been looking at the Garmin 910xt, some good deals on it but a few problems reported too. Will look into it a bit more around the time.

Also weighed in this morning and have lost 7lbs since the 15th which was a nice bonus. Currently 202.1lbs / 91.6Kgs

Tuesday 27th August, 2013
    Swim

1 x 100m Warm Up
    8 x 200m
    2 x 100m Warm Down

The time for the 200m were

1 - 3:34
    2 - 3:35
    3 - 3:35
    4 - 3:37
    5 - 3:34
    6 - 3:42
    7 - 3:36
    8 - 3:38

TBH i know nothing about swim training, i just seen someone in another training log doing something similar :p

I should probably look into it a bit more. I was using a crappy stopwatch on a wrist watch to keep time which wasn't great. Pool was quiet enough though and there was a training session going on in one of the other lanes so that kept it interesting. 10 minutes in the sauna and 10 minutes in the steam room afterwards was really nice.

I suppose i could work towards getting them all around 3:30.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

I know that loop well, I used to live out that way-ish. Though I started at Swords Road / Griffith Avenue and continued on across Collins Ave to Ballygall Road.

Nice drag up Ballymun Road or Ballygall depending on the direction you're going.

Wednesday 29th August, 2013
    1hr 15minutes of Astro Football.

Was a friendly non competitive game so wasn't too testing.

Decided to do a cycle when i got home but a couple of minutes after i got out i realised the football had taken more out of the legs then i had thought. Also after about 15 minutes the left hamstring and right calf started to get tight so i just made my way home. On a plus i set PB's on the two climbs and 4km loop i do :D

Cycle
    Distance: 8.4km
    Time: 20:29
    Average Speed: 24.6km/h

4km Loop
    Previous best - 9:27 - 25.6km/h
    New Record - 9:03 - 26.7km/h

Thursday 29th August, 2013

Cycle

Distance: 21.1km
    Time: 50:49
    Average Speed: 25.0km/h

Was too good of an evening not to do something outside so ditched the swim and went out the n2 / airport for a cycle. Enjoyed the roads out there and found a few routes for longer cycles. Over all a good cycle with average speeds creeping up all the time. Still crap though :p

Friday 30th August, 2013
    Couldn't fit anything in as had to drive to Donegal and had plans when i got home

Saturday 31st August, 2013
    Surfing 2.5hrs. Tried a new beach (Streedagh). Was a good improving session, realised a good few things i need to keep improving on.

Sunday 1st September, 2013
    Weather was terrible so kinda used this as an excuse which isnt great. Had surfing planned but it was way too stormy.

Not much to report so am a bit annoyed i didn't do more. Find it a lot harder in Donegal to train which will have to change it i want to reach my goals.

Will put in a better effort this week as im away on holidays all next week :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭roseybear

Where were u 2 mnths ago when I was living in glasnevin and trying t give myself a kick up the ass and train! Im looking at joining 3d, heard good things about them. Am also looking at moving to oly distance next yr, only new to it all and did my first sprint this yr! Run is my best, swim and bike not so good but am nt consistent when it comes t training for them.. like, at all... over on the navan rd now and if u look at the cycle forum theres a few of us gna maybe start meeting in the phoenix park for spins? Iv nvr met any of the boardies talking about it bt sounds promising

Haha 2 months ago i wasn't doing a whole lot. Trying to give myself a bit of a kick up the hole.

I looked into joining 3d too but it seems to not really make sense to do it till January to coincide with Triathlon Ireland membership to get the most out of it. (I currently haven't got a TI membership this year)

I'm currently swimming in DCU so not sure what i will do when my membership runs out in a few weeks. its a nice gym and pool though.

I definitely be up for meeting up for cycling. Never cycled in a group and some people could give me pointers as i have a very low opinion of my cycling skills

How did the sprint go? Are ya hooked now?

Haha 2 months ago i wasn't doing a whole lot. Trying to give myself a bit of a kick up the hole.

I looked into joining 3d too but it seems to not really make sense to do it till January to coincide with Triathlon Ireland membership to get the most out of it. (I currently haven't got a TI membership this year)

I'm currently swimming in DCU so not sure what i will do when my membership runs out in a few weeks. its a nice gym and pool though.

I definitely be up for meeting up for cycling. Never cycled in a group and some people could give me pointers as i have a very low opinion of my cycling skills

How did the sprint go? Are ya hooked now?

Im out in dcu too! Was looking at going to the nac instead but I do like the weights room in dcu. I had 3 very poor weeks leading up to it which made it painful on the day but delighted to do it. Soose t b doing tri an mhi this weekend, lead up to this hasnt been great either but il do it anyway

Just FYI, you can join TI and most clubs (including 3D :D ) for 2014 once the 2013 race season ends. Therefore I would expect club and TI membership to open on 1 October. The sooner you get training with a club the better in my opinion.

Monday 2nd September, 2013

Run

Distance:5K
    Time: 28:52
    Average Speed : 10.35Km/h
    Average Pace: 5:46 min/Km

Motivation starting to wander a bit, nearly didn't go out this evening but really happy that i did. Another slight improvement on the last run. Didn't push too hard and the legs felt good at the end so fitness is slowly increasing for sure.

Group spin frm popes cross wed at 6pm if ur off. It's the 1st one so we'll all b strangers!

• Advertisement

Group spin frm popes cross wed at 6pm if ur off. It's the 1st one so we'll all b strangers!

Fair play to ya for going ahead with it! I normally have astro at this time but might give it a miss, not sure yet.

What level are people at who are going. What is the plan for it?

Fair play to ya for going ahead with it! I normally have astro at this time but might give it a miss, not sure yet.

What level are people at who are going. What is the plan for it?

They were saying 25km/hr but theyll go with what ppl r able for. About 60km but can cut shorter r longer depending in what ppl want, headin out blanch dunboyne way

Tuesday 3rd September, 2013

Swim

1 x 100m Warm Up
    10 x 200m
    2 x 100m Warm Down

Total 2,300m

Didn't time the 200m sets as it was a bit of hassle and wasn't in the mood. I don't really have anything good for recording them at the minute. Done them at a good pace as there was someone a good bit faster than me in the same lane doing something similar.

roseybear wrote: »
    They were saying 25km/hr but theyll go with what ppl r able for. About 60km but can cut shorter r longer depending in what ppl want, headin out blanch dunboyne way

Seen the thread in the cycling forum about this. Wont make it today, thanks for the offer anyway. Don't think id make 50/60km at the minute tbh. Bit more training on the bike needed before im at that stage.

Seen the thread in the cycling forum about this. Wont make it today, thanks for the offer anyway. Don't think id make 50/60km at the minute tbh. Bit more training on the bike needed before im at that stage.

Keep an eye on it sure. Might cya in dcu have t gt some swimming in b4 tri an mhi sat!!

Keep an eye on it sure. Might cya in dcu have t gt some swimming in b4 tri an mhi sat!!

Wednesday 4th September, 2013

Astro

Just done 1hr of astro, was a lovely evening and have a few other things to get ready for holiday so gonna leave it at that.

Thursday 5th September, 2013

Cycle

Distance: 26.1km
    Time: 1:00:03
    Average Speed: 26.1km/h

4km Loop
    Time: 8:51
    Average Speed: 27.3km/h

Lovely evening for a cycle. Not too windy, hot or cold :D. Longest cycle since I've started training again even though it not very long. Done the 4km loop around Ballygall right at the end and improved the best time by 12 seconds so happy about that. Average speed up a decent bit too. All good and improving slowly.

• Advertisement

Monday 16th September, 2013

Run

Distance:5K
    Time: 29:32
    Average Speed : 10.1Km/h
    Average Pace: 5:55 min/Km

Legs were not great this evening and didn't feel great, suppose thats what a week of lying about stuffing yourself will do.

Survived the holiday anyway despite copious amount of amazing Mediterranean food and wine. Not too much partying which was good because i wanted it to be a relaxing holiday.

On the exercise front i done practically nothing which i had resigned to before i left. A bit of swimming and walking.

Looking into getting a turbo trainer now which i hope to purchase over the next few days. Glad i went for the run today, would have been so easy not to.

Advertisement